Larry P.

C160 PTO Installation

Larry P.

Hello, I'm installing a PTO pulley on a 1975 C160 and the Parts Diagram shows the following parts go over the crankshaft stud in the following order:  race thrust washer, then thrust bearing, then another race thrust washer then finally the little spring and then the PTO pulley goes over it last.  This does't seem right to me because those little parts wont stay on the little stud that sticks out of the crankshaft.  If I do it in the other order with the spring first on the stud then I put the race thrust washer/thrust bearing/race thrust washer combination directly inside thePTO puley it seems to make more sense this way.  My question,  is there any particular order that the thrust washers, thrust bearing and spring go onto the crankshaft stud ??  Thanks in advance,  Larry P.

IMG_0454.JPG

• Like 1

squonk

Leave the spring and thrust washers out. WH did away with them

Larry P.

Hi Squonk,  yes I heard that from other folks as well however from what I understand that is only if I have the revised modifed PTO pulley assembly that Wheelhorse used in newer model years.  My 1975 C-160 has the original PTO pulley that supposedly needs the thrust washer, bearing and spring.  Can you tell me the correct assembly of these items as to which one goes on the crankshaft stud first.  Does the spring go on the stud first or the thrust washers ??

Howie

Isn't all that stuff just supposed to help release the PTO? My tractors are all older so they do not have them.

Larry P.

Thanks Guys.  I'll try it without the washers and springs and see if it still releases.  Its probably better not to have those washers and spring in there because if they come off the crank stud they could damage the big bearing and needles inside the PTO hub.

gwest_ca

When they eliminated the inner pieces they changed the outer shaft that pushes the outer bearing in to apply the clutch. This shaft had one groove for a snap ring so the shaft would not push through the bearing when the pto was engaged.

The second design added a 2nd snap ring to the inside of the bearing so the shaft would pull the bearing out when the pto is disengaged.

#33 is the shaft

2 x #34 are the retaining rings

The change started in 1972 with one model and most all 1973's and newer got it.

Garry

Pto clutch bearing shaft New style.jpg

• Like 2

Larry P.

Excellent  Thanks for all your replies.

peter lena

LARRY P. , use a hi temp grease on that needle  bearing , like LUCAS RED AND TACKY  OR HEAVY DUTY GREASE , THEY HAVE A 550 FLASH POINT, that will stay with the bearing  , my own experience , pete