formariz

Cooper’s Jointer

WHNJ701

Next time I am cousins shop I try to get some pics, one his distant great great something relatives was a cooper/barrel maker.  Somehow he inherited all the tools I remember.  I know they are ancient pa dutch?

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Very cool!

Care to elaborate on its unique applications? vs a standard plane... curious...

• Like 1

Maxwell-8
39 minutes ago, formariz said:

B58F5BAE-AF3C-4955-ABD0-AC0418F6801C.jpeg.fd25ae8aa37bf4ce21c06e72dc305554.jpeg

Looks really nice, 

Ideal fire tinder, to get the stove going!

• Like 4

formariz
37 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Very cool!

Care to elaborate on its unique applications? vs a standard plane... curious...

Barrel staves are beveled on the edges and ends are tapered from the center on each side. This was done by running stave by hand on jointers like this used upside down at an angle with heel up against a block or wall and toe of plane on a trestle or stand. Curiously enough this one from the marks  and wear on it never had a stand but it was cantilevered on some type of special block on the heel. It will not be used that way here since my back is not very forgiving to leaning  for long. It will be used on the vise as shown in photo.

A6B67D09-33C3-49F9-975D-287973408D57.jpeg.e0c7054bb6b4926294c54856d4ced786.jpeg

42 minutes ago, jabelman said:

Next time I am cousins shop I try to get some pics, one his distant great great something relatives was a cooper/barrel maker.  Somehow he inherited all the tools I remember.  I know they are ancient pa dutch?

Part of family were also coopers. Although I did not inherit many of those tools I did inherit the knowledge on how to make barrels. Here is a photo of one recently completed many years ago as I was also building my bench.

Scan7.jpg.ed7e62cdd79cce5c1f26e843c713152f.jpg

Edited by formariz
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 2

formariz
14 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Ideal fire tinder, to get the stove going!

Inexhaustible supply here all year around!

IMG_4193.JPG.73b77f3e36745a4678715629c466a9fb.JPG

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Pullstart

Just imagine how many projects have been completed by first building the most important tool.. the work bench!

317DA870-977E-47D0-91EB-34193615FBC6.jpeg

EC5F34B3-5335-4ADE-8E25-8BC8BD1AAFA0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

squonk

My Grandfather and my wife's Grandfather both had those jointers. Never saw it in use.

I think I'm more fascinated by the pics of your shop than by the actual subjects of the threads.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, formariz said:

Barrel staves are beveled on the edges and ends are tapered from the center on each side. This was done by running stave by hand on jointers like this used upside down at an angle with heel up against a block or wall and toe of plane on a trestle or stand. Curiously enough this one from the marks  and wear on it never had a stand but it was cantilevered on some type of special block on the heel. It will not be used that way here since my back is not very forgiving to leaning  for long. It will be used on the vise as shown in photo.

A6B67D09-33C3-49F9-975D-287973408D57.jpeg.e0c7054bb6b4926294c54856d4ced786.jpeg

Part of family were also coopers. Although I did not inherit many of those tools I did inherit the knowledge on how to make barrels. Here is a photo of one recently completed many years ago as I was also building my bench.

Scan7.jpg.ed7e62cdd79cce5c1f26e843c713152f.jpg

History in the making right there.

Another wonderful thread. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Handy Don
2 hours ago, formariz said:

Barrel staves are beveled on the edges and ends are tapered from the center on each side. This was done by running stave by hand on jointers like this used upside down at an angle with heel up against a block or wall and toe of plane on a trestle or stand.

Was there a tool or fixture to hold the stave while jointing? Seems risky to fingers to move piece over tool instead of vice versa.

Edited by Handy Don

Pullstart
38 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Was there a tool or fixture to hold the stave while jointing? Seems risky to fingers to move piece over tool instead of vice versa.

So would you say a skill saw is safer than a table saw?  

Ed Kennell
3 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Both are dangerous enough that some accident prone people should avoid using...just sayin.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine

PPE is your friend. 

Pullstart
21 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Both are dangerous enough that some accident prone people should avoid using...just sayin.

Are you just sayin I’m accident prone people?  :ROTF:

• Haha 5

Ed Kennell

See the source image

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

JoeM

A place up the road here processes barrel wood. Lots of PA hardwood trucking in and pallets of the stave strips headed out. At one time they would give you the rejects but I figured folks got greedy and now send them over to the stove pallet plant. Not sure but they make a sweet camp fire. A small pile burns for hours nice bluish flame. 

https://www.wilsonforestproducts.com/

Edited by JoeM
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

formariz
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

No tool guide or fixture. It’s done freehand without any measuring or templates. It’s all about practice and experience with the process. One does have to be careful when doing very small pieces but barrel staves are usually not that narrow where ones fingers get that close to cutter. Below is a short video on how it’s used .

• Thanks 1

formariz
1 hour ago, JoeM said:

A place up the road here processes barrel wood. Lots of PA hardwood trucking in and pallets of the stave strips headed out. At one time they would give you the rejects but I figured folks got greedy and now send them over to the stove pallet plant. Not sure but they make a sweet camp fire. A small pile burns for hours nice bluish flame. 

https://www.wilsonforestproducts.com/

It’s all the best White Oak available that is used in barrel making. Some of the best firewood there is.

formariz
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

Both have their own unique dangers. The idea is to know what they are and avoid them. 

2 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Seems risky to fingers to move piece over tool instead of vice versa.

There is a certain risk to it. Reason why its done this way is the same as for any time a decision is made to run the tool over the work vs running the work over the tool or vise versa. Its about efficiency and efficacy first, and second its convenience. In this particular operation it would take forever to run tool over work, since work would have to be clamped in a vise and constantly be removed to ensure that all four edges are correct and consistent. This way one quickly performs the task and checks it without wasting any time removing it from a vise, putting it back again and at the same time continuously picking up and dropping the tool. It is also much easier to keep a consistent angle on the edge of the stave than to try and keep a plane and the correct angle every time one picks it up. Just refer to the video posted before.

formariz
3 hours ago, squonk said:

I think I'm more fascinated by the pics of your shop than by the actual subjects of the threads.

Thank you. There would be no threads without the shop but then there could be no shop without the threads.:confusion-confused:

5 hours ago, pullstart said:

Just imagine how many projects have been completed by first building the most important tool.. the work bench!

Indeed the most important tool in my life. It was not the first bench built here but it is the one that  was built in honor and memory of those who shared their knowledge with me and inspire me every day of my life.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

Coincidentally, I was given this barrel this week...

B750A04D-4C80-4F49-A537-FE3D320063FF.jpeg

• Like 2

Handy Don
3 hours ago, formariz said:

it would take forever to run tool over work

Thank you for the great explanation :)

I watched a barrel maker at work in Williamsburg years ago but he was at the earlier stage using a spokeshave for roughing the staves. Never thought much about  what came after!

Kligan

It's just a legendary thing. I remember working with a planer like this in my youth, and it's a truly incredible memory. It's a shame that today's children will never understand what it is and what to do with it.

Edited by Kligan

PippaScott
On 7/21/2021 at 11:25 AM, Kligan said:

I remember working with a jointer in a port, my crew and I made all sorts of barrels and crates for the sailors. I made friends at that time, lots of people from different countries in one place. And how that jointer works, God, how it slices the edge! It is a pity that today's children will never understand what it is and what to do with it. I come to my son's workshop sometimes and see that everything we used to do with tools they do with machine tools. I showed him your images, and he said that you need to look at the benchtop jointer reviews, so to speak, your jointer is a thing of the past. That made me sad.

I agree with you. My children have seen nothing but their smartphone, but it seems to be partly my fault too. 

Edited by PippaScott