BOB ELLISON

C160 lift valve rebuild

BOB ELLISON

I have a leak at the lift valve cap on my c160. It started out as just a drip very slowly. Yesterday as I was plowing the drip really picked up and it was Dripping quite fast and the handle was coming back to far. i couldn't get lt to lift the plow until I pushed the handle forward just a little bit. I was in the middle a clearing my driveway of the heavy snow we just had. So I stopped to check the rear Hydro fluid level and it was okay so far. So I continued plowing till I got it done backed it in the garage and I removed the lift valve. I removed the cap with the two screws and the spring and sholder bolt fell out. The shoulder bolt unscrewed it self.has anyone else had this happen??? I did order the kit from Lowell. Its had a very small drip from the cap for some time but it never amounted to more then a half teaspoon full in a month. My questions are

Should I rebuild the whole valve or just replace o_rings at the spool valve ends.

What type gasket to use on the end cap and the spacer block.

How tight should the sholder bolt be to stop it from backing out.

Is there torque spec for the bolts and the shoulder bolt. 

gwest_ca

There may be something in this

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

Thank you @gwest_ca 

Ive downloaded it already. Im just interested in opinions and  why that sholder bolt came out. 

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, BOB ELLISON said:

why that sholder bolt came out.

I can't answer that, but I can tell you this:

I rebuilt my valve last year because it was 'weeping' between the side plates.  When I went to disassemble it the side cover bolts were LOOSE!  as in barely snugged down.

Taking a guess, I would say that someone had yours apart at some point and didn't tighten that bolt.

5 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

Should I rebuild the whole valve or just replace o_rings at the spool valve ends.

If you've got the valve out, and the full kit to rebuild, I would say go ahead and do the whole thing.  Relatively speaking it's a rather easy job.  Took me all of an hour or so, including cleaning the parts.

Be aware that there are some very thin, nearly invisible (transparent) plastic spacers between the side plates and the body.  They are VERY easy to lose if you don't know that they're there.  I don't know their function but they must have one else they wouldn't be there.  I put them back in, just because.

image.png.5a77becf143a97228fc76a3dd42dbd6f.png

image.png.e5776de4b93f753d605eb9488a0dbeb4.png

5 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

What type gasket to use on the end cap and the spacer block.

I don't know that you need one?  I don't recall there being one on mine and as I recall there was no oil in the end cap.  The O-ring on the shuttle should seal that.  Sounds as if your O-ring failed.

I had a little bit of an issue the first time I tried to put the end cap back on.  Something about the 'special washer' not being installed correctly so watch out for that.  If the cap doesn't fit right, check the washer alignment instead of muscling the screws down tight.

image.png.ba5d5e6b65db36aea2d7d40dc25d6b3c.png

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Excellent 1

BOB ELLISON

Sorry I didn't follow-up on this earlier but I got the kit from Lowell and installed it myself. 

Every thing went in perfectly. 

No more leaks.

I didn't take any pictures sorry again. 

• Excellent 2
  • Sad 1