Maxwell-8

Kohler k301 Valve stem seals

Maxwell-8

My Kohler K301 is letting oil seep tru the valve guides, Can this be fixed?

DSC_0242.JPG

ebinmaine

:popcorn:

Mickwhitt

There are no valve stem oil seals on this engine. I did muse about the possibility of using a car oil seal but there is very little space between the spring and valve guide to fit one in. 

I think that oil is forced up the valve stem, guide when the crank case pressurises, obviously the valves need some lubrication. But the manual gives a tolerance for wear on the valve stems and its a case of removing the valves, measuring the stems and guides to see how much wear there is. My guess is they will be like mine and need both replacing. 

Mick 

• Thanks 1

Maxwell-8
9 minutes ago, Mickwhitt said:

There are no valve stem oil seals on this engine. I did muse about the possibility of using a car oil seal but there is very little space between the spring and valve guide to fit one in. 

I think that oil is forced up the valve stem, guide when the crank case pressurises, obviously the valves need some lubrication. But the manual gives a tolerance for wear on the valve stems and its a case of removing the valves, measuring the stems and guides to see how much wear there is. My guess is they will be like mine and need both replacing. 

Mick 

Oh tanks, so the valves just need to be replaced?

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Oh tanks, so the valves just need to be replaced?

Likely valves AND guides

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mickwhitt

If the guides are worn they need replacing too. They knock out from the top with a suitable punch. Let me take some photos and post them.

Mick 

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Have you verified the cleanliness and proper operation of the breather on the side of the engine?

• Like 2

Maxwell-8
31 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Have you verified the cleanliness and proper operation of the breather on the side of the engine?

Seems to be okey

Mickwhitt

Good point Eric!

This is my kit of tools for the valve guides. 

20210122_110550.jpg.7961234bd5b01a813bac6b53175df741.jpg

The punch was turned from brass to fit the valve guides really well. The spigot fits into the bore to keep the punch centred.  

20210122_110138.jpg.9197742e4b3c455021f58ac0a8f89d7c.jpg

20210122_110146.jpg.718fdb549cad66f0120680ad0d3ee028.jpg

Drift the guides out from above, remembering they are at an angle to the vertical!

Mark each guide inlet or exhaust so you don't mix them up.

According to the manual the exhaust stem has a slight taper to prevent it sticking in the valve guides so remember that when measuring the ex valve stem.

The small hole gauges are the best way to measure the guide bores. 

20210122_110559.jpg.2b4bbeb9a6e188907f0ad4a99e980fc7.jpgThey expand into the bores and you measure across the ball with a micrometer. 

If you are going to all this trouble replace the valves and guides for what they cost. The guides need to be reamed out to 5/16" after they are pressed in (remember they are at a slight angle so don't press perpendicular to the crankcase/sump gasket face).

• Excellent 3

Mickwhitt

Hope that all makes sense, remember, I was a spanner monkey 30 odd years ago and the old skills are a mite rusty.

You can attempt the do the guides while the engine is still in the frame but its a lot easier on the bench. 

• Like 1