Maxwell-8

Cutting 8-speed seals

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

time to try it tomorrow, got a spare trans, so indeed nothing to loose.  Made myself a nice hub puller from a thick steel plate

Are you going to pull through all five existing hub lug nut holes?

• Like 1

Maxwell-8
18 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Are you going to pull through all five existing hub lug nut holes?

I would want to but have only 3 standard size bolt, europe uses metric, i am using a lower power impact as my fuse. didn't strip any lugnut holes.

Did work nice, just a thick plate. Only the 314-8 trans (wich is pre toro so 1 and 1/8inch, 8 pinion) made the puller work hard, the hub was rust welded. Bizon hammerd the snap ring over, so the axle came out. And i didn't mind that, because that hub woudn't be possible to pull off whit any puller. My puller from 1/2 inch thick plate was starting to bent. I stuck the hub in my big vise, took a socket that just fitted in there, took my biggest sledge hammer and pounded on here. and after some minutes of horor, a sandwiched socket. she was free. pfff.

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

You need to split the case to change any bearings...sorry.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maxwell-8
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

You need to split the case to change any bearings...sorry.  :occasion-xmas:

Okey! , the axle is just flooting when you look in the tranny from the axle. No bearings to see. Some idiot removed the bearing, probably damaged it when replacing the axle seals.

BeninCT
On 1/27/2021 at 1:28 PM, Maxwell-8 said:

time to try it tomorrow, got a spare trans, so indeed nothing to loose.  Made myself a nice hub puller from a thick steel plate

And another small question: Can the outer axle bearing be replaced without splitting the case? Bought  spare, replaced the seals only to find out, it didn't had axle bearing on the right axle and moved a bit up and down. It did had one on the left side. 

Thanks!!!!

Once welds are broken don’t forget to look for set screws.  Not sure if these have them but I have been in the same spot on a boat project before and gouges the shaft pretty bad dragging set screw with my homemade puller...

• Like 1

Maxwell-8
46 minutes ago, BeninCT said:

Once welds are broken don’t forget to look for set screws.  Not sure if these have them but I have been in the same spot on a boat project before and gouges the shaft pretty bad dragging set screw with my homemade puller...

first thing i do is pull those screw, and spray some penatration oil in them let it it for an hour. then i grease up my bolts of the puller, cause i am pulling with 3 bolts thru treads in the hub.

• Like 1