metalhead0920

1077 transmission flush

metalhead0920

Hey yall, my 1077 calls for transmission fluid in the original manual, Right now it has motor oil in it and looks like all the trans fluid wasnt flushed out prior to converting. I want to put it back to transmission fluid,  could anyone tell me how I can flush out all the oil? Would appreciate any info. Thanks.

peter lena

metalhead0920, back of transmission , bottom left hand corner , there is an Allen head plug there, probably dirt filled , clean it out to use Allen wrench to remove it. jack up front end to increase drainage angle , use 80-90-  or similar gear oil, aprox  2 qts  to fill it. probably replace shifter boot if torn or ripped , that is a moisture intake area .  if you can get any movement use before draining that will help in its run out, pete 

Pete, he has an automatic, not a manual.  stevasaurus

• Confused 1

squonk
2 minutes ago, peter lena said:

metalhead0920, back of transmission , bottom left hand corner , there is an Allen head plug there, probably dirt filled , clean it out to use Allen wrench to remove it. jack up front end to increase drainage angle , use 80-90-  or similar gear oil, aprox  2 qts  to fill it. probably replace shifter boot if torn or ripped , that is a moisture intake area .  if you can get any movement use before draining that will help in its run out, pete 

1077 is a hydro

Stay with the motor oil. Mobil 1 and a 1410 Napa filter

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

I think Squonk is correct.  At this point, stay with the 10w-30.  Drain plug is on the bottom of trans-axle.

• Like 3

peter lena

thanks for the correction , did not verify that unit , a fresh 10-30 refill will do it, pete

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, metalhead0920 said:

I want to put it back to transmission fluid

Why?      Sundstrand switched to motor oil for a reason.     Flush out the mix, and fill with 10-30.   It's cheaper and better for the differential.

• Like 3

pfrederi
17 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Why?      Sundstrand switched to motor oil for a reason.     Flush out the mix, and fill with 10-30.   It's cheaper and better for the differential.

I agree about sticking with oil.  However, I am not sure that it was Sunstrand that made the switch.  Other tractor companies used Sunstrand hydro pump/Motors and different users recommended different fluids.  (Oil ATF TCH and of course JD20 for the green crowd.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

squonk

My C-160 hydro is getting tired. I switched to 10-40 Mobil 1 and it made a big difference.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

rmaynard

My 875 uses Type-A. The previous owner said that he had always used Type-A to top it off. When he sold it to me he said it had never been drained and refilled since his father bought it in 1965 because they could never find the drain plug. So when I got it home I decided to drain and refill. Now bear in mind that there was nothing wrong with it. I could put the front wheels against the foundation and spin the back wheels all day long, and there was no hill in the neighborhood that it wouldn't climb at full speed, even with a cart full of grandsons. But not leaving well enough alone, I had to drain it. Then, while draining, I went in search of Type-A ATF, only to come home empty handed. After doing a bit of research, I was told that Type-A was next to impossible to find, and the best replacement for Type-A was a fully synthetic, universal ATF from Wolf's Head. So I bought a case, put in the specified amount, ran it, burped it, topped it off, and set out to test it on a hill. Halfway up the hill it slowed to a mere crawl. I checked fluid level and it was good. 

I am still in search of Type-A. Moral of this story is LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Sad 2
  • Heart 2

RandyLittrell
1 hour ago, squonk said:

My C-160 hydro is getting tired. I switched to 10-40 Mobil 1 and it made a big difference.

That's good to know, my 1277 is getting a little tired and I may try that! 

Randy

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Cub Cadet used(s) IH HyTran ISO46 or SAE 20 oil in their Sunstrands. So I don't see a mutli-grade like 10w30 can't replace it, I'm glad the 520s are 10w30 in the Eaton 1100.

• Like 2

pfrederi
32 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Cub Cadet used(s) IH HyTran ISO46 or SAE 20 oil in their Sunstrands. So I don't see a mutli-grade like 10w30 can't replace it, I'm glad the 520s are 10w30 in the Eaton 1100.

Thank you ..That was my point  same hydro unit different recommended fluids.  Bottom line keep the water out keep it clean and use what ever.  don't mix things.......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

squonk

C-160 manual said 10-30 or 10-40 so I had no hesitation switching.

cschannuth

I’d like to change the fluid in my Charger 12  I just picked up but now I’m afraid of what to use?  Mine is filthy and nobody around has type A.  Would motor oil or Dex/merc ATF perform better in a 53 year old Sunstrand?  Also, my manual says I need 4 quarts of type A but I’ve seen some folks say 2 quarts of motor oil is adequate. Is there a difference in volume depending on what is put in the system?

Edited by cschannuth

pfrederi

If the current fluid is red then DexMerc will do just fine.  (Captain Ahab has no t been allowed to catch the great white whale lately so type A which used sperm Whale oil has not been around for a long time...:P)  You will need a gallon maybe a bit more.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

cschannuth

Mine is very dark brown. Looks like dirty motor oil to me. 

pfrederi

Then some PO may have changed to motor oil.  Wipe the dipstick on  a clean paper towel. Reddish ATF  tan brown motor oil Drain it completely lift the front end and  refill with about a gallon of ATF or 10w-30 ....

cschannuth

I took out the dipstick and I sanded it down because it was stained. Once I did that it looks like fairly clean motor oil and the filter looks fairly new so it actually might be just fine.

cschannuth

The previous owner only had this tractor for a few months and the gentleman he bought it from said he put in what was recommended and he thought that would have been type F Hydro static fluid. They say that looks like oil. So I’m still not sure what’s in this thing. If I decide to flush it and refill it is it the same process we use with a manual transmission? Add some kerosene and run it? It seems like that might be problematic for a hydrostatic.  I’ve heard some people use transmission fluid to flush there transmission so I assume that would probably be my best bet.

Edited by cschannuth

pfrederi

No do not use Kerosene or any other solvent.  ATF smell different than motor oil.    If you are still not sure decide what you want to use. Drain it refill with new filter run it a few minutes use the lift drain again  new filter and refill repeat  Uses lots of fluid and at least 3 filters that is why I never change fro what was in there. Oil or ATF all work OK.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Thanks 1