Sign in to follow this  
tgranthamfd

tgranthamfd's Suburban

tgranthamfd

This is my second wheel horse and my first attempt to restore one. Decided to start small, a small e-barrel made from stuff laying around and a belt cover. Sorry no before's, but I do have a couple after the wash.

DSC00764.jpg

DSC00765.jpg

TJ

Looks good. :omg:

tgranthamfd

I am sure you've noticed some rust through on the cover. I had a brain storm, and decided to see if rubberized undercoating would fill them up (sprayed on inside of cover). So far it did, with 2 coats, will post pics when dry.

tgranthamfd

Belt cover midway point. Inside undercoated, outside bare metal primer. Still not cured, but it looks like it may have filled the small rusted out holes. Hope it holds out.

Inside rubberized undercoating.

DSC00771.jpg

Outside bare metal primer.

DSC00773.jpg

Close up of rust holes from the front side so you can see how it filled.

DSC00774.jpg

tgranthamfd

Figure I would save some picture space for later. Did get the belt cover painted today, it's not show quality but it is not going to be a show tractor it's going to be a Wheel Horse. :drool: I managed to get the supplies for a bigger e-barrel, got one of the front wheels pulled and broke down ( it is soaking right now), got both fenders off, broke all of the bolts but 1, but that's ok too. Got the seat taken off, all it took was a nut splitter on the old rusted square head nut. Ididn't want to run the risk of wollering out the sqare button head bolt hole, so I split the nut. Also ordered new tires for the front, seeing the wheel was in very good shape, just a butt load of dirt, grease, and rust with more rust on top. :omg: Ended up buying the 3 rib fronts, still need to find some 6-12 ag's for the back. We'll see what tomorrow brings. :drool:

TJ

Looks like it should hold. Keep the pictures coming. :omg:

KyBlue

Looks like your off to a good start.. Next time you wanna fill some holes with undercoat, put some masking tape on the side your not undercoating, or just fill em with something like All Metal, or if you have access to a torch...lead solder.

tgranthamfd

Hey guys, thanks for he tips, never used all metal before, might have to try. All the parts are so rusty, some have holes by the time I get them out of the e-wash. Got some done today, cleaned primed and painted 1 wheel today. E-washed, cleaned, and primed the seat. Washed and cleaned 1 of the fenders, stopped there because it needs a little body work done, had some ripples in the top. Stayed so busy that I forgot my camera but I do have a pic of the belt cover. Playing around with the rattle cans, but I don't like the drying time with the rattle can primer. Might have to break out the old HVLP, and do some body work as well. Love painting but strongly dislike bondo work, got to do some though. Here is the cover, pulling 12's at work all his week but will get more pics posted later. Thanks

DSC00776.jpg

HorseFixer

Looks like yer on yer way! :omg:

gwgdog66

My little brother has some skills :drool:. He has been working his arse off too on this project. :drool: BTW I had my camera for a change, and didn't get any pics :omg:

The front wheel spindles are worn down on the inside (frame side) these are no longer available. Will the axle spindles from another tractor fit the 400?? or do I need to find a good machinest?

tgranthamfd

Hello all, haven't had time to do much due to work load, I did however, manage to get some new rubber ordered and here. Got some 4.00/8's ( 3 rib ) fronts and some 6-12 Carlisles ( power track ) rears. Can't wait to get the wheels finished and back on. Thanks till next post.

gwgdog66

Tomorrow :omg:

tgranthamfd

Toooo!! much work and not enough weekend, did manage to get the one front wheel, that I had rattel caned, fitted with the new 3 rib tire but the wheel bearings didn't come in yet and the spindles are grooved pretty bad. Found a Craftsman polly hopper sand blaster, shoveled up some blow sand, and got the other front wheel blasted and primed, also got the second fender e-washed. Bought some bondo, so I will have a few things I can work on during the week if I am not working 12's again all week long, makes me tired but 60 hour work weeks will go a long way on the restore. Will get off of my dead a@$ and post some pictures when I get something completed. May have to use some vacation to get something done. :thumbs2: Thanks C Ya.

tgranthamfd

Finally getting a break from the overtime, here is a couple of small updates, got a decent air compressor to work with, as well.

DSC00784.jpg

DSC00779.jpg

DSC00785.jpg

DSC00786.jpg

DSC00780.jpg

DSC00787.jpg

DSC00777.jpg

DSC00789.jpg

Until next time, Thanks.

KyBlue

Good progress!! Keep up the nice work!

tgranthamfd

Got a little done over the weekend. 1 fender in primer, 1 wheel in primer, both deck gear covers painted, other fender in bondo, and the other rear wheel in the wash as we speak. thanks terry

DSC00441.jpg

before

DSC00795.jpg

during

DSC00440.jpg

after

DSC00442.jpg

comparison

DSC00439.jpg

painted gear cover

DSC00791.jpg

Thanks until next time.

tgranthamfd

Finally Got a few things done. A rollin chassy on completed wheels and new tires. 1 fender completed, and got the rusty bolts off of the tranny that holds the tool box and seat spring on, They are in the e-wash. Here we go. Thanks.

DSC00825.jpg

DSC00828.jpg

DSC00831.jpg

Looks Orange in this light, but it's not. :thumbs2:

DSC00832.jpg

See ya next time.

bitten

Looking like you have a good start on a nice project. Keep up the good work.

P.J.

tgranthamfd

Guess sometimes it looks like one is moving backwards to go forward. :thumbs2:

Went from here

DSC00758.jpg

to here

DSC00828.jpg

to here.

DSC00837.jpg

and

DSC00838.jpg

DSC00842.jpg

DSC00843.jpg

Coadster thanks for the spindles, they are a lot better than the ones I had. Thanks for looking.

chamjack

Looking good. :thumbs2:

HorseFixer

10-dash 4 she is beginning to like like a beauty! :thumbs2:

tgranthamfd

This weekend I built a big e-tank with a shelf, for the big parts. Finished the paint on the last fender, brake peddel, lift arm, lift lock, and hood stand. Renforced the hood stand, hope it will do. Also finished the tear down and got the frame in the wash. Here is a couple of pics. On the hood stand I took some 1/2" angle, and made a V from the top corners to a center point at the bottom, and welded it in. Thanks til next time.

DSC00855.jpg

DSC00846.jpg

DSC00847.jpg

DSC00862.jpg

Made a small parts painting rack, as well.

DSC00863.jpg

tgranthamfd

Well, got the frame done and tore into the transmission over the weekend, also got all of the smaller parts finished. The tranny refreshining may take some time, finding parts. Most looked good inside the 5010 and there was plenty of oil in it with little signs of water, all clean and no rusty gummy gunk. The worst part of it was the brake arm, rod, roll pin, and pully removal, bent the rod up some, may be salvageable if I can stragihten it back out. Try to get a couple of pics up later. Thanks.

tgranthamfd

Here is a couple of pics for you.spent more time on the tranny than anything. Frame after a three day wash.

DSC00867.jpg

Finished Frame.

DSC00872.jpg

50 year old transmission pics, I was impressed.

DSC00886.jpg

DSC00878.jpg

DSC00883.jpg

Thanks for looking, until next time. :thumbs2:

TJ

The three piece, and Unidrive transmissions are so simply even I can understand how they work. But man are they tough.

Keep the pictures coming. :thumbs2: