Maxwell-8

dual pto shaft engine

Maxwell-8

So I have this sickle mower: nothing special. but it's engine is special. 

It's hard to show on pics. But it has 2 pto shafts, one vertical as so is the cranck, but it got a horizontal shaft too, for spinning the wheels.

It is not a bolt on thing, it's coming strait out of the cranckcase/oilpan. I have never seen that, but see ain't running at t he moment. I bet it's close to impossible finding a replacement engine for it.

I guess it has a spider gear inside the engine for making the horizontal shaft possible

image.png.117dd117aae2461a57c9c5d47b216c34.pngimage.png.7292b875cf497a3345a07fce65e3cd01.png

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 2

Maxwell-8

image.png.1a0828e435e4cd06c9ce42045f34801c.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

that is weird

appears to be a Tecumseh...??    is it two stroke or four stroke?  any numbers on it?

• Like 1

Maxwell-8

Gone have to look for numbers. no stickers so i don't know witch brand. It is 4 stoke.

I also can't find a single picture on the engine, nor the mower itself. Must be super rare.

Edited by Maxwell-8

the recoil and blower housing makes me think Tecumseh

• Thanks 1

Skwerl58

This style engine appears to be what is used on some older self propelled mowers and equipment. Last year I worked on my neighbors old mid 80's  Montgomery Wards self propelled push mower and it has a shaft with a gear that drives a chain to the rear wheels. It was a Briggs & Stratton 3.5hp. Most of the newer self propelled are belt driven from the crank shaft out of the bottom.

Stepney

Thats a pretty rare engine. B&S made a similar design in the 70-80's period. You can find them on a number of oddball US mowers. I had a Sarlo with one. 

Over in Europe.. maybe an ATCO?

The Teccy.. just about an impossibility to find today. VH50 may be the model there. I seem to remember that style on old Toro machines..