CB1993

1277 ATF amount and plug size.

CB1993

Hello. Can anyone tell me the amount of transmission fluid the 1277 holds and what size the allen key is for the drain plug? Thanks!

ebinmaine

Allen head should be a 1/4".

Get a magnetic drain plug if possible. 

Be sure to lift the front end as high as safely possible to get the fluid from the front of the transmission over the middle hump. 

Amount is maybe 4+ qts. I bought 6 when I changed mine the first time. 

Try to get the oldest type of Dexron/type A possible. If you have a Napa give them the part number 75-200.  

Don't let them tell you it isn't around. We can still get it here in Maine from the Napa warehouse. 

• Like 3

CB1993
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Allen head should be a 1/4".

Get a magnetic drain plug if possible. 

Be sure to lift the front end as high as safely possible to get the fluid from the front of the transmission over the middle hump. 

Amount is maybe 4+ qts. I bought 6 when I changed mine the first time. 

Try to get the oldest type of Dexron/type A possible. If you have a Napa give them the part number 75-200.  

Don't let them tell you it isn't around. We can still get it here in Maine from the Napa warehouse. 

Thanks! 

• Thanks 1

pfrederi

Dex/Merc will work just fine.  Easy to find, many brands to chose from...Been using it in my 6 Sunstrands for many years now.

dexmerc.JPG

• Like 2

squonk
36 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Dex/Merc will work just fine.  Easy to find, many brands to chose from...Been using it in my 6 Sunstrands for many years now.

dexmerc.JPG

Hope that add is a mis-print. A qt. should be around $6.50 . The picture shows a gallon jug. Now that would be a good deal at that price. I remember selling Napa 75-200 for a buck 99. 18 years ago.

• Like 2

pfrederi
1 minute ago, squonk said:

Hope that add is a mis-print. A qt. should be around $6.50 . The picture shows a gallon jug. Now that would be a good deal at that price. I remember selling Napa 75-200 for a buck 99. 18 years ago.

I just grabbed the first google picture   sorry.  You are right that price is ridiculous but it is a Wally world ad   Second search most were $22-26 a gallon...

rmaynard

Speaking of Walmart, I just grabbed 6 of these at $3.97 each to try in my 875. 

Screenshot_20210124-095239.png.6848f12089e666c454b9654b2e06f128.png

• Like 2

cschannuth
On 1/24/2021 at 8:05 AM, pfrederi said:

dexmerc.JPG

When checking the fluid level in the rear end, is it like checking the oil in the engine? I’m just wondering if I should thread the dipstick back in to check it or just set it on top of the hole.

• Like 1

gt14rider

Just set on top, don't screw in