RICH FRO

How to drain Tranny oil ?

RICH FRO

Hi 

I'm new to this site and will appreciate any information you can give me. 

I have a 1977 C-160 8 speed and I am looking to change the tranny oil. I see the fill hole but I don't see a drain plug . How do I drain the tranny oil ? How much will it take to refill it and with which oil ?

Thanks for any info. 

Rich 

edit::

Rich, I took the liberty to erase your personal information from this post.  You should not post that kind of information.  The members will answer you here and if they want to talk with you on the phone...I suggest you exchange that information with Personnel Messages.  Stevasaurus

• Like 2

pfrederi

it is a 1/4" hex (allen type) plug on the bottom.  maybe packed with crud.  Raise front of tractor to help better drain the oil.

InkedIMG_0217_LI.jpg

• Like 3

peter lena

RICH FRO, excellent picture from PFREDERI ABOVE !  THE CAPACITY IS 2 QTS , 75-90 wt  or in that range , question is your shifter boot torn or damaged ? replace it , that is also the main entry spot for water entry. is the oil  a milky color ? that's water / oil mix . if the oil is milky , it would be good to flush it out with kerosene or atf fluid , using some road time if possible to increase the flushing action. also while on the road use every gear and hi/lo range changes to improve the flushing and ensure easy gear changes' I   would put some time on the flush oil. like hours , till that oil looks dirty , before going to the regular gear oil . another thing is to LUBRICATE  every movement point on your clutch linkage , to ensure smooth / easy shifting. let us know how you make out , pete  

RICH FRO

You were right , packed with crud .

I got it now . 

Thanks a lot ! !

Rich 

• Like 2

RICH FRO

Yeah its the first time I have changed it and is very milky . Where would be a good place to locate a shifter boot ?

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Rich, I edited your post above with your personnel information.  While this is a protected site and the members are excellent, you should guard your information from the main page.

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

stevasaurus

Boots are available from your TORO dealer...and I think one of our venders has them. wheel horse parts and more..

• Like 1

RICH FRO

Thanks again ! 

Great Site 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

rmaynard
15 hours ago, RICH FRO said:

Where would be a good place to locate a shifter boot?

I have some. Problem is, with the USPS taking weeks to get the mail through lately, I doubt you would have it until sometime in January.

Message me if you're interested.

Bob

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 2

RICH FRO

Yeah the boot is shot . I can use one . How do I message you to get your info ? 

How do you get it on the shaft ? Unscrew the shifter knob and slide it down ?

oldlineman

Yes unscrew the knob and slide it in place.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

rubber or leather wrapped around that ball with a channel locks will keep marks from the shifter knob.

Maynard will send you a PM Rich.

Rich...a neat trick to get a hold of members...   @rmaynard   use the @ and their handle.  They will get a signal that they need to look at something.  It rings the bell at the top of the page.

• Like 1

WHX??

Sounds like the guys have got you covered on your transmission so I'll just :WRS:

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, RICH FRO said:

. How do I message you to get your info ? 

Click on the envelope just left  of your name at the top of the home page.

Click compose new and fill in highlighted boxes.

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:

peter lena

RICH FRO,  USE A RAZOR BLADE TO CUT OFF THE OLD BOOT ,and use a , silicone grease , like dielectric grease, on the shaft for easy ,smooth installation, pete 

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

71_Bronco

As others have stated, welcome to the forum!  :text-welcomeconfetti:

I have bought parts from rmaynard before, top notch vendor, and will have everything you need (and then some).

Also, while you are in the shifter boot area, I'd also suggest checking the set-screw that holds in the shifter. Should be a dog-point screw with a jam nut outside the transmission case. Wouldnt want to have the shifter come out while you are trying to drive around.

• Like 2