Bob59

Transmission

Bob59

On my 310-8 where the frame connects to the transmission, the transmission bolt holes are stripped. How do I fix this?

• Like 1

wallfish

Those thread holes are deep. If they aren't ruined all the way through you could run a 3/8 - 16 tap through the threads and use a longer bolt with more threads on it.

If they are, then drill the holes bigger and go with a 7/16 - 14 tap for new threads and new bigger bolts. Lots of info online for the drill bit size and where to buy the tap

• Like 2

Bob59

Thanks very much for the info

roadapples

If John's advice works you may want to change to studs in the trany so you don't have to remove them again.

I've done this on many things, like in carburetor were the filter backing plate fastens... Then I use nylock nuts...

Edited by roadapples
  • Like 2

Jeff-C175

Maybe consider Heli-Coil?

Maxwell-8
18 hours ago, Bob59 said:

On my 310-8 where the frame connects to the transmission, the transmission bolt holes are stripped. How do I fix this?

• :text-welcomeconfetti:to:rs:That's not a fun problem. 
  • I don't know if you did it, but start treading every bolt in by hand, before using in impact. 
  • Like 2

RandyLittrell

e158a19651b857474b4c6a1301b1afad.jpg

• Like 1

peter lena

MAXWELL-8 , if you use a tap, make sure you the "  bottom "  or last tap , and also use a lot of aerosol spray lubricant to increase cutting action and to flush out the thread area . I would also be very careful with an impact on those bolts , thinking  to feel and sense a good thread response , rather then just to impact them in , you could loose everything that you might have gained , pete   

• Like 2

Maxwell-8
1 hour ago, peter lena said:

MAXWELL-8 , if you use a tap, make sure you the "  bottom "  or last tap , and also use a lot of aerosol spray lubricant to increase cutting action and to flush out the thread area . I would also be very careful with an impact on those bolts , thinking  to feel and sense a good thread response , rather then just to impact them in , you could loose everything that you might have gained , pete   

@Bob59, he is having the problem

But thanks for your respond, i also stay away with impact on everything that's old and valuable

• Like 1

stevasaurus

You really need to be carefull getting longer bolts.  The 2 bottom bolts go into what is called a "blind" hole.  Drilling out to use 7/16" bolts is the best way to go.  You would need the "Blind Hole" drill and tap for those bottom holes.  The top holes could also be blind...I am not sure, but you can hit things inside the transmission if you use bolts that are too long.  Measure the depth of the holes 1st and then proceed accordingly.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

Bob59
23 hours ago, roadapples said:

If John's advice works you may want to change to studs in the trany so you don't have to remove them again.

I've done this on many things, like in carburetor were the filter backing plate fastens... Then I use nylon nuts...

Thanks for the info

• Like 2

roadapples
1 hour ago, Bob59 said:

Thanks for the info

That was supposed to be nylock nuts, not nylon 

• Like 1