Gregor

Guess what I bought!

Handy Don
18 hours ago, Gregor said:

Turns out I do have a rope. This thing pulls a LOT easier than my Tecumseh H70. Started on 2nd. pull.

Military has always been big on versatility and reliability. There is an outboard motor used by special forces that can be submerged in salt water (think exit from submarine near the surface) be latched upright on a RIB (rigid inflatable boat) and start on the second pull (first slow pull clears the water from the internals). Then, it runs very quietly. It's a 20hp, if I recall correctly.

Gregor

This past summer while working on 2 cycles, I learned that some of them are made to run in either direction. Boat motors for instance. One direction for forward, one for reverse. Something else I did not know.

• Like 2

Maxwell-8

I think there is nothing so easy and reliable then old surplus stuff!

ebinmaine
45 minutes ago, Gregor said:

This past summer while working on 2 cycles, I learned that some of them are made to run in either direction. Boat motors for instance. One direction for forward, one for reverse. Something else I did not know.

Yessir. 

I've seen that in an old movie.

There have been engines like that around for years. 

Fella literally steps on the flywheel for a split second to stop motion and kicks it the other way. 

Seems @Stepney Spenser told me of those at one point. 

• Like 1

Stepney

Thinking of the African Queen, perhaps? Can't remember if that was a steamer in the movie or not.

Yes I had a few that would reverse, almost all the old inboard 2-cycle engines had a timing advance lever that would throw over center. Either rock the engine with a boot, or slow it down and throw the timer into reverse.. watch it unnervingly jar and start up the wrong way.

Drove a '69 Mercury snowmobile that had a similar system, with two starter motors to crank the engine one way or the other.. my ElTo outboard also uses a similar system and is quite frightening in the flesh.

• Like 1

Gregor
  • Dam. I sometimes have trouble getting them to go one way! :angry-steamingears:
  • Haha 1

pfrederi

Some old Diesel subs went in to reverse by stopping engine and starting the other way

• Like 1