cschannuth

Charger 12 Hydro Fluid Level

cschannuth

Hello all. I’ve done quite a bit of searching and I probably missed it but I’m wondering if the dipstick should be screwed in or not when checking the fluid level in the Sunstrand Hydro?

Thanks 

pfrederi
3 minutes ago, cschannuth said:

Hello all. I’ve done quite a bit of searching and I probably missed it but I’m wondering if the dipstick should be screwed in or not when checking the fluid level in the Sunstrand Hydro?

Thanks 

Manual doesn't provide much guidance.  Kohler is about the only thing in the world where you do not screw in the dipstick to read . (Techy B&S etc. tell you to screw it in)  I doubt the small variance would make any difference the reservoir is quite large...  I screw mine in but whatever floats your boat

Edited by pfrederi
  • Thanks 1

cschannuth
3 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Manual doesn't provide much guidance.  Kohler is about the only thing in the world where you do not screw in the dipstick to read . (Techy B&S etc. tell you to screw it in)  I doubt the small variance would make any difference the reservoir is quite large...  I screw mine in but whatever floats your boat

Thanks. Yeah, I checked the manual and it didn’t say so I will probably go ahead and screw it in. Do you know if it matters whether the Hydro has been warmed up through use or is it OK to do it while cold.

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, cschannuth said:

matters whether the Hydro has been warmed up through use or is it OK to do it while cold.

I think as a 'good practice' it's always best to warm it up a bit first.  My hydro is a bit sluggish when cold.  I let it run for about 5 minutes before use in the cold.

cschannuth
4 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I think as a 'good practice' it's always best to warm it up a bit first.  My hydro is a bit sluggish when cold.  I let it run for about 5 minutes before use in the cold.

My plow tractor sits in my 70° wood heated basement so I guess, theoretically, it’s somewhat warm already.  Thanks 

rjg854

I wouldn't think it would matter if it was warm or cold, oil doesn't expand or contract so the level should be the level. 

• Thanks 1

Jeff-C175
3 hours ago, rjg854 said:

I wouldn't think it would matter if it was warm or cold,

Surprised me too the first time I ran it in the cold.  Definitely needed a few minutes before it starts working normally.  Maybe the oil is thickerer?

rjg854

If you're talking about operation, that's a different animal. My hydros seem to work right away, alltho I do let it warm up a bit before I put it to work.

Checking oil level, I don't think it matters much if the transmission is warm or cold. 

• Like 1

pfrederi

Seriously... they hold about 5 qts plus or minus a half pint makes no difference....

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
59 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

talking about operation,

I misread the question, I did think he was talking about operation!

Edited by Jeff-C175