Sign in to follow this  
HorseFixer

Made A Wrong Turn Last Year To The Show

HorseFixer

Last year Not knowing the area or the terrain as I recall I was on the PA turnpike 76 where it turned to 70 and I got off and went through Mcconnelsburg, Chambersburg, Fayetteville and so forth Jeesh pulling a trailer was no fun especially on the way home! As I recall I had the Jeep Floored and all I could get was 15mph going up those mountains and grade! :drool: I would like to avoid this rout this time. Would It be better for me to stay on 70 then take 75/76 to Carlisle and then take 34 south out of carlisle to biglerville? Is that blotch of blue on the map the mountains? Any help would be great. :omg:

MapDirections.jpg

MAP.jpg

refracman

Duke, I came down 15 off of the pike (live by toledo), true a little out of the way but not bad, and not to hilly. Heres what I took and had no problems.

011.jpg

mcwh1950

duke this is the route that i would take because i hate the pa t-pike... route 80 in pa is a lot better road and it is free, less hiller, less turn and less bumper, and no dam tunnel to go thru.

11: Merge onto I-80 E toward OHIO (Portions toll) (Crossing into OHIO).

283.3 mi

* Map

* Avoid

12: Merge onto I-80 E via EXIT 218 toward YOUNGSTOWN (Crossing into PENNSYLVANIA).

141.5 mi

* Map

* Avoid

13: Merge onto PA-970 S/ SHAWVILLE HWY via EXIT 123 toward WOODLAND/ PHILIPSBURG.

1.6 mi

* Map

* Avoid

14: Turn LEFT onto TWENTY-EIGHTH DIVISION HWY/ US-322. Continue to follow US-322.

10.4 mi

* Map

* Avoid

15: Turn LEFT onto RAILROAD ST/ US-322. Continue to follow US-322 E.

23.4 mi

* Map

* Avoid

16: Keep RIGHT to take US-322 E via EXIT 73 toward PENN STATE UNIV/ STATE COLLEGE.

84.6 mi

* Map

* Avoid

17: Merge onto I-81 S toward CARLISLE.

7.8 mi

* Map

* Avoid

18: Merge onto PA-581 E/ HARRISBURG EXPY via EXIT 59 on the LEFT toward US-11/ CAMP HILL.

5.4 mi

* Map

* Avoid

19: Merge onto US-15 S via EXIT 5B toward GETTYSBURG.

31.0 mi

* Map

* Avoid

20: Merge onto US-30 W/ LINCOLN HWY toward GETTYSBURG.

2.3 mi

* Map

* Avoid

21: Enter next LINCOLN SQ roundabout.

0.0 mi

* Map

* Avoid

22: End at Gettysburg, PA

* Map

Estimated Time: 10 hours 11 minutes Estimated Distance: 611.21 miles

i make this trip to harrisburg pa four time a year to see two sister that live there.

Nick

Most Ive pulled was a loaded 18' trailer but Bills original directions is what I always used when coming from the turnpike. 997 is a smaller road with a few turns but much better than taking 30 over the mountain and through Chambersburg.

The directions are posted on the club site www.wheelhorsecollectorsclub.org

Coming from the west on PA Turnpike.: Stay on turnpike until exit 15. Take route 997 south to route 30. Take route 30 east approx. 10 miles. At blinking yellow light (Adans County National Bank on right) turn left onto Arendtsville Cashtown road. Follow this road for 3.7 miles until you come to a stop sign in Arendtsville. Turn left onto High Street, and follow this road (Route 234 West) for 1.1 miles. The South Mountain Fair Grounds are on the right hand side

map.jpg

wh500special

As I recall I had the Jeep Floored and all I could get was 15mph going up those mountains and grade!

For a flatlander like me it seems like ALL of PA is mountainous so I think you're kind of hosed...

Take 997 as Nick outlined. Not as quick as US-30 but a much easier drive.

You might also want to put a better quality oil in the Jeep's engine, transmission, and axles so it doesn't struggle so much... :omg:

Steve

whlpny

Duke - I agree with Nick/ Steve on that route. I use it every time I go and its the easiest to follow and easier on your vehicle.

C-Series14

I took Rt. 30 west one year heading home....WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! :omg: Looks like I'll try the 997 route, I have a diesel so not worried about hills but it looks like the best way.

whlpny

I ran 30 2 yrs ago just to see the scenery but wasn't hauling a big trailer. No way would I run the car hauler across that loaded with tractors!

chazm

Hey Duke,

Boy I got it made - live only 10 miles away from the show :drool:

Depending on where your staying -

Your best bet would be to take the PA pike to Rt 15 - all hi speed driving, few hills

Carlisle Ex. has lots of big rig traffic and road construction on I- 81S

Taking Blue Mtn. Ex / RT 997 off PA Pike is 2 lane and there is major bridge work at Scotland Ex / I-81 - lots of traffic

DO NOT get off PA Pike at Breezewood /RT 30 - 2 lanes & BIG hills

Hope this helps all coming in , let me know if any other questions

Be looking for ya, Chaz :omg:

HorseFixer

Thanks Guys! :drool: Haven't decided my exact rought yet but one thing for sure 30 is out! :omg: Chaz look forward to meeting you! stop by the Duke's Tent and say HI :drool:

Nick

CHaz, Does 997 have a detour or just some construction to drive through? Being a backroad person Id probably still go that way, if I go. :omg: Looking at the map online it looks like using 15 adds around 25 miles to trip. Not nearly what I had assumed but still out of the way some and not a backroad. :drool:

Off topic for Duke: Something not mentioned is if your West and maybe a bit south some people run across 68 in Maryland then up 81 to 30. Ive dropped down on 79 and run 68 a few times to see some new scenery. It has some steeper hills than the turnpike but it was still a nice change and a nice drive at that time.

chazm

Hey Nick

997 just has construction @ Scotland. not too bad just bottle neck at bridge

going over I- 81

Have a good trip, Chaz

HorseFixer

Nick I just thought of a great Idea! :drool: You should leave a couple days early and take the Load Ranger and Plow right thru that mountain and level her out for the Ole Duke! :drool: after all whats pals for :( so what ya think? :omg:

Gene_S

Hey Duke... South Bend Indiana is easy to get to and the roads are nice and straight and oh ya the tractors were built there.... :omg: One of these years I'll make the trip to Pa...

Thanks,

Gene :drool: