Jump to content
cschannuth

12 Auto

Recommended Posts

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, cschannuth said:

on coldstart you just pull out to choke and give it a little bit of throttle and flip the toggle switch up till it starts and then flip it back down. I thought that was odd too

So how does it shut off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
cschannuth
20 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

So how does it shut off?


It is a 3 position toggle. Down is off, the middle position is run, and up is start. It acts just like a key switch. After you lift the switch to start the engine, it returns to the center position when you release it. I’m assuming a normal Starter/generator switch with a key could directly replace that toggle. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ebinmaine
1 hour ago, cschannuth said:

I’m assuming a normal Starter/generator switch with a key could directly replace that toggle

I believe it would. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
cschannuth
On 1/19/2021 at 8:30 PM, Roger R said:

Everything looks like my '68 Charger 12, except the S/G.  Mine has the gear drive starter and internal alternator.

Wheel Horse 4-18-2020 (3).jpg

That is a nice looking machine. Is that decal on the hood the wood grain style? I’d like to get a new set of decals but I’m not finding anything for a 68 charger except for the hood stickers. I really need all of the decals in a full set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
rjg854

Saveyourhorse.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
cschannuth
2 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

Saveyourhorse.com


That took me to a horse rescue site. I tried redoyourhorse. Thanks though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
rjg854

Sorry, after I saw my post I realized my mistake :hide:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
RandyLittrell

At least they labeled the wiring! 

 

That solenoid looks way too close to the gas tank to me! 

 

I would keep the solenoid and just move it if it is indeed almost touching, maybe just how the pic looks.The wiring should be easy to fix if ya wanna make it factory looking. 

 

I rarely see anything in my side of the state that good that isn't way overpriced. 

 

 

 

 

Randy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
cschannuth
15 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

I would keep the solenoid and just move it if it is indeed almost touching, maybe just how the pic looks.The wiring should be easy to fix if ya wanna make it factory looking. 


I would like to clean it up but I didn’t think they normally had solenoids. My wiring diagram doesn’t show one. Is there a diagram with one and where should it be mounted?  It’s working as is so I suppose I could relocate it and extend wiring as needed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
WHX24

Thing that points me to a 1277 is the battery looks to the bigger auto style that should have had the top pinch posts we all know and love.

 

The nerve of a PO putting a side post batt on a vintage tractor! :lol:

 

I thought in 68 they went to the smaller size batt on long frames? I'll go snap some pics of a 67 & 68 battery tray width.

Edited by WHX24
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
RandyLittrell
13 minutes ago, cschannuth said:


I would like to clean it up but I didn’t think they normally had solenoids. My wiring diagram doesn’t show one. Is there a diagram with one and where should it be mounted?  It’s working as is so I suppose I could relocate it and extend wiring as needed. 

 

Check this out Craig. I think it should help. I would keep the solenoid since the original way had full current running to the switch and that is a lot of amps. Better to keep it away from the panel in my mind. 

 

 

If everything is working and charging, you should be able to just move the solenoid and replace the wires one at a time along with the correct switch.

 

 

 

Randy

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by RandyLittrell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
WHX24

1277 just shy of 7"

68 Raider 12  which is 5 1/2 but  should be the same as '68 hydro?

 

20210124_202850.jpg

20210124_202920.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ebinmaine
6 hours ago, WHX24 said:

1277 just shy of 7"

68 Raider 12  which is 5 1/2 but  should be the same as '68 hydro?

 

20210124_202850.jpg

20210124_202920.jpg

 

Battery size may have been optional Jim. 

Only guessing. 

 

I have a 68 Raider but I can't remember what's in there. 

My 70 Charger and 74 C160 both have the larger tray. 

Both certainly could have been changed. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ebinmaine
8 hours ago, cschannuth said:

That is a nice looking machine. Is that decal on the hood the wood grain style? I’d like to get a new set of decals but I’m not finding anything for a 68 charger except for the hood stickers. I really need all of the decals in a full set.

 

Just get right ahold of Terry directly by way of phone. 

He'll fix you right up. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
cschannuth
20 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

 

Check this out Craig. I think it should help. I would keep the solenoid since the original way had full current running to the switch and that is a lot of amps. Better to keep it away from the panel in my mind. 

 

 

If everything is working and charging, you should be able to just move the solenoid and replace the wires one at a time along with the correct switch.

 

 

 

Randy

 

 

 

 

 

That’s what I plan to do eventually. However, I’d like to add in the generator warning light and cigarette lighter just to be period correct but it looks like there’s a bit of a mixture between the two wiring styles when it comes to what type of switch you use when you don’t have a generator and when you do. I’ll have to do a little head scratching to figure that all out wen the time comes. For now I think I’m just going to correct the seat pan and seat issue, swap Snow plow and snow plow tractor tires to this Hydro, and use it until spring when I can pull everything apart.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ebinmaine
35 minutes ago, cschannuth said:

it looks like there’s a bit of a mixture between the two wiring styles when it comes to what type of switch you use when you don’t have a generator and when you do. I’ll have to do a little head scratching to figure that all out wen the time comes

@squonk

Was it you that said to add a solenoid to an S/G tractor you can still use the old style switch and wiring... Give or take....

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
953 nut
1 hour ago, cschannuth said:

looks like there’s a bit of a mixture between the two wiring styles when it comes to what type of switch you use when you don’t have a generator and when you do.

You would want to use a 103-990 ignition switch and this diagram. The Generator light would be a Cole-Hersee PL 20 RC, not a standard light socket.

5b202ef98cc34_wiring-starter-generatorwithbatteryignition.jpg.24ab0ca0cab6d9b8f7d7ffb2a7a42fbc.jpg

  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
squonk

You can use the old switch. You run a small battery wire to the switch. And run a small wire from the start terminal of the switch to the small terminal of the solenoid. Battery positive cable to one side of the solenoid and the other side run a battery cable sized wire to the generator. Turn the key to start and the solenoid closes sending power to the gen

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Handy Don
57 minutes ago, squonk said:

Turn the key to start and the solenoid closes sending power to the gen

Just like them newfangled tractors, right! :D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Roger R
On 1/24/2021 at 8:26 PM, cschannuth said:

That is a nice looking machine. Is that decal on the hood the wood grain style? I’d like to get a new set of decals but I’m not finding anything for a 68 charger except for the hood stickers. I really need all of the decals in a full set.

Thanks.  Its somewhat of a family member, as I have owned it for almost 40 years. Most of that time its had easy life. Mowed with it for about 5 years, and only light duty since.  It powers my boom sprayer, hauls a few loads of leaves every fall, a trail ride now and again etc etc. Has never spent a night outside.  Yes those are wood grain decals. (Oh and its not for sale) :)

  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Roger R
On 1/20/2021 at 8:21 AM, pullstart said:


That’s an awesome looking machine!

Thanks PS.  I have a great time with it.  Some day I am going think up an excuse to cruse over to Middleville and check out your herd!

  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
pullstart
1 minute ago, Roger R said:

Thanks PS.  I have a great time with it.  Some day I am going think up an excuse to cruse over to Middleville and check out your herd!


I’d say we have a nice country kitchen, but we can’t eat there yet...  otherwise not a whole lot to attract a person here :handgestures-thumbupright:  If you ever feel the urge to come trip over tractors, send me a PM..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...