Sign in to follow this  
bell

Another runner!!!

bell

Yesterday, I decided to get the 1054 running... It only took about 15 minutes and she was running! :omg:

It runs really well! There is a slight puff of smoke when you throttle up, but I can live with that for now...

There was a whining sound when I fired it up... I automatically thought it was the hydraulic lift pump. The belt was in poor shape, so I cut it off. Well, it wasn't the hydraulic pump, it was the starter/generator... Luckily I have a "long" one on the shelf.

As soon as I got the carb tuned, the governor set right and the point gap closed up(it was about .030 :( ) I had to see how it would handle a load... The only thing I could find was my 16' trailer. I hitched it up and drove it around a bit... It drove like there wasn't anything hooked to it! :drool:

The new rear tires should be here tomorrow!!! :drool:

0526091926.jpg

Lane Ranger

Jon: It is great feeling when that 1054 engine turns and you begining pulling that trailer! You are going to really like your restoration on that 1054 because you are bringing a great piece of equipment back to life! and it's just fun to drive!

:omg: Plus it adds a lot to your great collection!

Gene_S

Hey Jon nice find!!! I sent your thumb screw out and you should see them soon... Now your going to need four more for the hood on your 1054. I have a 1054 with duel tires on the rear and a 4 foot loader on the front sure is fun to play with.

Thanks,

Gene :omg:

Duff

So Jon, howsabout hooking up to that white tractor in the background and giving that a good pull? :drool::omg:

Duff :drool:

gd.pudge

gee! jon is that your new horse hauler in yhe pic next your the tractor? :omg:

bell

Well, I've been busy... no pics yet, but the story goes something like this....

I got the new 5.00-15 AGs today and mounted them up... They are too narrow, but they will do for now. MUCH better than what was on it when I got it!

I was driving it around without the hood and noticed a occasional puff coming from the spark plug area... I went to tighten the spark plug and realized that the threads in the head were stripped. I have a spare, so it's no big deal. Also, since I needed to change the starter/generator, I figured I'd pull the engine and have a look-see inside. I found a VERY recent (before it was parked) rebuild... The piston is .030 over and appears to be in very good shape... Also the rod is in very good shape... I found that ALL of the rings (even the 3-piece oil control ring) had their gaps lined up in a row (they are supposed to be staggered)... and that side of the piston was much darker than the other side... Gee, I wonder if that would cause a slight oil control issue... lol :drool:

I'm going to stagger the rings, do a light hone job and put her back together... I see no reason why she shouldn't run for YEARS. :omg:

I'll get some pics of it in a few days... (SUPER busy with work right now and barely had time to post this)... BUT, back to my normal schedule on Monday... :drool:

HorseFixer

Jon Are you gonna put new rings in just to be sure? :omg: How do the valves and guides look? Take a dollar bill and close the valves on a corner of the bill. A Tight valve will rip the bill when you try to remove it.