slim67

D180

DennisThornton
17 minutes ago, slim67 said:

We've got an older JD 4100 at work that is used for plowing sidewalks and I've used it to cut grass. It has a loader attachment for grounds use in the nice months. If it were mine id have the loader on in the winter with a rear grader blade. As much as I love my little tractors that would be out of their league.

I'd love to have that or even smaller.

T-Mo
21 hours ago, Achto said:

Careful @slim67. We are not supposed to post notifications like this. FYI

This true - but mainly links.  But, it seems like the reason why we don't allow links to ads, auctions, etc. would apply here.  Giving too much information can lead to someone swooping in and "stealing" the item when another member has arrangements in place to buy it.

Personally I would rather not see these things on RS, it reeks of getting around a rule in place, and I would rather see it avoided here. Though not technically against the rules, why push the envelope?  Just my 2 cents here.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

slim67
41 minutes ago, T-Mo said:

This true - but mainly links.  But, it seems like the reason why we don't allow links to ads, auctions, etc. would apply here.  Giving too much information can lead to someone swooping in and "stealing" the item when another member has arrangements in place to buy it.

Personally I would rather not see these things on RS, it reeks of getting around a rule in place, and I would rather see it avoided here. Though not technically against the rules, why push the envelope?  Just my 2 cents here.

I will err on the side of caution from now on. That explains it enough for me.

nylyon

These types of posts do actually break the rules, but don't worry no one is getting kicked off the forum. When a member posts a classified ad in the general forum area, we generally lock that ad, and ask them to please use the classified section as that is where classified ads belong.  But the classifieds are for member equipment only and we do not allow ads from other sites. "The classifieds are for MEMBER equipment only. Please do not post links to ad's or auctions which are hosted on other sites. Any such postings will be deleted".  This is where it's against RedSquare rules. 

There are many reasons why, and some of them were discussed above. I realize some members disagree with not allowing ads from other sites.  Two other reasons are, I personally do not want this forum littered with links or ads to items which don't belong to our members.  Imagine coming here and seeing ad over ad for machines, parts etc scattered throughout the pages. Finally, and it's happened, the owner of the machine may not want his listing on the forum and open for discussion on RedSquare.

We generally don't mind if the post is in response to a question, such as "Anyone know of a D180 with loader for sale"  A valid response would be, yes I saw one on FaceBook Marketplace here: (insert more description).  Other places where things are usually acceptable is when you've noticed a great deal or special run by a storefront.  "Harbor freight has mower tire changer tools on-sale until July 3rd for $19.95, check it out link".  

Hope this makes sense and helps.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

DennisThornton
39 minutes ago, nylyon said:

These types of posts do actually break the rules, but don't worry no one is getting kicked off the forum. When a member posts a classified ad in the general forum area, we generally lock that ad, and ask them to please use the classified section as that is where classified ads belong.  But the classifieds are for member equipment only and we do not allow ads from other sites. "The classifieds are for MEMBER equipment only. Please do not post links to ad's or auctions which are hosted on other sites. Any such postings will be deleted".  This is where it's against RedSquare rules. 

There are many reasons why, and some of them were discussed above. I realize some members disagree with not allowing ads from other sites.  Two other reasons are, I personally do not want this forum littered with links or ads to items which don't belong to our members.  Imagine coming here and seeing ad over ad for machines, parts etc scattered throughout the pages. Finally, and it's happened, the owner of the machine may not want his listing on the forum and open for discussion on RedSquare.

We generally don't mind if the post is in response to a question, such as "Anyone know of a D180 with loader for sale"  A valid response would be, yes I saw one on FaceBook Marketplace here: (insert more description).  Other places where things are usually acceptable is when you've noticed a great deal or special run by a storefront.  "Harbor freight has mower tire changer tools on-sale until July 3rd for $19.95, check it out link".  

Hope this makes sense and helps.

I have automatic searches on local Craigslistings and though I try to restrict them to within my desired range they sometimes pop up further than I want to go.  I'm not going to get that bargain but I'd be almost as happy if another member did.  

How do I pass that opportunity on without violating the guidelines here?  Perhaps another category?

• Like 1

nylyon

Rest assured, if you saw it on Craigslist or FaceBook, 80 million other Wheel Horse collectors have as well. 

• Like 2

DennisThornton
7 minutes ago, nylyon said:

Rest assured, if you saw it on Craigslist or FaceBook, 80 million other Wheel Horse collectors have as well. 

I sure. 

Local listings?  Or just don't post anything from someone else for sale? 

I wouldn't want this forum cluttered with sales either, and it isn't, perhaps due to the rules, but also the few that make it through are filtered by our members and not your run of the mill add.  I've found them interesting.  You've been here far longer than me and perhaps adds have already proven themselves to cause more trouble than they are worth! 

But if there is a way, it's own category, with restrictions, or whatever to not cause issues...

nylyon

These are often WAY more trouble than they are worth.  Everyone wants to strut their knowledge and sometimes when an unknowing person places an ad on Craigslist or locally, a do-gooder who is TOO far away feels obligated to contact the seller "helping" them and educating them on what they "really" have.  

Years ago, a moderator here was striking a deal on buying 2 seniors. They came to an agreement to purchase, but a "do gooder" from THIS site, stepped in and educated the seller what they had.  The do-gooder had NO way to get these, nor even want them. Their only intention was to show off their knowledge to the seller.  Bottom line, the moderator was only able to purchase one of those tractors as the seller instantly jacked the price for both basically screwing the moderator out of the purchase.

There are also countless other examples where there was SUCH a great deal, and a member was in contact to purchase, but someone else comes in with cash first and swipes the machine away.  What happens in all of these scenario's is people want, and expect RedSquare admins and moderators to flag people, ban them, report them or some other disciplinary action.

Maybe you've done it too, you see an ad for someone saying "for sale old wheel horse wagon $50 obo, must pick up Washington State". Maybe you're not interested in the 4 wheel wagon or it's too far away, but you are tempted to send a note "Hey, wanted to let you know, that wagon is a collectable and you can get $400 for that".  Meanwhile our member from Washington was on their way to pick it up, and the gentlemen's agreement is no longer honored.

On the opposite spectrum, there have been posts here saying "check out this POS the idiot is looking for $7000 saying it's a collectible".  Well, here too this has happened and the seller a member here, not really appreciating the publicity given to his sale.  

Finally, when posted in the forums, these ads stick around FAR longer than the sale does.  The original re-poster never ever comes back to say, hey this was sold, because they have no idea if it was, and it stays out there for ever.  This is of no benefit to the members here and cleaning it up falls on the moderators. 

I appreciate the desire to help folks out, but remember "no good deed goes unpunished".

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

DennisThornton
49 minutes ago, nylyon said:

These are often WAY more trouble than they are worth.  Everyone wants to strut their knowledge and sometimes when an unknowing person places an ad on Craigslist or locally, a do-gooder who is TOO far away feels obligated to contact the seller "helping" them and educating them on what they "really" have.  

Years ago, a moderator here was striking a deal on buying 2 seniors. They came to an agreement to purchase, but a "do gooder" from THIS site, stepped in and educated the seller what they had.  The do-gooder had NO way to get these, nor even want them. Their only intention was to show off their knowledge to the seller.  Bottom line, the moderator was only able to purchase one of those tractors as the seller instantly jacked the price for both basically screwing the moderator out of the purchase.

There are also countless other examples where there was SUCH a great deal, and a member was in contact to purchase, but someone else comes in with cash first and swipes the machine away.  What happens in all of these scenario's is people want, and expect RedSquare admins and moderators to flag people, ban them, report them or some other disciplinary action.

Maybe you've done it too, you see an ad for someone saying "for sale old wheel horse wagon $50 obo, must pick up Washington State". Maybe you're not interested in the 4 wheel wagon or it's too far away, but you are tempted to send a note "Hey, wanted to let you know, that wagon is a collectable and you can get $400 for that".  Meanwhile our member from Washington was on their way to pick it up, and the gentlemen's agreement is no longer honored.

On the opposite spectrum, there have been posts here saying "check out this POS the idiot is looking for $7000 saying it's a collectible".  Well, here too this has happened and the seller a member here, not really appreciating the publicity given to his sale.  

Finally, when posted in the forums, these ads stick around FAR longer than the sale does.  The original re-poster never ever comes back to say, hey this was sold, because they have no idea if it was, and it stays out there for ever.  This is of no benefit to the members here and cleaning it up falls on the moderators. 

I appreciate the desire to help folks out, but remember "no good deed goes unpunished".

Chuckle!  By your great examples I understand.  And I could see every instance happening sooner or later, even here.  Thanks for the explanations! 

Hey, I just saw...

• Haha 2

slim67
54 minutes ago, nylyon said:

no good deed goes unpunished".

Unfortunately that is a sad but true statement. Probably why people have stopped doing good deeds. Thanks for clarifying that for all of us in the gray area.

• Like 2

D200 in Colo.

I have owned my D200 for about 15 years, old gentleman selling it had no idea what it was worth. It was not running and the FEL was not mounted. It had sat for several years and had to be winched onto my trailer. We agreed on a price of $300.00, that sounds like a huge bargain but I immediately spent twice that much getting it running but the Kohler engine is rock solid. I spent another $250.00 or so for a 3-point hitch off Ebay. Hydro unit leaks and fluid is added every time I use it, maybe a rebuild in the future. And yes it takes half an acre to turn it. I paid $100.00 for a NOS pulley off Ebay to run the rear PTO and I don't even own any PTO driven implements, go figure, I've got the fever. It's about 40 yrs. old so I've replaced many loader hoses. Loader works good but bottom of bucket is rusting out, neighbor built me some loader forks. Loader saves wear and tear on my 70 year old back. A great member of my herd of mixed tractors, red blue and green, total of 10.

• Like 2

Handy Don
13 hours ago, D200 in Colo. said:

I have owned my D200 for about 15 years, old gentleman selling it had no idea what it was worth. It was not running and the FEL was not mounted. It had sat for several years and had to be winched onto my trailer. We agreed on a price of $300.00, that sounds like a huge bargain but I immediately spent twice that much getting it running but the Kohler engine is rock solid. I spent another $250.00 or so for a 3-point hitch off Ebay. Hydro unit leaks and fluid is added every time I use it, maybe a rebuild in the future. And yes it takes half an acre to turn it. I paid $100.00 for a NOS pulley off Ebay to run the rear PTO and I don't even own any PTO driven implements, go figure, I've got the fever. It's about 40 yrs. old so I've replaced many loader hoses. Loader works good but bottom of bucket is rusting out, neighbor built me some loader forks. Loader saves wear and tear on my 70 year old back. A great member of my herd of mixed tractors, red blue and green, total of 10.

So in the end, $300 was a fair price!