seven

Wheelhorse snowmobile

seven

I ran across a 609 safari sled it's sitting there ready for auction . Looks pretty rough from the picture but was thinking about going to take a look anyway. Just wondering if anyone wants to comment . I know absolutely nothing about them thought it might be cool thou?

ebinmaine

Pullstart

To ride?  Stories say just find a big brick and try to push it through the snow, it’ll be more fun.

As a collection piece?  Probably pretty cool to have!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ed Kennell

Buy it, then decide.      Restore it or yard art it.

• Like 1

Stepney

609?
Maybe a 309 Kohler single? WH never offered a 609. ..Such power would be a nightmare in a machine like that.

They were originally called the SnoFlite, WH bought them out somewhere around 1970 or so. The machine was, frankly ... not the best. They came in a wide and a narrow track model. I've operated both.

Parts are scarce, if I were to own one I would opt for the narrow model .. at least standardized semi modern running gear could be implemented, if/when the track fails. Wide tracks are far more difficult to adapt, being they were a 20" wide frame.. nice stability for the period, but nothing runs a track like that anymore. 

Heavy, poor maneuverability .. even compared to other sleds of her day. As a weekend warrior relic, sure. To press into service as a daily sled again.. that would take a lot of brass. 

Not much more to note I suppose. Built like a tank, just laid out .. poorly. 

• Like 2

C-85

Starting in the 60s my family became a Ski-doo dealer and during that time we had all kinds of used sleds, including a couple of W/H ones.  I rode just about every used one we got in.  Back in the late 60s and early 70s just about everyone made snowmobiles!  We had all 3 outboard snow machines (Evinrude Bobcat, Johnson Skihorse, Mercury Snotwister), a Sno-Pony, a Fox Trac, Polaris's, Arctic Cats, Skiroules, a Ski-dadler, a Auolette, Sno-Jets, and Moto-Skis, which we became a dealer of in 1970.  We were also a Ariens dealer, so we had the Ariens Arrow snowmobiles, and they weren't to bad, but we still called them the Ariens 'Error.'  I remember the W/H's and I think I remember them as having 20hp Sachs engines.  The biggest thing I can remember is that that their tracks were nearly smooth, so they didn't have much traction and easily got stuck.  I don't think I'd buy one to ride, but I'd love to have one as a conversation piece!  Of all the snowmobiles I rode in my way younger days, I think the Johnson Skihorse was the worst, but the W/H ones were a close second!  I have always liked Ski-doos, but back then I think the Moto Ski's were the best and ruggedest, Moto Ski, we're tougher 7 ways!

C-85

• Like 1

Stepney

I put about 3500 miles on a 1968 MotoSki Zephyr, 300 Hirth.. sled was about bombproof.

The WH offered Kohler single and twin, 309 and 399, and I think there was indeed a flavor of Sachs, and maybe .. a JLO? Need to dig up my books. 

I too had a SkiHorse and a Skeeter, both were 16hp OMC 362 engines. Massive starter. Very loud.. very reliable, which was a pity, because they drove so terribly. But they always started, with that Bendix float carb right out of a garden tractor. No Tillotson woes for them haha. Thing just ran and ran..

Had about every year of Doo single track bogie from 64-78. Olympique, Elan, Chalet, Chateau..

Good old days. 

Recently got involved with a Skioule RTX. 

Remember the Raider 44tt twin track bucket seater?

• Like 1

C-85

Ah, Stepney, another Moto Ski pilot! :)

I never rode any of these old machines that many miles, so 3,500 miles is quite a feat!

I've ridden snowmobiles ever since I was able to ride at a very young age.  Currently I have an '00 Ski-doo Formula 500 L/C and a '01 Ski-doo Formula 380f and like them very much.  I haven't ridden any of the newer Ski-doos so I don't know how good they are, all I can say is these old rigs I have are Cadillacs, compared to the Ski-doo Elans, Olympics, and Moto Ski's, as well as all the other brands I grew up on!

C-85

• Like 1

tom2p

suspension / handling so much better now