Sign in to follow this  
Section8

8 speed stuck in hi range

Section8

the 8-speed tranny is stuck in HI range. The HI/LO shifter arm will hardly move (maybe a half inch left and right). It was stuck when I bought the tractor (416-8, '91 model). I did find water in the tranny, not so unusual from what I read in other posts here, and I think I have flushed it all out (kerosene +oil twice then sea foam + oil twice). I no longer see evidence of water on the dipstick or from the drain plug hole.

Every\hing else with the tranny "seems" to be fine... forward/reverse shifting smoothly, no funny noises, etc., so I am hoping it is just a simple roll pin or something or that I am just not kicking the tires in the right spot :omg:

Any help greatly appreciated.

oldandred

Did you run the tractor with the flush in her if not you should have there rust around the shifter in side the tranny Im working on one now with the same problem just have to keep working on it a little at a time untill shes free

Section8

Did you run the tractor with the flush in her if not you should have there rust around the shifter in side the tranny Im working on one now with the same problem just have to keep working on it a little at a time untill shes free

Thanks, oldandred. I was kinda hoping it would be something that might work itself out over time, by which I mean, hoping I wouldn't have to tear down the tranny.

Yes, I rode big red around a 2 acre lot for an hour or more between flushes... slow, fast, forward, reverse, neighbors wondering if I was drunk or just needed a how-to video on lawn mowing (the deck was all the way up and disengaged).

Thank you for your reply. Hope your tranny gets well soon also.