Sparky180

Understanding fluid transfer in a D180

Sparky180

Last fall I bought a D180 that has been in a barn for 10 plus years. The previous owner believes there is a broken bolt on the bull gear and the axle seals leak, therefore, there is no fluid in the transaxle. Im currently taking it apart to have a look at the damage and with that said Im unfamiliar with hydraulic systems and am assuming that I have to get the transaxle buttoned up and tight and full of fluid before I can even begin to try and start the engine? Dumb question I know but the charger pump would be running dry in that scenario wouldn't it - or is there a valve or clutch that bypasses the charger until needed? Even without actuating the lift cylinders or engaging movement? It appears to be a complete loop system and the transaxle is the main "reservoir"? Was going to try to work on the engine to get running while waiting on parts but I think if what I described is correct I can't yet? Also with no fluids left in the system how do I know what type he ran in it previously? I guess I would need to purge the entire system and start over.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Absolutely do not operate the engine with out a full load of Fluid in the hydro/transaxle.  if you want to play with the engine you will have to separate it from the pump, which means unbolting it from the frame making it kinda hard to run it even then....

• Thanks 1

oliver2-44
2 hours ago, Sparky180 said:

Also with no fluids left in the systemt bypasses the how do I know what type he ran in it previously?

when you open it up there may be a tiny bit of fluid left in the transaxle.  If there's none there, you can probable disconnect a hose (somewhere semi-easy to get to) maybe to the rear lift cylinder if it has a 3 point, or the lift under the tractor and find a little fluid there.  Hope you post a thread as you work on it, lots of friendly help here.  Good luck.

• Thanks 1

stevasaurus

The oil is either red (ATF) or brown (10w-30).  Check your manual...I no nothing about "Ds".  :confusion-confused:

Sparky180

Once I am ready to fill it is there a description or process to follow before starting the tractor? As in how to prime or bleed to get fluid into the lines or pump before starting or do you just fill the transaxle and check and fill a few times after running a few seconds? Does it self prime?

pfrederi

Mine self primes, but, it didn't sit for 10 years.  In your case I would fill the rearend then open the plug (yellow circle) on the pump and pour in what ever fluid you are using. ATF or motor oil

InkedIMG_3376_LI.jpg

• Excellent 1