Searcher60

Steering and tie rod operation, 69 Electro. 🙁

Searcher60

Hello everyone. I started putting the tire rods and steering together on my 69 Electro restoration and noticed that the steering stops on the front axle were cast different. With tie rods adjusted straight ahead, with the steering centered, the left spindle does not hit the steering stop like the right side. Looking it over, the axle appeared to be cast wrong. But then I looked at pictures of other front axles, and another one I have, and the stop casting on the axle on the left side is totally different than the right side. Much smaller. So my question is, what’s going on? When you turn the tractor steering all the way to the left, what  stops the steering from going to far? My left spindle does not hit the much smaller stop casting on the left like it does on the larger stop casting right side.  It would seem that both sides would take the exact same tire rod length and that the stops on the axle would be identical. I’m confused here. Think the paint fumes have driven me crazy. Thanks for reading this. 

squonk

A lot of tractors were set up to turn left tighter for mowing purposes. Chute is on the rt. side.

• Like 2

Achto
2 minutes ago, Searcher60 said:

? When you turn the tractor steering all the way to the left, what  stops the steering from going to far?

I have seen this before, in fact the 1267 that I'm working on does the same thing. So when you turn all the way to the left your fan gear will hit the frame and stop the steering wheel. There are no issues with this, should be able to carry on.:thumbs2:

• Like 2

Racinbob

In the early years (1960's) turning hard to the right would cause the tire to rub on the style PTO they used then. The larger stop prevented that. :)

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Searcher60

Thanks! Do you know the tie rod stud center to center measurement on the non-adjustable tie rods? Thanks again!

• Like 2

gwest_ca

Achto
1 hour ago, Searcher60 said:

Thanks! Do you know the tie rod stud center to center measurement on the non-adjustable tie rods? Thanks again!

I usually get the fan gear centered and adjust the wheels to run straight with about an 1/8" of toe in.

• Like 2

roadapples
3 hours ago, squonk said:

A lot of tractors were set up to turn left tighter for mowing purposes. Chute is on the rt. side.

Like Nascar...:ychain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RandyLittrell
10 hours ago, roadapples said:

Like Nascar...:ychain:

No,no, ya gotta back it in and turn right to go left!!!  :orcs-cheers:

Randy

20180519-AP2Q1950-Edit.jpg

• Haha 1

Lee1977
10 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

No,no, ya gotta back it in and turn right to go left!!!  :orcs-cheers:

Randy

20180519-AP2Q1950-Edit.jpg

You also have to keep the rear wheels spinning all the way through the turn. Sigian built one that would do that.

• Like 1