Rob R

312-8 8 Speed Transmission Shifter

Rob R

Hi guys need some help was snow plowing this afternoon with a 312-8 and everything working smooth as silk then all of a sudden the shift lever came right out of the transmission so I pushed into the garage and went to another machine. What is the minimum I need to take off to put this back together and what are the correct steps to get her working again. Is this a big job or relatively easy to do?   Any steps and help appreciated. Thanks in advance 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

953 nut

Got to pull the seat and fender-pan and then do as Bob @rmaynard shows in this thread.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Rob R

Thanks 953 and Maynard will give it shot tomorrow morning..... appreciate the quick response....

Rob R

Many thanks fellow Wheelers, I followed you instructions to the "T" and got her done, was not the easiest to do since it is in an awkward place but working perfectly now... P.S. got it done with only removing the shift plate and rigging some good lighting. Thanks again 

• Excellent 2

peter lena

ROB R , glad you got it fixed , question ,  when was the last time you changed your trans fluid? is your shifter boot ok ? was the detent bolt ok , or just loose ?  just curious , pete

Rob R
21 hours ago, peter lena said:

ROB R , glad you got it fixed , question ,  when was the last time you changed your trans fluid? is your shifter boot ok ? was the detent bolt ok , or just loose ?  just curious , 

Not my tractor it is a friend of mine with no mechanical skills I did drained the milk shake filled it with used oil, ran it, drained it and filled with fresh oil, took it out and the tranny stick came-out in my hand. Detent bolt was good just came loose so put it back together and working fine now. Thanks for inquiring. p.s. shifter boot N/G have one on order.... 

• Like 1

peter lena

ROB R , thanks for the feed back , good basic follow up on that, dump milky oil , used oil run  / flush , fresh oil refill , what a concept ! those detent bolts need a touch up now and then , also replacing shifter boot, use a razor blade to cut it off , and silicone grease on shifter rod to easily slide on the new one , you did well, pete

Rob R
13 hours ago, peter lena said:

ROB R , thanks for the feed back , good basic follow up on that, dump milky oil , used oil run  / flush , fresh oil refill , what a concept ! those detent bolts need a touch up now and then , also replacing shifter boot, use a razor blade to cut it off , and silicone grease on shifter rod to easily slide on the new one , you did well, pete

Just an additional side note here Pete prior to draining the initial milk shake I put a magnetic Kats block heater on the bottom of the sump and heated it up for like 3 hours...jacked it up high to clear the sump hump. also while the boot is cracked I really believe the problem is caused by 20 years of heating and cooling which cause condensation build up so you need to chk at least annually ..... pps  I am 74 years old but never to proud to learn something or ask when I come across something I haven't done before.... also common sense rules with Mr. Pond's Tractors ..... that's how he built them and why they are still working today... Ask any farmer why he has 50 year old tractors on his farm the answer always is "because they work and I can fix them",  the rough dirty Farm environment is terrible for way over-designed electronics, relays and mother boards.... just saying....  

Edited by Rob R
  • Like 2

peter lena

ROB-R, GOOD GOING ON THE BLOCK HEATER SET UP , anything to help liquify and drain out the milk shake . In my other life I was a 24 / 7 mechanical millwright , regularly called in for nightmarish  production failures, that is what drives my mindset on any failure or issue. initially get it to run , while planning a change to make the problem go away . my regular checking on my horses , finds the start of an issue , that I will correct and change into a solid area. agree with you on the electronics issue ,  but in the very near future , that's going to be   " the good old days "  , glad you were able to help out your neighbor , sound ideas , pete   

• Like 2