The Tuul Crib

What oil for Gravley trans

The Tuul Crib

Trying to figure out what oil to put in this transmission. Should I put 90 weight or something else? Anyone know?

1BDF8E2D-FF06-4E06-BF21-0B4F74FE6442.jpeg

peter lena

tuul crib, that 5260 looks like a beast !, iron and steel , with a regular maintenance that thing will live on, would love to give that a rub down with penetrating oil on a clean cloth , rub it down till dry , probably a couple of times , till the paint " breaks "  its grunge look ,at that point will take a  polish shine. Really like waking up a unit like that , just going over every functional point , just dreaming , pete

gwest_ca

Many years ago there was a well respected Gravely dealer on the Yahoo Gravely forum. Name is John L - forget how he spelt the last name. They serviced many high hour machines and said there was a distinct advantage to using gear oil in the transmissions. I think the focus was on the planetary gears. I have used GL5 since and no problems on a machine that everyone thought was worn out when I got it. Came off a golf course.

Jonh L had a 4-wheel Gravely that he pulled with. It had what looked like a 6 foot long hood. Some may remember it.

Garry

The Tuul Crib
3 hours ago, peter lena said:

tuul crib, that 5260 looks like a beast !, iron and steel , with a regular maintenance that thing will live on, would love to give that a rub down with penetrating oil on a clean cloth , rub it down till dry , probably a couple of times , till the paint " breaks "  its grunge look ,at that point will take a  polish shine. Really like waking up a unit like that , just going over every functional point , just dreaming , pete

One step ahead of your pete! I have already done that with a hood and it looks fantastic! And yes this is a beast and I've heard lots of stories it's a man killer as well. So it's putting the fear into me and I don't think I'm going to keep it. I already have a guy offered me 600 for it

• Like 1

peter lena

TUUL CRIB, that's  great !, did that come with a SULKY RIDER ? when I first started cutting brush , it was with a JARRI WALKER , I CAN ATTEST THAT THAT WAS A MAN KILLER, hanging on for life ,while getting pulled into a briar patch , ouch !  on your rig , the sulky rider , makes it much easier , and safer  to use, sitting down and controlling your action, as opposed to getting dragged around like a rag doll,  that money offer is good , what I really like is the thought of that living on , all that steel and iron , can really attest to the era of no failures built into the unit. we are part of the generation that can really appreciate bombproof stuff like that , thanks for sharing  , glad you tried the oil rub down , I usually do that it inspire myself to keep going on a recent purchase, pete

The Tuul Crib
4 hours ago, peter lena said:

TUUL CRIB, that's  great !, did that come with a SULKY RIDER ? when I first started cutting brush , it was with a JARRI WALKER , I CAN ATTEST THAT THAT WAS A MAN KILLER, hanging on for life ,while getting pulled into a briar patch , ouch !  on your rig , the sulky rider , makes it much easier , and safer  to use, sitting down and controlling your action, as opposed to getting dragged around like a rag doll,  that money offer is good , what I really like is the thought of that living on , all that steel and iron , can really attest to the era of no failures built into the unit. we are part of the generation that can really appreciate bombproof stuff like that , thanks for sharing  , glad you tried the oil rub down , I usually do that it inspire myself to keep going on a recent purchase, pete

Thanks Pete! Got home today and pulled the carburetor out of the chem dip i'm going to get it back on the motor tomorrow. Going to put some oil in the transmission as I am draining it right now. not sure if I'm going to keep this machine but for the price I paid it's 120% payback!

and yes it did come with a sulky 

but just not the original seat.

250769FA-A7A5-451A-8C22-169466775F95.jpeg

Edited by The Tuul Crib

peter lena

TUUL CRIB, yes they were the animal for getting it done, the one I ran had an older style steel tractor seat on it  , like these https://www.etsy.com/market/metal_tractor_seat ,https://www.etsy.com/market/metal_tractor_seat, just the look of it completed the rugged design, think if you were going to keep or intend to use it , would check out the deck drive gear lubrication , as well as a deck cleaning and oil spray down, mabey even POLY EURA GREASE IN THAT ,? that's a j/d grease made for direct impact gearing that recovers itself . any way , glad that you are showing some love ,and interest , pete   

The Tuul Crib

Started cleaning the tank because of the 20 years it sat! No pinholes that I can see. The shut off valve has to be completely taken apart and soaked as well carbs cleaned back together unfortunately have to say decide because it's going to snow in the next couple of days time to push!!

weeeeeee!

7499CBBA-DF81-43C4-B02D-8066FB0E56EB.jpeg

0CB1E809-34C3-424C-85DB-35E368DEB6E0.jpeg