71_Bronco

520H Question

71_Bronco

My brother bought his first house last year, and he picked up a nice, used Wheel Horse 520H. Plan was to use it to mow with, and in the winter, clear the driveway with the front-mount snow blower.

Due to his small garage, and how much space this takes up, he is looking to get rid of it. Plus how much time it takes to convert over from the deck to the snow-blower, and back.

With the tractor, he has:

- 2 decks, one is mint, the other is a parts-deck (shell is a little rough)

- 2-stage snow blower (with all the parts) in really nice shape

- Mint 50" mid-mount grader blade (Toro branded, mounts to gear-box)

- Wheel weights and chains (not sure what kind)

He's not sure what it's worth, or if he's better off piecing it out. I know prices vary widely due to condition and location.

Any thoughts?

squonk

Depends on where he lives, how many hours on the engine and how much rust/flaking paint/rot

Pullstart

Generally speaking, you can get more coin if you sell parts separate.  Time wise, if he’s looking to off it all at once, it’s best to price as a package.  Value?  I’ve no idea.  

71_Bronco

Here's a couple pics I had in my phone. Ill have him send a couple more.

Tractor is in Connecticut.

596923338.jpg.aa437d437c3301263cf0b145bc538451.jpg

596923305(1).jpg.4612d8b8ccfe4be5711c0422b296b405.jpg

596923290.jpg.468758218039168935594350b00fb556.jpg

ebinmaine

Provided everything is in good working condition and in decent shape paint wise...

I'm going to guess the good deck is worth at least $200. The grader blade I'd say 300 minimum.

Those two stage snow blowers have been bringing anywhere between 300 and 600 from what I can see.

The first question that came to mind to be honest is, What is he going to do about machinery to get all of these tasks done if he sells this whole ensemble?

Pollack Pete

Takes too much time and effort to switch between mower deck and snow blower??? Of all the small tractors I've owned in my lifetime,and there have been many,Wheel Horse is,without a doubt,the easiest tractor to change implements.Period.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

lynnmor
53 minutes ago, Pollack Pete said:

Takes too much time and effort to switch between mower deck and snow blower??? Of all the small tractors I've owned in my lifetime,and there have been many,Wheel Horse is,without a doubt,the easiest tractor to change implements.Period.

Just curious, did you ever mount a two stage snow thrower?  It might give you another perspective. 

• Like 3

pfrederi
10 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Just curious, did you ever mount a two stage snow thrower?  It might give you another perspective. 

Try a sweepster rotary broom...another fun install..

squonk
50 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

I was going to say "horsin a 2 stage around" doesn't sound like a good time.:confusion-seeingstars:

• Like 1

Darb1964

I've would not say attachments are easy to hook up, but would not sell because of that. If he has owned only for a short time he knows what he paid. The two stage throgher is nice, in good shape, five hundred, tractor in very good condition, one thousand with decks, the mid blade three hundred. That would be high side in my opinion in this area, so many tractors available now everyone's looking to low ball and many are going low. I keep a watch and tractors in that price don't seem to sell good unless reduced, the two stage and mid blade that's a different story, I would like them both but not willing to pay what they bring. Good attachments bring the $.

• Like 1

Pollack Pete
1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

Yup.......Had 3 of them here at one time.Two were on 520H's.One was on a 416H.Lucky enough to have lifting equipment here plus the knowledge how to use it properly.Was always taught to work smarter,not harder.Plus,I ate Wheaties when I was a kid.And.......one real good reason to have attachment dedicated tractors.One for snow blowing.One for grass cutting.

Edited by Pollack Pete
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 2
  • Confused 1

Handy Don

3 hours ago, squonk said:

Depends on where he lives, how many hours on the engine and how much rust/flaking paint/rot

These are the big items. Curb appeal and "mileage". To a knowing buyer, anything that represents additional investment matters -- incomplete maintenance, battery age, light bulbs, seat, etc.

Also, does he want it all gone soon or is he willing to patiently sell off parts. Downsides: with what looks like another relatively mild winter around here, snow handling is not drawing premium pricing and for pure mowing with a 48" deck, a lesser tractor is plenty adequate in all but the most extreme situations. Upside: 520 is serious iron and WH has a good rep.

• Like 1

Pollack Pete
5 minutes ago, Pollack Pete said:

Yup.......Had 3 of them here at one time.Two were on 520H's.One was on a 416H.Lucky enough to have lifting equipment here plus the knowledge how to use it properly.Was always taught to work smarter,not harder.Plus,I ate Wheaties when I was a kid.And.......one real good reason to have attachment dedicated tractors,like a lot of people here seem to have.One for snow blowing.One for grass cutting.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

ljsdad414
4 hours ago, Pollack Pete said:

one real good reason to have attachment dedicated tractors,like a lot of people here seem to have.One for snow blowing.One for grass cutting.

I guess that's why I have 10 Wheel Horses...

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, Pollack Pete said:

one real good reason to have attachment dedicated tractors,like a lot of people here seem to have.One for snow plowing.One for ***

24 minutes ago, ljsdad414 said:

YES

Minimum one tractor per implement!!

• Like 2

littleredrider

I hate to be the one to say it, but it's not worth anything. What's ur address, and i'll come n get it all. I'll throw yah a coupe bucks for your troubles having to deal with it....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, littleredrider said:

I hate to be the one to say it, but it's not worth anything. What's ur address, and i'll come n get it all. I'll throw yah a coupe bucks for your troubles having to deal with it....

And there, ladies and gentlemen, is why we are all here. 

The incredible kindness and generosity of our fellow Wheelhorse obsessors. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

littleredrider

Wouldn't mind having the grader blade if you decide to sell individually. 

71_Bronco

Got a couple more pics.

If I remember correctly, its around 1,000 hours on it.

IMG_1877.jpg.6f12b1e4a4b0df0304cbf2d71bc08123.jpg

IMG_1881.jpg.d74656d4f2d45dbf3d465cce5c84fa5e.jpg

IMG_1879.jpg.c1ea6eda2cdddaae407e61bd106f2219.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

71_Bronco

He isn't in a hurry to sell it. He's not hurting for money, was just throwing around the idea of selling and asked my opinion.

Unfortunately, I dont have the room for another tractor (have 3 wheel horses plus a Kubota).

Darb1964

That is nice, if that's original paint and works and runs as good as it looks, personally I'd keep it. The suit case weights, very nice

ebinmaine
27 minutes ago, Darb1964 said:

I'd keep it.

Agreed. 

That's waaaaaaaaaaaaayy too nice a tractor to sell off. 

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
49 minutes ago, 71_Bronco said:

Got a couple more pics.

If I remember correctly, its around 1,000 hours on it.

IMG_1877.jpg.6f12b1e4a4b0df0304cbf2d71bc08123.jpg

IMG_1881.jpg.d74656d4f2d45dbf3d465cce5c84fa5e.jpg

IMG_1879.jpg.c1ea6eda2cdddaae407e61bd106f2219.jpg

That's a package deal of $1500-2000 in my neck of the woods.

• Excellent 2

Horse Newbie
4 hours ago, ljsdad414 said:

One for mowing, one for snow blowing, one for plowing, one for dozing, one for raking, one for vacuuming, one for taking out the trash...lol:lol:

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 1

Horse Newbie
12 hours ago, 71_Bronco said:

My brother bought his first house last year, and he picked up a nice, used Wheel Horse 520H. Plan was to use it to mow with, and in the winter, clear the driveway with the front-mount snow blower.

Due to his small garage, and how much space this takes up, he is looking to get rid of it. Plus how much time it takes to convert over from the deck to the snow-blower, and back.

With the tractor, he has:

- 2 decks, one is mint, the other is a parts-deck (shell is a little rough)

- 2-stage snow blower (with all the parts) in really nice shape

- Mint 50" mid-mount grader blade (Toro branded, mounts to gear-box)

- Wheel weights and chains (not sure what kind)

He's not sure what it's worth, or if he's better off piecing it out. I know prices vary widely due to condition and location.

Any thoughts?

What year ?