oilwell1415

Fuel evaporation

oilwell1415
2 hours ago, rmaynard said:

Most of my gas cans do not seal. 

Even if they don't completely seal they at least make an attempt.  I know on all of mine if I open them in the morning and put the cap back on there is pressure inside them after it gets warm in the afternoon.  Sometimes it's enough pressure to pop the lid off and I lose a lot of gas in only a few days.

Lee1977
21 minutes ago, oilwell1415 said:

Even if they don't completely seal they at least make an attempt.  I know on all of mine if I open them in the morning and put the cap back on there is pressure inside them after it gets warm in the afternoon.  Sometimes it's enough pressure to pop the lid off and I lose a lot of gas in only a few days.

If I forget to pop the vent first my cans will force gas out. Don't know if they will if lest then half full. I have had it happen enough that I try tp pop the vent first.

lynnmor
44 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

If I forget to pop the vent first my cans will force gas out. Don't know if they will if lest then half full. I have had it happen enough that I try tp pop the vent first.

If the spout is the type that goes down in the gas for storage, that will happen often.  I gave up on dropping the spout down inside on all my cans.

formariz
On 2/3/2021 at 10:03 AM, oilwell1415 said:

Does anyone have issues with the fuel evaporating out of your tractor?  I rarely have mine full, but it's usually got about 1/2 gallon of fuel in it.  It had that much in it about 3 weeks ago and when I got on it yesterday it was empty.  I know it's not leaking because I run 100LL aviation fuel in it and it would leave a blue stain anywhere it was leaking.  I also close the petcock every time I park it.  I would expect it to evaporate over months, but 3 weeks is a little quick especially in the winter.

Others may not agree but you are on to something. You may very possibly have some additional problem to substantiate the amount of  fuel lost, however there is a rather sizeable loss of fuel from evaporation in these tractors when they sit for a while. Although I cannot tell anyone what that quantity is, I do experience that on tractors stored for long periods of time. Case and point my 653. I always keep a minimum of fuel in tank to keep gasket from drying out. Its a trailer queen and not used often and after about 4 months if I do not check tank will be dried. There are absolutely no leaks. It has a new gasket and it seals 100%. Everything on outside of tractor is bone dry. Its not going into the engine since tractor is not started within that period. Fuel is shut off into the carburetor. ( I keep choke closed anyway to minimize it). I fill it back over the gasket and a few months later same thing happens. So  it has to be through the gas cap since no fuel is going to carburetor. Same thing happens to other machines such as lawn vacuum and log splitter. Over a period of time fuel will evaporate from tank. I just don't think many of us notice since most will not let machines sit for that long without using.

• Like 1

rmaynard
21 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

OK, let's do a scientific test of fuel evaporation.    Measure the surface area of your tank.  get a flat bottom straight sided container with the same surface area.   Fill the tank and the test container with the same fuel to the same depth and store them side by side for 1 month.    Measure and record the fuel depth every day.     Use a depth gage that has been calibrated by the US Bureau of Weights and Measures.

any takers?

Maybe you Ed? 

Ed Kennell
21 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Maybe you Ed? 

Sorry Bob,  I have a 24/7 job taking care of Mrs.K   She had foot surgery last week and will be wheel chair bound for 6-8 weeks.

I have been in a exhausting training program.  I have done well with the cooking, laundry, dish washing, and bed making.   The cleaning is really a struggle....I just can't get the hang of it.

Maybe have to mount a vacuum cleaner on the front of a plow frame and a couple swiffers out the side.

• Like 2

rmaynard
10 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Sorry Bob,  I have a 24/7 job taking care of Mrs.K   She had foot surgery last week and will be wheel chair bound for 6-8 weeks.

I completely understand. Mrs. M had foot surgery several years ago. Could not put any weight on it for 6-8 weeks. As they say "been there, done that". 

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
3 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Mrs. M had foot surgery several years ago

Nan's left foot was misaligned about 1" to the left of her leg bone.  They did the realignment, d&t and bolted on some titanium plates. Also took some bone from her hip to fuse the joint together.

This is  similar to the procedure they did to her back L3,4,and5  6 years ago.

We're keeping our fingers crossed that she can walk again.      Was Mrs. M's surgery successful?    

• Heart 1

Handy Don

@Ed KennellWishing well and smooth recoveries to you both in your unaccustomed roles.

• Thanks 1

formariz
14 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Nan's left foot was misaligned about 1" to the left of her leg bone.  They did the realignment, d&t and bolted on some titanium plates. Also took some bone from her hip to fuse the joint together.

This is  similar to the procedure they did to her back L3,4,and5  6 years ago.

We're keeping our fingers crossed that she can walk again.      Was Mrs. M's surgery successful?    

Wishing her my best wishes and a full recovery and you the strength to help her with it.

• Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

@oilwell1415,  sorry for the off topic posts.  My apologizes for getting your thread side tracked.

rmaynard
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Mrs. M had osteoarthritis in every joint in her foot. The doctor removed the arthritis and fused many of the bones together and added titanium plates and screws. She also had to have her little toe bone cut through and realigned at the proper angle. That also involved having a pin inserted in the end of her toe, and back to the middle of her foot. That pin was removed after 6 weeks. After her 8 weeks of recovery, she was able to put weight on her foot and walk again with the aid of a boot, a walker, then cane. With every week, she got better. She was walking with no assistance after about 2 weeks. However, it took every bit of one year to be able to walk completely pain free, but the good thing is that she is now pain free. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

oilwell1415

Picked up a new gas cap today.  The vent doesn’t come apart like the one in the video, so I’ll have to see how it works.

• Like 1