HorseFixer

312-8 wiring harness

HorseFixer

Hey guy's does anyone make a 1982 312-8 replacement wiring harness? A friend of mine has an old tractor his grand dad had and is trying to get it going.  Thanks. Duke 

• Like 1

Maxwell-8

Not that i know, but can help if you make one your/him-self. 

• Excellent 1

JCM

312-8 first year was 1985 FYI. I am not aware of those aftermarket harness.

• Excellent 1

HorseFixer
38 minutes ago, JCM said:

312-8 first year was 1985 FYI. I am not aware of those aftermarket harness.

Thanks I'm not near my puker to ck wheel horse by years PO told me it was a 1982 so much for that.

• Haha 2

rmaynard

There's a couple of them used on eBay. Item #203223004657 for example.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

HorseFixer
10 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

There's a couple of them used on eBay. Item #203223004657 for example.

Thanks Bob MJ and I are in South Bend getting supplies to fill The Dukes shelves. Will investigate more when I get home will ck part #s to see if they are the same year by year.  

953 nut

You can make your own wiring harness that will get him up and running. The 312-8 had a bunch of extra wires to operate the idiot lights, if he can get by without them the harness from a 310-8 or 308-8 will work for you.

Once you know what the :wh: actually is (1982 1985 later?) let us know what is and isn't there and we can help you put it in proper order.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

HorseFixer
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

You can make your own wiring harness that will get him up and running. The 312-8 had a bunch of extra wires to operate the idiot lights, if he can get by without them the harness from a 310-8 or 308-8 will work for you.

Once you know what the :wh: actually is (1982 1985 later?) let us know what is and isn't there and we can help you put it in proper order.

Thanks Rich I will find out tomorrow the year hopefully.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  

• Like 3

peter lena

HORSEFIXER, those older harnesses are quite simple, easy to use clip on wire jumps , to verify problems . something I have replaced as a pair on similar issues , are ignition switch and voltage regulator , obvious corrosion and blown fuses are easily fixed. add more grounding  cable from engine block corner / frame battery ground rail , use serrated  washers and dielectric grease to enhance electrical connections. good luck , pete  

• Excellent 1

peter lena

HORSEFIXER, PICTURES OF BATTERY GROUND RAIL , PTO LEVER IMPROVEMENT , ENGINE MOUNT GROUND CABLE , AND BATTERY TENDER , EASY PLUG IN ,  also heim joint on pto lever , just a few ideas , pete

HorseFixer

Okay Lads The Model Of The Tractor is #  R1-16O802 which makes it an 86. It does have a bunch O Idiot lights on it that makes it more complex. See the pics I took myself.

20210105_122440.jpg

20210105_122336.jpg

20210105_122342.jpg

20210105_122347.jpg

HorseFixer
6 hours ago, peter lena said:

HORSEFIXER, PICTURES OF BATTERY GROUND RAIL , PTO LEVER IMPROVEMENT , ENGINE MOUNT GROUND CABLE , AND BATTERY TENDER , EASY PLUG IN ,  also heim joint on pto lever , just a few ideas , pete

Ill Ck it out Next Time I go out in Shop and See If I Can Finger out what year talkin about. I need to grease The PTO anyways But I Use the Best I Use Amsoil the 1st in Synthetic's!

6 hours ago, peter lena said:

peter lena

that first picture shows' the stack  of nylon washers I  added to the inside of the pto lever , right at the back corner edge of the battery , with added  silicone grease it  works with a very solid /smooth action , that also pulls it into the side if the dash console , like it should be. any questions just ask , pete 

953 nut
4 hours ago, HorseFixer said:

The Tractor is #  R1-16O802 which makes it an 86.

That would make it a 1990 model 316-8 with an Onan 16 HP engine!        :scared-eek:       Or someone bolted the fender from a '90 316-8 onto a 312.

If your friend can do without those idiot lights the job would be simplified. Is the ignition system battery powered or Magneto? What parts of the wiring system are missing or compromised?

• Excellent 1

HorseFixer
57 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

That would make it a 1990 model 316-8 with an Onan 16 HP engine!        :scared-eek:       Or someone bolted the fender from a '90 316-8 onto a 312.

If your friend can do without those idiot lights the job would be simplified. Is the ignition system battery powered or Magneto? What parts of the wiring system are missing or compromised?

I'm Sorry My Mistake, I was dealing with a Guy telling me had a harness out of a 1990 316-8. thee Correct model # is # 2112K802 and I had a Butt hole attack!  :ROTF:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

gwest_ca

Click on the picture in the link to view the wiring or download the pdf.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
10 hours ago, HorseFixer said:

I'm Sorry My Mistake, I was dealing with a Guy telling me had a harness out of a 1990 316-8. thee Correct model # is # 2112K802 and I had a Butt hole attack!  :ROTF:

That one won't work for you. That has a voltage regulator and 15 amp charging system. The 312 you are working with has a 3 amp charging system and AC for lighting.

• Excellent 1

HorseFixer
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

That one won't work for you. That has a voltage regulator and 15 amp charging system. The 312 you are working with has a 3 amp charging system and AC for lighting.

Sure aint easy. what I did when he told me it was a 1990 316-8 Is I ran it thru wheel horse by years and looked at thye Parts List and number and found partb #'s doesn't match a 312-8 thats how I screwed the pooch and got numbers all messed up.  :ranting:

• Like 1

Lee1977
On 1/7/2021 at 7:29 AM, 953 nut said:

The 310's had a 3 amp charging system. All the 312's i have seen original had the 15 amp charging system and the test lights. 

953 nut
1 hour ago, Lee1977 said:

The 310's had a 3 amp charging system. All the 312's i have seen original had the 15 amp charging system and the test lights. 

Not all 310s have the 3 amp charging system, need to check the diagram for the year you are considering.

MLS

Starting to research finding a wiring harness for a 312-8 tractor ID #2112K805

Came across this old thread about this subject so I am reaching out to educate myself.

I found one on ebay for a 414-8  part # 111832 .

Could this work ?

I purchased my wheel horse new in 1988.  Keep blowing fuses and  the wiring has seen better days.

Please Advise.

Thanks,

Mike

953 nut

:WRS:

Your 312-8 is a 1988 model and if the wiring harness was from 1987 or 1988  416-8 it would be a direct replacement. looking at the 414-8 wiring next to the 312/416 wiring I don't notice any difference, you be the judge.  Not knowing what year the 414 wiring is from leaves some doubt in my mind because changes were made to wiring in later years.

11 hours ago, MLS said:

Keep blowing fuses and  the wiring has seen better days

I would suggest you take a look at the wiring diagram for the 312 and see what components are beyond the fuses and check the wiring for problems before considering a harness replacement.