Raposo

B80 electrical help

Raposo

Hey guys, the wiring on my 1974 B80 was really bad with shorts and melted connectors all over. I decided to rewire it. I used the below wiring diagram. Now I think I have everything correct as I have checked it over several times. The questions I had were these:

Before the rewire, I had a dead tractor. Nothing happened when I turned the key, if I moved the wires around under the dash tower I could get it to start. Once it started, it ran beautifully.

I was hoping once I rewired it I would have solved my issue, but it doesn’t appear to be fixed. After rewiring it, it’s still dead when I turn the key.

I took a picture of the only reused part I had from the original wiring, I’m assuming this is a “PTO switch” that is referenced to in the  wiring diagram? Could that be bad? If so anyone know where I can get a replacement? Anything else I should check? 

Raposo

A9AA3854-F259-4A5B-A718-292519F9DD53.jpeg

49DFEC27-60DE-4185-A149-5E4B0196502D.jpeg

Raposo

And a picture of the tractor! 

1421B46F-9AF5-4B19-8CC2-89364B6F82BA.jpeg

• Excellent 2

gwest_ca

Does this look like the business end of the switch? The end terminals are on an odd angle.

Click on the picture and again on the next page to enlarge.

What is the model number and serial number of the tractor?

Garry

gwest_ca

It may also be 104680 switch. That is why I asked for the model and serial numbers

Click on the picture again

Raposo

image.jpg

Raposo

image.jpg

image.jpg

Raposo

When I push and hold that little button in with a screw driver and try to start the tractor, it turns over fine. How do I keep this thing depressed?! I feel like a newb!

Looks like i'm missing part of my switch. 

Edited by Raposo

Howie

Part of your switch is missing. Should be a toggle lever in there.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

You are missing the button and threaded mount.

https://www.partstree.com/parts/toro-104680/

Toro is very proud of that switch.

Post a wanted ad in the classifieds and try A-Z tractor https://a-ztractor.com/ for a used switch.

Your tractor is a 1975 model. Switch is different for 1974.

Garry

• Excellent 1

gwest_ca

I can not find a good picture of how your switch mounts. Here is a later model with 16 being the 104680 switch. There is a flat spring that activates the switch button. Perhaps there is something wrong there that caused the switch failure.

104680 switch on SK-486 SS.jpg

104680 switch 2 on SK-486 SS.jpg

Raposo

I might try to bypass this for the time being, this switch is expensive! I also can’t figure out how the switch mounts? 

• Excellent 1

gwest_ca

If I had to guess the switch mounts to 51 bar with nut 15.

Then 2 of 19 rivets mount the 18 spring and 51 bar to the tractor.

There is a cam on the pto lever that raises the spring to contact the push button.

I'm thinking perhaps the spring is missing and the cam broke the mount off the switch.

You can likely figure out how the wires need to be connected from the wiring diagram.

Join the red wires so the starter works.

If your seat switch works (operator in the seat) it will power the ignition without the pto switch.

Garry

Tractor 1975 B-80 4spd B-100 Auto OM Wiring.jpg

• Excellent 1

Handy Don
37 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

it will power the ignition without the pto switch

This lets the tractor start with the PTO engaged and it leaves the tractor running when you get off the seat while the PTO is engaged. 

For testing, ok, but running a tractor this way with a PTO-powered implement attached is something I would never do.

gwest_ca
7 hours ago, Handy Don said:

This lets the tractor start with the PTO engaged and it leaves the tractor running when you get off the seat while the PTO is engaged. 

For testing, ok, but running a tractor this way with a PTO-powered implement attached is something I would never do.

The way this one works is the operator must be in the seat to power the ignition if the pto switch is removed.

Raposo

Not saying I’ll leave it like this but I’d like to get it running so I cab move it around. This tractor will never see mowing duty 

• Like 2

gwest_ca

Here is a more realistic price and believe they have a flat rate shipping fee so good time to stock up on other needs.

https://www.psep1.biz/arinet.asp#/s/TO/01-16KH01%2C_SK-486_8-Speed_Garden_Tractor%2C_1982/104680/1/

If you can post a picture of the switch area perhaps someone can tell us what else is required.

Garry

• Excellent 2

Raposo
7 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Here is a more realistic price and believe they have a flat rate shipping fee so good time to stock up on other needs.

https://www.psep1.biz/arinet.asp#/s/TO/01-16KH01%2C_SK-486_8-Speed_Garden_Tractor%2C_1982/104680/1/

If you can post a picture of the switch area perhaps someone can tell us what else is required.

Garry

Awesome! I'll get one tonight, I'm curious myself. My other B80 have the ball style switch at the PTO lever itself which seems much more reliable. 

I have a bolt threaded into my switch to hold it down, I plan on putting the tractor back together tonight and confirming it starts and runs no issues, once I know that I can order a new switch and get it installed!

Thanks for the help you guys! I will keep everyone posted!