Mickwhitt

Idiot of the week

D_Mac

Here is one .... how can you pass up this deal ??

CEc1KOmWYAAvn1E.jpg

• Haha 3

D_Mac

Here is one I saved from local Penny Saver. At the time I called and said I had 50 years experience picking noses but I am a quick learner and willing to try new things. She said I was over qualified. Go figure.

20210331_173911.jpg

Edited by D_Mac
  • Haha 3

bc.gold

spacer.png

bc.gold

The storm is here, I feel the FREEZE.

Pullstart

Idiot of the week?  Prescribing $1900 of service work for a bad tie rod end.  These ball joints are right tight and I found a dry rotted CV as well but not leaking.  As much as I’d love a day long pay check, I can’t justify billing as such.

Best of all, this is just his winter beater truck.  It’s barely worth $1900.

ACBA2D93-30EF-4807-BF96-4E165C3D3BDA.jpeg

B0C471CC-A869-43A1-BE45-28D19FA41192.jpeg

• Confused 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

Prescribing $1900 of service work for a bad tie rod end

Sounds like a standard issue not so honest service shop attempt.

Someone I know brought a Nissan sedan in for rear brakes that were due to be replaced.

A national chain gave her a written estimate of over $700 to replace every single solitary component of the ENTIRE rear brake system.

What it needed was the pads and I think one rotor was bad so two were replaced.

A little over $100 worth of parts. Even at retail they would have been about $150. Labor maybe another $100. 

Handy Don
6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Sounds like a standard issue not so honest service shop attempt.

Someone I know brought a Nissan sedan in for rear brakes that were due to be replaced.

A national chain gave her a written estimate of over $700 to replace every single solitary component of the ENTIRE rear brake system.

What it needed was the pads and I think one rotor was bad so two were replaced.

A little over $100 worth of parts. Even at retail they would have been about $150. Labor maybe another $100. 

Locale matters a lot, I think. $700 is high, but only because it might be for excessive work. I'd have to ask the car's age and mileage--do the flex brake lines need replacement? Does the car have brake wear sensors that need replacing (and testing afterwards)? What quality are the pads being used?

My trusted shop's rate is $130 an hour. Basic rear pads and rotors is probably 1.5 hours in the rate book so $400 wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

These ball joints are right tight

Why are there four control arms listed?  They want to replace both upper and lower?

Not an idiot, rather a CROOK!

• Like 1

Pullstart
9 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Why are there four control arms listed?  They want to replace both upper and lower?

Not an idiot, rather a CROOK!

Easier than ball joints, I suppose.  The sad part, is every ball joint is in solid shape.  An hour or so of shop time and it’s complete.  I used my “eyecrometer” to check the alignment (toe) and it feels pretty good on the road.  He plans to have the front tires replaced, or I’d have stuck them on the rear for him and he’d likely have no issues of drivability.

bc.gold
On 4/13/2021 at 5:57 PM, bc.gold said:

spacer.png

spacer.png