haydendavid380

Quantity or quality

pfrederi

I have 19 (I think) All will start and run (some may need a jump and the 418A is having her engine overhauled).   I only paint for corrosion control so no show tractors. I do not like swapping attachments so that accounts for a bunch and when you are using 50 year old equipment you have to expect occasional break downs so if a tractor was set up for a critical job like grass mowing or snow plowing then you need a back up or 2.

• Like 9

David414

Forgot, for grass cutting I have a Toro 5060 zero turn, 50" deck. So three in total.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

squonk
33 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I have 19 (I think) All will start and run (some may need a jump and the 418A is having her engine overhauled).   I only paint for corrosion control so no show tractors. I do not like swapping attachments so that accounts for a bunch and when you are using 50 year old equipment you have to expect occasional break downs so if a tractor was set up for a critical job like grass mowing or snow plowing then you need a back up or 2.

"I think" :lol: :occasion-xmas:

• Haha 4

i have three that are all running and are all mechanically 10's....but are 6's cosmetically

that works for me

• Like 3

Pollack Pete
4 hours ago, haydendavid380 said:

I can see where it'd be easy to start racking up tractors.

You need/want a couple parts that are selling for over a hundred and you find complete units in the $2-300 range so you just get that. But then you might as well get that one fixed up so you buy another one and so on. Before you know it you're building more buildings to store them, but you now have more room so you buy more.

😄

Exactly what I tell the Squaw here.Just the other day,I told her I should turn some of these tractors into cash.Then I thought,when I need a steering spindle or two,they're probably 30 or 40 bucks each,used.So,why should I advertise a complete tractor for a hundred or two and have to entertain the shoppers that have questions like " When was the oil last changed? "Or,can you include a new battery? Or Gee,the tires are kinda cracked.You guys all know what I'm talking about.I only wish I had more inside storage for all of what I call parts tractors.Buildings and sea boxes here are full.And oh yeah,another 44 foot by 21 foot metal building coming once the ground thaws.IT WILL NEVER END.......

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Pollack Pete said:

Exactly what I tell the Squaw here.Just the other day,I told her I should turn some of these tractors into cash.Then I thought,when I need a steering spindle or two,they're probably 30 or 40 bucks each,used.So,why should I advertise a complete tractor for a hundred or two and have to entertain the shoppers that have questions like " When was the oil last changed? "Or,can you include a new battery? Or Gee,the tires are kinda cracked.You guys all know what I'm talking about.I only wish I had more inside storage for all of what I call parts tractors.Buildings and sea boxes here are full.And oh yeah,another 44 foot by 21 foot metal building coming once the ground thaws.IT WILL NEVER END.......

What if I wanted a tractor that had nice clean non cracked flexible 60-year-old tires, excellent paint, perfect wiring system. Up to date on all maintenance...

See if you're selling something like that it's worth about $14,000 but if you want to buy one it's worth maybe $125. 

• Like 2

CCW

Reading this I almost feel inadequate with only one, Clyde, in the shed.  But it is an 87 312-8 worker that has always been garaged.  Currently is only used to move trailers and push some compost and topsoil.  When I get too old to walk behind my mower or rake my leaves Clyde will be assigned some more jobs.

• Like 2

Handy Don

Since the jobs are at a camp in the woods hours from home, so is the tractor. Right now a 310-8 with a 42" RD for mowing and for pulling a trailer for firewood and such. Next summer it'll be replaced by the hybrid I've been working on (518 topsides, 520-H frame and below) with a front-mounted flail mower. Plan is to add other easy-to-switch implements in front and rear (scoop, ripper, grader, log arch). No time for tinkering or extra maintenance there so we are aiming for one thoroughly capable tractor and its gotta be a worker.

• Like 4