Sailman

GT 14 Transmission problem

Sailman

I got my GT 14 running well and gathered all the parts for the 3 point hitch (it has the hydrolic cylinder at the back). Been pulling a small trailer with maybe 300 lbs and the tractor was fine. I try out the 3 pt hitch with a big trailer (5x8 motorcycle trailer) and coming back up a hill it starts slowing down and not sounding very healthy (trans area) with engine rpm up and shifter all the way forward. Took it out again without a trailer and something is definitely wrong. Doesn't pull as it should up the hill and seems to be grumbling in the trans area. Hydro lift on the 3 pt hitch seems to be working fine. I am not mechanically inclined enough the try a rebuild. Who can you recommend for that service? Possible to find a complete rebuilt trans axle and pump that would do a trade out with cash on my end? Just trying to see what my options are. I like the heft of the GT 14 for plowing, etc over my C-120.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

PS. I had to do the JB weld trick to stop a bad leak near the filter. This have anything to do with my issue? Pic attached

GT14repair.JPG

pfrederi

The "leak" is a bearing.  i might guess the bearing has failed and needles /metal are loose in the transaxle.  Don't run it. Drain the fluid and look for metal particles in the fluid..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

gt14rider

Lj fluid power, Delton, Michigan

(269) 623 4150

Give lj a call he may be able to rebuild your tranny or maybe someone on here can help out.     You should have a sundstrand 90-2062   only used in gt14, check tag on tranny. 

Edited by gt14rider

953 nut
9 hours ago, Sailman said:

coming back up a hill it starts slowing down and not sounding very healthy (trans area) with engine rpm up and shifter all the way forward. Took it out again without a trailer and something is definitely wrong. Doesn't pull as it should up the hill and seems to be grumbling in the trans area.

Since this is is a rather sudden change rather than a slow degradation of performance I'm inclined to agree with Paul that a bearing failure is a likely cause.

If you have a mechanically inclined friend that is into old tractors or cars you may be able to get them to guide you through the process. Replacing the bearings in the transaxle is not a major task. However, unbolting all the rear sheet metal and unbolting the transaxle from the frame and reattaching everything is a chore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sailman

Talked to LJ at LJ fluid Power and he does not do rebuilds on the 90-2062 due to inability to get small parts like springs, seats, etc. C series pumps he can get parts for. Rebuilding the GT 14 pump and then having to leave old small parts in place with that much age is risky. Going to drain the fluid and see what that shows. Then have to decide what to do. Missed a GT 14 with no engine and strong transmission for sale. That is probably my best option if I can find one. Swap out the whole trans axle and pump. Any other suggestions?

pfrederi

I understand LJ's reluctance to rebuild after all if it fails they will lose a customer.  I rebuild my sunstrands as best i can.  To be sure they are probably not as good as new and who knows some day some old part will fail.  But all I am out is my time and a few small parts.  I have purchased a few used hydros all came from "good running" tractors, all needed work one was beyond hope.  You pays your money you takes your chances.  If it were me i would open it up and see what was going on.  Then decide if it was possible to fix or needed to take a chance on another.  The hydro gears in the older sunstrand are more robust i think than the piston to piston in later ones.  The gear motors seem to resist damage better than the brass slippers in a piston to piston motor. 

• Thanks 1