WheelhorseBob

6105 seals

WheelhorseBob

Anyone have a trick to installing these crumby seals? I have installed axle bearings, input bearing, brake shaft bearing, axle and break shaft seals. The input shaft seal is becoming a real pita. I've already ruined two because it is so flimsy and nothing like the original. BTW i'm using SKF seals, is there a better option? 

ebinmaine

I try to use one of the old bearings as a driver. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Or a deep socket that's just larger than the shaft...

WheelhorseBob

The metal outside edge is so flimsy it catches and distorts. I've installed a lot of seals but nothing as bad as these. The original seal is nothing like these, much stronger design.  

ebinmaine
19 minutes ago, WheelhorseBob said:

The metal outside edge is so flimsy it catches and distorts. I've installed a lot of seals but nothing as bad as these. The original seal is nothing like these, much stronger design.  

Any way you can get a wee little piece of sandpaper in there and set a chamfer to the lip?

• Like 1

Maxwell-8
42 minutes ago, WheelhorseBob said:

SKF seals

Is a good brand is far as we now here.

I guess qualitysavings has gotten into everything and everywhere.:crying-blue:

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 1

ri702bill

I will take the liberty to digress away from the original topic and add my less than humble opinion on Cost Reductions. I worked 14 years for a Tier 1 Automotive OEM, and cost reducing was a way of life. We each had a personal annual goal to achieve that would be brought up during annual performance reviews. I always shied away from buying a car during its first model year of the production run. I now realize that most if not all of the "Big 3" require suppliers to reduce the cost of what finished part they supply per year for the duration of the contract (sometimes up to 10%!!) All that is negotiated into the contract. I have seen a component part get cost reduced by as little as 1/10th of a penny - but at a million or more of that part per year it adds up.

Now I feel better ..........

Bill

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

stevasaurus

WheelhorseBob

Well my transmission is back together and everything is functioning perfectly. I reinstalled the old seal on the input shaft for now but ill look for an alternative to the SKF seal. BTW SKF is quality in my experience. Not sure why this particular seal is so bad but it is. I'd like to find one that resembles an original. The original has a thick metal top (1/32") and rubber sides. Nice design. The SKF is a traditional design but the metal sides are as strong as tin foil. This was a fun project and made easier by VinsRj on YouTube! Thanks Vin!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1