Charbs152

48 Inch Deck (05-48MS01) Rebuild/Restore - Complete

Turftech

Looks like you dedicated time and hard work to save this deck. Good job! Enjoy!

• Like 1

rjg854

Great job on the deck :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Charbs152
2 hours ago, Turftech said:

Looks like you dedicated time and hard work to save this deck. Good job! Enjoy!

1 hour ago, rjg854 said:

Great job on the deck :handgestures-thumbupright:

Thank you both. 

Row Cropper

Nice job on the deck!  Curious what you did to the underside of the deck, that is the most vulnerable area.

Charbs152
30 minutes ago, Row Cropper said:

Nice job on the deck!  Curious what you did to the underside of the deck, that is the most vulnerable area.

Thanks! I just primed and painted it 

Edited by Charbs152

briankd

i have the same deck i need to restore . my brackets that attatch deck to tractor the holes all walered out . have to weld them up and ream them out back to original . the P.O. had a new deck shell put on before i bought mine . the shell like new but the wheels and brackets wore out .

you done a great job on this one 

Charbs152
1 hour ago, briankd said:

i have the same deck i need to restore . my brackets that attatch deck to tractor the holes all walered out . have to weld them up and ream them out back to original . the P.O. had a new deck shell put on before i bought mine . the shell like new but the wheels and brackets wore out .

you done a great job on this one 

Thank you. 

let me know if you have any questions or need help sourcing parts..  the wheels And rollers are available new...FYI..

I hear the holes

in the brackets reaming out is a common issue. Mine aren’t too bad at all fortunately 

ronhatch

Congratulations on saving a deck and a job well done.  It's not a lot of fun, I know, but it is rewarding. Question; is the double middle pulley stock? It looks like the top driven pulley is pretty small for a 48" deck which would speed up the blades and give you a better cut. :handgestures-thumbupright: On my older 42" deck, both upper and low pulleys are the same size, about 5". I've been trying to find a double pulley with a 4" top pulley to speed up my deck, but with a double 'D' bore is next to impossible.  :handgestures-thumbdown:

Charbs152
1 hour ago, ronhatch said:

Congratulations on saving a deck and a job well done.  It's not a lot of fun, I know, but it is rewarding. Question; is the double middle pulley stock? It looks like the top driven pulley is pretty small for a 48" deck which would speed up the blades and give you a better cut. :handgestures-thumbupright: On my older 42" deck, both upper and low pulleys are the same size, about 5". I've been trying to find a double pulley with a 4" top pulley to speed up my deck, but with a double 'D' bore is next to impossible.  :handgestures-thumbdown:

thanks for the kind words. 

I don’t think my pulley is stock but that’s what it came with. I tried the deck once before I tore it down and it seemed to work fine. I didn’t realize at the time the pulley wasn’t stock so I didn’t pay much attention to how it might impact it.

I’ll keep an eye on it this season.

what’s a double D bore?

my middle and left spindles are the metric flavor...must have been replaced at one point...maybe the metric is easier to find the pulley you’re looking for?

the right spindle is the standard and original to the deck flavor 

and I had fun! I enjoy tinkering and working on things. Keeps me busy. 👍

Edited by Charbs152

roy

Very nice job -  in the middle of same project, mine deck # 0548MS05, looks almost identical. My machine is the 418-A

I think my deck is a 48", I just went out to measure it & realized its away getting welded up! (I;m out of Mig gas) & trying to buy it mid lockdown here in Ontario, I;m sure be easier to pic up a pound of Heroin!

Tell me, your spindles/bearings- Did you read a post here by a knowledgeable fella, (can't locate it right now) in regards to pulling the seals off the bottom of the top bearing & the top of the bottom bearing to allow grease to enter the bearings? 

I bought the Lucas red & tacky grease, which is recommended by many, but, other than greasing bearings before install, I can't see how more grease is going to enter the bearings when assembled, especially the top bearing. 

I will have to find that post & ask the fellow who posted it, but,  I thought I'd ask you as I;m doing the same rebuild.

Again, get job oyu've done,  I;m doing mine in POR-15 first then using the old standby, Rustoleum Red.

Cheers

Roger- Ontario, Canada

PS- Wheels, you have a source for the deck wheels?

Edited by roy

Charbs152
15 minutes ago, roy said:

Very nice job -  in the middle of same project, mine deck # 0548MS05, looks almost identical. My machine is the 418-A

I think my deck is a 48", I just went out to measure it & realized its away getting welded up! (I;m out of Mig gas) & trying to buy it mid lockdown here in Ontario, I;m sure be easier to pic up a pound of Heroin!

Tell me, your spindles/bearings- Did you read a post here by a knowledgeable fella, (can't locate it right now) in regards to pulling the seals off the bottom of the top bearing & the top of the bottom bearing to allow grease to enter the bearings? 

I bought the Lucas red & tacky grease, which is recommended by many, but, other than greasing bearings before install, I can't see how more grease is going to enter the bearings when assembled, especially the top bearing. 

I will have to find that post & ask the fellow who posted it, but,  I thought I'd ask you as I;m doing the same rebuild.

Again, get job oyu've done,  I;m doing mine in POR-15 first then using the old standby, Rustoleum Red.

Cheers

Roger- Ontario, Canada

hi yes the 0548ms05 deck is a 48 inch deck.  I have read through all of those threads as well.  lots of great info there

for my spindles i took one seal off of each bearing so that they are able to be greased.  I left the outer seals on both bearings and when i put the spindles together i packed the entire spindle cavity with Lucas Red n Tacky grease...  I think the grease gets in the top bearing by having the spindle cavity packed with grease...also the spinning shaft and heat generated might be enough to fling grease up on the top bearing...  You can leave the bearings both sealed if you want.  If you go the sealed route i would still take the seals off and pack each bearing with Lucas red and tacky....  seals or no seals, both methods work and i think wheel horse supports either method...

Just make sure you know what spindles you have...  2 of mine are replacements (with newer style toro/WH parts) and the shafts and bearings are metric vs the SAE of the older ones.. I am not sure what yours has but since its newer than mine, you could very well have metric spindles

Fell free to ask any questions, i'd be more than happy to help out!

Edited by Charbs152

roy

Yep, all 3 of mine are Metric, I;ve just got parts I needed from Brian Badman at K & B parts, 2 pulleys, one shaft (one of the side shafts & its pulley were littleraly welded together, no saving em) & 6 pac of bearings.

Tell me, did you buy all new deck hardware? I;ve been trying to refurbish a lot of the nuts & bolts but some, like the 4 that hold, (no idea what to call em) The 2 flat arms that bend down behind the back of the deck & mount to 2 plates, with 4 collar bolts to deck, mine bolts/nuts are just so corroded I need to replace them at least.

I don't know what its like shopping where you are but, here in Ontario, Canada, one has to email in your order & wait until the company emails you, then go stand at the door of the business, along with 10 to 30 other shoppers & wait your turn, sales person then  opens the front door a crack, takes your debit card & slips a bag to you all the while your hoping that you get what you asked for! And, if your order is wrong, Sorry, no returns till this pandemic is all over!

Sorry, bout the rant, but getting quite frustrated!  If you have a source for deck hardware, do let me know.

There is a Toro/Wheel horse dealer not far from me, but, I need an image of the 418-A deck to put a number/size to various bolts/nuts I; like to replace.

Man, your deck is awesome, you have some serious painting skills!

cheers

Roger -Mt.Albert, Ontario

Charbs152
1 hour ago, roy said:

Yep, all 3 of mine are Metric, I;ve just got parts I needed from Brian Badman at K & B parts, 2 pulleys, one shaft (one of the side shafts & its pulley were littleraly welded together, no saving em) & 6 pac of bearings.

Tell me, did you buy all new deck hardware? I;ve been trying to refurbish a lot of the nuts & bolts but some, like the 4 that hold, (no idea what to call em) The 2 flat arms that bend down behind the back of the deck & mount to 2 plates, with 4 collar bolts to deck, mine bolts/nuts are just so corroded I need to replace them at least.

I don't know what its like shopping where you are but, here in Ontario, Canada, one has to email in your order & wait until the company emails you, then go stand at the door of the business, along with 10 to 30 other shoppers & wait your turn, sales person then  opens the front door a crack, takes your debit card & slips a bag to you all the while your hoping that you get what you asked for! And, if your order is wrong, Sorry, no returns till this pandemic is all over!

Sorry, bout the rant, but getting quite frustrated!  If you have a source for deck hardware, do let me know.

There is a Toro/Wheel horse dealer not far from me, but, I need an image of the 418-A deck to put a number/size to various bolts/nuts I; like to replace.

Man, your deck is awesome, you have some serious painting skills!

cheers

Roger -Mt.Albert, Ontario

Thats a bummer about getting hardware where you're at!  I sourced all my hardware at a couple local hardware stores. I got stainless where i could.

What i did was keep the hardware with the parts it belonged to.  Then i labeled each and wrote the quantity needed for every single nut, bolt, washer etc...  I then took them all to the hardware store and matched them all up and got whatever quantity i needed.  Took me quite a while to do but it was worth it.  Its all pretty standard hardware.. Mostly carriage bolts, and various nuts and washers

For the paint, I cleaned the metal up real well, washed it all down with soap and water.... used rustoleum primer, regal red and then clear coat...  The clear coat actually bubbled a few times and the paint doesn't look so nice close up even though i sanded it down and repainted it... but its good enough.  most of it was the underside anyways which will be sandblasted by the dirt when im mowing anyways.

Edit:  parts list is here

Edited by Charbs152