71_Bronco

Caliper Help Please

71_Bronco

Need to pick up a caliper for home use. Will be used mostly to measure thread OD's and bolt lengths, some hole diameters, etc. Typical garage work.

Not looking to measure down to the nearest 10-thousandth of an inch.

At my old job (in a machine shop), we used Mitutoyo's and Starretts that were $100+ each, but we were also making parts that were +/- .001 on some dimensions (most were +/-.005, but some were held tighter).

I can read digital and dial types, not well versed on the Vernier style. I can read a Vernier micrometer, so I'm sure I can learn if needed.

Are the cheapie harbor freight ones okay for this use? Or would I be better off trying to find a better name-brand one? Or perhaps an old, vintage one?

squonk

I have several HF calipers. Even the plastic ones work well for home use.

• Like 8

WHX??

I just got a cheapy $10-20 one off flea bay. Works ok and gets me in ball parks. I would start off with one of those. If it doesn't pan out you ain't married to it. 

caliper digital | eBay

• Like 3

Racinbob

For what you're wanting I agree with Mike on the plastic. I have three of them. One in the garage, one in the workshop and one at my desk. Handy and super cheap. For reloading I need something better and I've used this dial for many years. Mainly for reloading. I don't know what brand it is but it has the Smith and Wesson logo on it so I thought it was cool. Personally I prefer the dial type and I don't want to rely on a battery. :)

Calipers.jpg.44fcf9c4ee3070e82a8652cb4f4ab517.jpg

• Like 5

Ed Kennell

I find a lit of vintage Starrett and Brown & Sharp tools at auctions  for cheap.   I remember one young auctioneer selling a set of Starrett OD mics as a C clamp set.  I still have that set.

I have to confess for many OD measurements I use my Red Neck Caliper.....an adjustable wrench and a tape measure.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

WHX??
3 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

and I don't want to rely on a battery

Very true Bob pulled it out many times to have a dead button style battery. Frustrating if you don't have a spare. 

WHX??
6 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

at auctions  for cheap. 

Found this in the bottom of an auction box of junk for 5 bucks. Handy for measuring end play. 

20190418_161240.jpg

The cheapy flea bay in action 

20190331_092348.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 4

Handy Don

For years I've been using a steel one from my dad's days in manufacturing but reading those fine markings was getting challenging to my aging eyesight.

Just got a digital from my engineer daughter for Christmas. Gotta say I like it a lot (it has auto-shut off!). If I were to ask for one feature, though, it would be an optional setting for precision level that would give a reading of ⅜+ instead of 49/128ths (it will happily also give me the metric or decimal equivalent)! I like that it is stainless steel and that it has the IP54 dust/moisture protection.

Kenneth R Cluley

If you are used to the well made tools as you mentioned, you will probably be disappointed with cheap version. I also look at flea markets, auctions, vintage stores for used older tools. Don't like digital for same reason, batteries fail when needed most. Plastic versions will get you close and I have used in past but still prefer a quality tool.

WVHillbilly520H

I bought a 0-1" micrometer (Mit) 6" dial caliper (B&S) 1" depth mic (Fowler) 6pc set of Starret Telescopic Gages) and a couple other things about 2 years ago ALL for $175 locally off CL. You just never know what you may find if you look.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 3

squonk
38 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I find a lit of vintage Starrett and Brown & Sharp tools at auctions  for cheap.   I remember one young auctioneer selling a set of Starrett OD mics as a C clamp set.  I still have that set.

I have to confess for many OD measurements I use my Red Neck Caliper.....an adjustable wrench and a tape measure.

ED! BLASPHEMY!!! ADJUSTABLE WRENCHES ARE TO BE USE TO HAMMER ON THINGS ONLY!!!!! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Pullstart

I have some Fowler calipers too.  They were much cheaper than Mitutoyo and have lasted me close to 20 years already.

Though I check it before every use, I have never needed to turn the dial to keep a true zero.  

077A2499-BED1-4610-A0F8-1F684CCD1B1A.jpeg

• Like 6

squonk

I bought quite a few machinist tools of CL and Marketplace. This past summer I picked up a few micrometers. I have a Central tools 3"-4" micro as well as a Starrett. The Starrett does not have the locking feature. I bought a brand new dial bore gauge and was setting it up to measure a K341 bore. Set the CT micro up to the std bore of 3.750" I checked the micro with my HF calipers. The measurement was not the same. I got out more calipers. they were all reading the same. About .010" off. I got out the Starrett and don't you know all of those calipers, even the plastic ones were dead on to the Starrett. The CT Micro was off! :banana-wrench:

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

pacer

Like most of you I got my 3 'professional' (Brown/Sharpe) calipers off the bay, I keep one at the main workbench, one at the mill. and another at the lathe. Then I keep some 4-5 'cheapos' (the $20+/-) scattered around the shop near what ever area I'm working on at the time. I find the 'cheapos' to be pretty darn good, maybe a bit more sensitive to mishandling.

As for the digitals, I have 3 of those, 2 6" and one 12". I keep these primarily to use for metric - on battery life, I found pretty quickly to pop the button battery out when not in use and just leave it in the case. Since I use the 12" so seldom, I think that batt is maybe 10-12yrs old.

Whats my favorite? ---- the Brown/Sharpes!

• Like 4

DET

I have a digital from HF, works great for what I need. If I were a machinist I would have something better for sure.

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

Buy a set of 1-2-3 blocks and uses those for your "standards" when they don't come with the tools. Plus other uses as well. https://cncphilosophy.com/1-2-3-blocks/

• Like 2

squonk
5 hours ago, squonk said:

ED! BLASPHEMY!!! ADJUSTABLE WRENCHES ARE TO BE USE TO HAMMER ON THINGS ONLY!!!!! :lol:

TOLD YOU :helmet:

Image may contain: text that says 'THE PERFECT TOOL DOESN'T EXIS... Hil RAFTSMAN'

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

squonk

Image may contain: people sitting, text that says 'Some people will use an adjustable hammer for anything...'

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 3
  • Heart 1

71_Bronco

Thanks for the help guys.

I checked out the HF ones while I was there, wasn't super impressed.

I have a couple I'm watching on the bay right now, some nice condition vintage ones. We'll see how that goes.

Edit: I did check out CL and FB Marketplace. No deals or big collections as of right now.

Edited by 71_Bronco
  • Like 1