Crmaverick

What’s with the hype on the mid mount grader blades?

Crmaverick
5 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

If I had to explain you wouldn't  understand. ..:)

20181011_173022.jpg

20181013_090059.jpg

20181013_115500.jpg

20181013_091404.jpg

wow this is awesome. I never knew you could spread big piles like that, thought you’d need a dozer.

So I get the hype now. anyone here want to sell a grader blade? Lol 

• Like 1

WHX??

Yep ... all done with a lowly 8 hp too.... real good seat time! 

• Like 3

DennisThornton

It was hard for me at first, Tim Taylor, Tool Time, more power are all at fault.  Tasks that involve more than traction benefit from more than the power you can get to the tire and the ground.  Snowblowing slush!  But if you can get 8 hp to the ground you can move about all a WH with a blade can move.  Traction first!  Weight, tires and chains to get there.  Not HP.  Not until you get there with less HP.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

Traction first!  Weight, tires and chains to get there

@Crmaverick

Large sized words of great wisdom. 

These tractors are all fairly heavy for the years they were made. 

Extra weight is certainly a huge help. 

When in snowplowing mode my Cinnamon Horse C160 weighs about TWICE the stock weight. 

• Like 1

WHX??
11 hours ago, Crmaverick said:

anyone here want to sell a grader blade?

They can be a pain to find and pricey when you do. I lucked out and it came with the 857 with a nice deck for 450 bucks. @Achto always threatened to borrow it but then pulled the horseshoe out of his butt and found his and they was dang near giving it away so patience and looking helps. 

It doesn't hurt to have some traction getters but I did the whole job with the turfs, run what I brung with no problems. Just kept taking little nips off the pile. 

Only casualty was....

20181013_091452.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

squonk
11 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Yep ... all done with a lowly 8 hp too.... real good seat time! 

7 HP works too! :banana-jumprope:

How's the weather lookin for Sunday Jim? :occasion-xmas:

704.jpg.1bf8c7854c8820012ff49f61c5f5188c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

littleredrider

I’ve been looking for one too,  not much luck. But there is an 1848 for sale local to me and come with one, along with a bunch of other stuff really don’t need, but won’t sell separately. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
Just now, littleredrider said:

I’ve been looking for one too,  not much luck. But there is an 1848 for sale local to me and come with one, along with a bunch of other stuff really don’t need, but won’t sell separately. 

If the price is right that could be a purchase and resell situation. 

Depending on the condition of the tractor and whatever other implements there are you may be able to make most or all of your money right back. 

littleredrider

Yeah I thought about that, and still thinking, but he's asking $800 for it all, and just can't do that right now. Maybe if I get the extra stimulus lol. The tractor doesn't look too bad, other than harbor freight special front tires. Dunno why but always liked the 1848s, twin briggs, Eaton 1100 hydro, hydro lift......maybe I'll see what the best he can do for it. I know that grader blade will come in real handy doing the floor in the garage and this summer the land scaping around it....

• Like 1

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, littleredrider said:

Yeah I thought about that, and still thinking, but he's asking $800 for it all, and just can't do that right now. Maybe if I get the extra stimulus lol. The tractor doesn't look too bad, other than harbor freight special front tires. Dunno why but always liked the 1848s, twin briggs, Eaton 1100 hydro, hydro lift......maybe I'll see what the best he can do for it. I know that grader blade will come in real handy doing the floor in the garage and this summer the land scaping around it....

Hard to touch something like that for twice the price around here

That grader is worth about $300 just by itself...

Sounds like a decent deal. 

Crmaverick
8 hours ago, WHX24 said:

They can be a pain to find and pricey when you do. I lucked out and it came with the 857 with a nice deck for 450 bucks. @Achto always threatened to borrow it but then pulled the horseshoe out of his butt and found his and they was dang near giving it away so patience and looking helps. 

It doesn't hurt to have some traction getters but I did the whole job with the turfs, run what I brung with no problems. Just kept taking little nips off the pile. 

Only casualty was....

20181013_091452.jpg

Is that a home made grader blade? 

WHX??

No its a genuine :wh: Mav... I think it's a newer style one but no matter it fits up good in the mid mount.

Can be somewhat of a pain to change the angle 'cause you have to lean way over to the right to lift the lever. Make sure it's in neutral cause yer foot is gonna come off the clutch! Other bad thing is ther is no down pressure  other than the weight of your feet on top of blade. No biggy once you get the hang of it. EB knows but might be different on a hydro or other models.

10 hours ago, squonk said:

How's the weather lookin for Sunday Jim? :occasion-xmas:

Calling for snow... 2-4" but who knows Mike... weatherman only job you can be 100% wrong and still have a job!  I get the call to haul the deuce up ther  to blow off yard markers let ya know! :occasion-xmas:

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Make sure it's in neutral cause yer foot is gonna come off the clutch! Other bad thing is ther is no down pressure  other than the weight of your feet on top of blade. No biggy once you get the hang of it. EB knows

For the record:

There's a label that states not to put your feet on the blade. 

So it's a good thing Trina (((never))) does that!! ...... Cough. Cough. Cough. 

She's not very big but she is flexible so she can reach/use the clutch/brake and the up/down handle. 

She does keep the solid link on the mid mount grader blade as well as the dozer so she does have down pressure for both. 

Lee1977

They can be built. Here is the one I built.

SAM-0635.jpg

SAM-1037.jpg[u

SAM-0806.jpg

SAM-0807.jpg

SAM-0096.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 4

squonk

I had a mid / back blade made out of a Si!plicity grader. I'll have to find the thrrad.

• Like 1

Wvtroutbum81

Will the 40” blade fit a 300 series

WHX??
On 1/21/2021 at 7:14 PM, squonk said:

I had a mid / back blade made out of a Si!plicity grader. I'll have to find the thrrad.

Missed that post Sqounky but yes the Simplicitys are very beefy. Buddy of @Achto and I has one.

18 minutes ago, Wvtroutbum81 said:

No idea Bum but would think it would??? 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Wvtroutbum81 said:

57 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

No idea Bum but would think it would??? 

Yessir it do. With the right link.  

300/400 is basically a later model C Series. 

Wvtroutbum81
58 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Yessir it do. With the right link.  

300/400 is basically a later model C Series. 

Ok thank you, i found one close to home.

what link do i need? I bet its harder to find than the blade😂

ebinmaine
20 minutes ago, Wvtroutbum81 said:

Ok thank you, i found one close to home.

what link do i need? I bet its harder to find than the blade😂

I'm not positive.  

But on the plus side... you can make the link. 

No worries.  

Rick3478
On 1/20/2021 at 9:41 PM, c-series don said:

I have been running road graders since 1993 and truly enjoyed the challenge of being the guy that had to make it perfect before the paving crew showed up. To me operating a grader is the pinnacle of equipment operating. That being said, I have a 50” mid-mount grader blade on a Work Horse GT-1800 and I live on a dirt road. Occasionally I take it out to fix the potholes and I have to say that thing works like a champ! I just wish it had a tilt feature. To me it’s a fun attachment that actually works! 

The tilt feature is your feet pushing one side down. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

c-series don

Nice to see this thread revived!

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

It’s not hype when talking about the Wheel Horse mid grader blades!   This is one of the best attachments Wheel Horse made to go with their tractors of all sizes. 

I have two ! The older version used in midattachamatic and the later version used on the rear snowplow hitch.  Both work great.   Yes you can move tons with these- just take your time !

Yes believe the hype -it’s real!

9853F26F-DD12-45E4-AFEB-EB1F115E2C54.jpeg

0680E6EA-D33E-434C-96ED-E35EB8AE6CAE.jpeg

F8FCFD43-9134-411E-B675-26F9BAFB4F01.jpeg

7FD76DF7-8876-4A3D-96D2-1404174D51C7.jpeg

B85C1ABE-FC8A-439B-9B2F-69EE30CDE1DA.jpeg

0EF8DC40-8F30-487F-9E0F-3A7B095F9F41.jpeg

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Lane Ranger said:

I have two ! The older version used in midattachamatic and the later version used on the rear snowplow hitch.  Both work great

What's your thoughts and impressions on the rear mounted version bring used on a manual lift vs a hydro? 

I've read/heard multiple times the rear blades tend to dig in pretty hard if not well controlled but a mid mount is easier to drag over the material. 

WHX??

Dibs on that rear mount you get tired of it Lane! 

This summer I had 45 tons of 3/8 screenings hauled in and built a drive way and huge trailer parking area. Distributed it all with the 520 FEL and a mid mount on the 867.

Little bit of help with a Brinly back blade on a 1067 I picked up from @JoeM but not as handy as the mid mount. 

20230407_094433.jpg

Even tho the back blade is fairly heavy no down pressure so it skipped abit and wouldn't move big piles. Should have had it on the 1257 plow mule that has  a HY-2 on it. Worked OK for final passes. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 6