Sign in to follow this  
plowmaster

Furthest haul

plowmaster

how far have some here travelled to retreive an old wheel horse or an implement?

just curious

thanks

jon

Sparky

Back when gas was cheap I did a 971 mile trip into NY for one and down into PA for another and back home. Did it all in one looooong day B) .

Yawn...still tired from that one.

mike..............

plowmaster

Back when gas was cheap I did a 971 mile trip into NY for one and down into PA for another and back home. Did it all in one looooong day B) .

Yawn...still tired from that one.

mike..............

wow, where from?

bambooheels

:whistle: i just drove to conneticut from pa, doesnt seem bad. but it was 5 hours down 5 more back, with a DODGE HEMI and a 20 foot trailer, i picked up 6 horses that day though. B) :imstupid:

BairleaFarm

4 hours is the furthest ive gone to get one.

nylyon

Not sure on the milage, onlyabout 200 or so to Eldon's place. Now let's see when Eldon chimes in I think there's some milage there.

T-Mo

It wasn't a Wheel Horse, but I drove to Louisville, Ky to pick up a JD, 6 hours one way or about 350 miles. My 314-8 came from Iowa, about 4 hours one way, but it was brought down to me by a fellow wfm member who was picking up a JD 110 and an attachment.

And my C125 came from Stephen's place via Eldon's wagon train. B)

Nick

I've taken a 4 hour 240 mile one way trip for Wheel Horse tractors a couple times. Just did it a week ago and at 16mpg gas was $118. But the longest distance for a non-Horse item was a wing mower in Lake Lure North Carolina at a little over 500 miles one way. But I made that one a 2 day trip.

Brrly1

I guess my longest trip was back to Illinois for a load of tractors, but after I got to Illinois, Garry and I took off and drove about a 100 miles up into Wisconsin to pick up a horse for him back down to Williamsfield and loaded up the trailer and boogied home, a very long 2 days. I guess that has happened a few times between Ohio and Illinois.I moved some tractors between Wapakoneta,Ohio to Toledo and on to Scranton, Pa. also another small road trip. So I can say I have done quite of few road trips. Burly P.S. I have too make at least one more trip to Illinois some time here soon when gas goes back to 2 dollars

B):whistle:B)B)B) :banghead:

TT

I guess my longest personal haul was to northern VA for a pair of pewter Work Horses. (GT1100's) I'm thinking it was about a 400 mile round trip, but I can't remember for sure. B)

I had four other tractors delivered to me by trucker friends/co-workers. One came from Granite City, IL one from Knox, IN, and two from Canton, OH. :whistle:

Eldon also brought one up from York, PA, and will be bringing another one in about 6 weeks. B)B) B)

kj4kicks

Not sure on the milage, only about 200 or so to Eldon's place. Now let's see when Eldon chimes in I think there's some milage there.

Funny you mention that Karl.

In order for that C-160 to make it's last 200 miles to Karl's place, I made a 2200 miles round trip to MO to pick it up. Of course, I met several great RS members along the way ! So within the last year, Karl's C-160 has about 1300 miles on it. Not bad for a 35+ year old machine!

The closest one I ever picked up? A few days ago I went to D's place, 11 miles each way.

One extreme to the other.... B)

KyBlue

While I cant compare to E's trips, or Even TTs or Tmo's ... I think Ive done abotu 400-450 round trip with a truck that needed some work... talk about holding your breath the whole time!

HorseFixer

I went to North Carolina Last fall and picked up a 400 Suburban that trip was say 700 miles each way. This spring went to Iowa that trip was 500 each way and picked up my 55- RJ and 551 Suburban Then also went to Marquette Michigan that trip was 550 each way and picked up my 1054. I have logged over 3500 miles on long distance trips and another 1000 on short trips so my total is 4500 miles in less than a year and 15 tractors later! B)

Duke

wh500special

One came from Granite City, IL

Wow, THAT'S my hometown! Going there this weekend in fact with the family to my mother-in-law's home...If anyone ever gets the opportunity to visit good ol' GC, I suggest you let the opportunity pass you by.

There certainly aren't many other WH's lurking there in the Planet Granite...

My longest trip SOLELY for a tractor? About 500 miles (Granite City, IL to Cleveland, OH) and it was a '55 RJ35 with reel mower and blade.

Steve -now in Indiana

Jim_M

My longest trip was to some little farm town with a grain elevator, gas station and an IH dealer, somewhere near the center of Iowa ( I can't remember the town). It was 420 miles one way, but I brought back 4 tractors and a truck load of parts and attachments. Diesel fuel was much cheaper then. B)

I like to buy in quantity, it makes the trip worthwhile. :whistle:

perry

only about 200 miles round trip for me.

DOC in Kentucky

Wow, THAT'S my hometown! Going there this weekend in fact with the family to my mother-in-law's home...If anyone ever gets the opportunity to visit good ol' GC, I suggest you let the opportunity pass you by.

Steve,

I was just in GC, IL 2 days ago. I call on the hospital there, one of my best customers. I sell digital X-Ray equipment. I am usually there at least once a month. I was actully an x-Ray tech there in the late 70's.

Your right about the town. The steel mill really puts out the pollution and odors.

Have a save trip this week

Curmudgeon

700 something was my longest round trip, but that included two stops, two tractors, and "stuff". Single tractor trip, probably around 500 miles round trip, but that wound up with additional "stuff" too.

Gonna have to edit this. The round trip to pick up my sign, and other stops for parts, was probably something over 800 miles.

rustbucket

i went from the second off ramp on the east edge of PA to the very last off ramp in western PA for a parts horse a few months back.

combatmp29r

Farthest horse rustlin huh? Had to sit down and think about it. It was quite normal for me to pick one up in IN when we made the 5 hour drive out here to visit the wife's family every couple months. Farthest trip as of now B) would be from Chillicothe OH, up to Youngstown to pick up a Charger V8, and the across PA to Manchester to pick up 2 B-81s. Oh and the buddy that went with me snagged a round hood while we were there. All told it was around 800 miles that day.

CasualObserver

I went just about exactly 1000 miles for my first 4-wheeled wagon. 18 hour round trip, plus time at the auction to buy it. :whistle: that was an expensive trip. glad gas was about half the price it is now! B)

linen beige

734 miles round trip, 9 1/2 hours driving time. B)

Teddy da Bear

All of my horses have come within a 50 mile radius.

Now if I find a decent D-250 outside of that circle.....hmmmmmm....that might change.

travisg84

I was just wondering how far everyone has went to get their horses. Mine was back in 06 about a 900 mile round trip fron Ky to NC.

CasualObserver

Travis... I merged your thread with this old one, so be sure you go back and catch up on some of the old posts.... it's another good old topic that needs to be brought back to the top every now and then. Thanks!