Gregor

TVM 220

Gregor

So the H70 has been pushed aside waiting on wire to wrap the coils. Had to take a little time out to do a small woodworking project. I had forgotten just how messy that can be. I don't know much about this motor, other than it came off a lawn tractor. No idea how long it's been setting. First thing I did was drain the oil. Wasn't any. Don't know if that's a good sign or not. Filled it with oil, sprayed a little lubricant into the cylinder, and checked for compression. 90 psi. The starter spins it over very well. It has spark through the cleaned spark plug. That's a good sign anyway. Seemed a little weak to me, but maybe not. Took the bowl off the carb, and everything was exceptionally clean, It has no fuel tank, and it's sitting pretty high, so I have to figure out a way to deliver fuel. I do have a low psi electric fuel pump, will that work?  This motor may not be any fun at all. It may run just fine the way it is. But if anyone can mess it up20210110_181258.jpg.a13dbde598b406e99ac57d93eda62974.jpg..............:thumbs:

• Like 5

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Gregor said:

This motor may not be any fun at all. It may run just fine the way it is. But if anyone can mess it up

I like that you have confidence in your abilities. 

• Haha 4

Gregor

Well dam.  It started right up. This motor is no fun. It seems to load up on fuel, and blow a little black smoke now and then. No one said the electric fuel pump wouldn't work, so I hooked a line up to the H70. Maybe it's the pump making it load up. IDK I have a couple of Lawn Boy fuel tanks I could rig up, but they are out in cold storage, and I mean cold! Tomorrow I will remove and clean the carb, get a new air filter, and spark plug. Once it's running a little smoother, I can check the output of the stator.

• Like 5

Gregor

Supposedly, this motor came from a lawn tractor. It has an electric starter, and a charging system. I would think there has to be a kill wire somewhere, but I have yet to find one. There are 2 wires coming from under the shroud in a harness, that I assume would go to a voltage rectifier, but that's it, no other wire any where. It has a throttle lever, and a choke lever, plus a 3rd. lever that connects to the governor lever, that does something, but I don't know what.

ebinmaine

I've seen machines a time or two where the governor and throttle lever were tied together but I couldn't tell you how.

How is it powered up to start? Is there a coil wire that needs to be positive or anything like that?

Gregor

There is no external coil. I believe it is magneto ignition.

• Like 2

Gregor

It is a TVM 220   157281H.   I have looked at Partstree, but didn't see anything

gwest_ca
1 hour ago, Gregor said:

It is a TVM 220   157281H.   I have looked at Partstree, but didn't see anything

https://www.partstree.com/models/tvm220-157281h-tecumseh-engine/

Wheel Horse used a TVM220 in a 1982 model LT-1032 3-Speed Tractor using model number A2-103201 but I don't see the Spec number.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?q=A2-103201&quick=1&type=downloads_file

Garry

Gregor

OK  I think I got it. There are 2 wires coming from under the shroud in a harness. I just assumed they were AC voltage wires that would go to a voltage rectifier. I took the shroud off, it seems the voltage regulator is under the shroud. One of the wires in the harness is a kill wire, the other is DC voltage wire for the battery. I will confirm this when I get it back together and running.

• Like 4

gwest_ca

Found the spec number Wheel Horse used. The 7 amp stator is listed in the Parts Tree ipl also.

TVM 220 in LT-1032 SS.jpg

Gregor

I have tried before to find a conversion chart for switching Champion plugs to NGK, but I never have. I have a Champion RJ17LM. I want an NGK something. Every time I ask the parts guy at the farm store, he gives me one and says, " I think this will work." I don't want someone to think, I want them to know.

• Like 1

NGK BR4-LM    stock number 4133

Gregor

Yeah I found that out. Thanks  If anyone is interested.............

Cross reference chart

• Thanks 1

Gregor

Cleaned and installed a carb kit, new plug and filters.The motor surges quite a bit. I am going to have to figure that out. I know I didn't mess up any carb setting, as there are none. Nothing to adjust, except low idle screw.

As you can see, I got a little creative with the plumbing. Added a by-pass line. I clamped it off for a bit while it was running, and the motor loaded up. The pump says 4 psi max, maybe that's too much. IDK

Any suggestions on the surging?

20210111_103214.jpg

ebinmaine

I'm assuming you mean that the governor is in a constant hunting mode. 

What do you have the governor lever connected to?

I'm not by a long shot an expert on this but it occurs to me that maybe there could have been other external things involved with the governor and throttle system that you don't have?

And/or is the governor in adjustment?

Gregor

Yes the governor is constantly hunting. If I give i t about half choke, it smooths out. It's starving,  I took pics of everything before I took the carb off (I'm learning) I reassembled the same. I have the carb off, cleaning it again. After all, you can't get a carb too clean

• Like 1

Achto

4psi from the fuel pump does seem high, I would think that around 1.5 would be better.

Gregor

It might be that I just need to wait until I can get a definite gravity flow fuel delivery system. Messing with this pump, and a by-pass line, I might  just be shooting myself in the foot. :confusion-shrug:

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I've had carbs in the past needed to be cleaned by my inexperienced self 3 or 4 times. 

Lately I've been doing better. 

The half choke thing.... That's a hint for sure. 

Gregor

I think I found the problem. See the little screw the arrow is pointing to? No? That's because it's not there! Where is it? IDK988981390_20210111_120828(2).jpg.98856dbf635ef001ed5c2c9af5eed4fc.jpgI am going screw hunting.

Edited by Gregor

gwest_ca

Sealed metering screw?

TVM220 carb.jpg

Gregor

Yep, one of those I think. To tell you the truth, I don't think the screw was there when I got the motor. That hole was full of dirt.

271731801_20210110_181253(2).jpg.3c1a71e8b4a524f945e545c136fe1c1a.jpg

Handy Don

k

53 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Yep, one of those I think. To tell you the truth, I don't think the screw was there when I got the motor. That hole was full of dirt.

Eureka!

Gregor

I have it back together........ sort-a.  Between the Tecumsehs, .Kohlers, and Lawn Boys, I have enough carburetors around here to sink a small ship. I figured one of them had a screw that would at least thread into the hole. I found one. I ground off the tip, so as not to cause any damage, and screwed it in just far enough to plug up the hole. As you an imagine, It doesn't run great, but it doesn't surge either. I was afraid I was going to have to order the whole carb, but I was able to order just the "Idle Restrictor Screw" as Partstree calls it. I hooked up my digital tach, and this motor also idles at about 3800 RPM. I think I got a dud. We'll see when the new idiot proof tach gets here.

I am not getting any voltage from the wire I believe to be the charging wire. That might be why this motor was taken out of service. I think my small engine tells me anything that comes to his mind. Anyway, it's something I will have to investigate further.