Jeff-C175

KT-17 Valve Adjustment

Jeff-C175

I've looked through the service manual for the KT-17 and didn't see anything about adjustment of the valves.  How can that be?

I searched here and went through a number of pages and didn't see anything.

But I'm blind in one eye and can't see out the other.

So... I'm going to ask the gurus.

It's a 40 year old Series I that generally still runs VERY well.

But it's high time the valve lash is checked.

Any help on this out there ?

Point me to a "how to" or something?

Thanks all y'all!

Edited by Jeff-C175

pfrederi

There is no valve adjustment.  Too tight grind a bit off (a very little bit I might add) too loose replace...

Jeff-C175
14 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

There is no valve adjustment.  Too tight grind a bit off (a very little bit I might add) too loose replace...

Thank you sir.

I guess my next question is how to check?

If found to require grinding how much of the engine needs to come apart?

pfrederi

Look at the engine manual here and put a feeler gauge in between the tappet and the valve.  Note if they are tight it only takes a tiny bit of grinding to adjust..  i have a KT-17 with a nice tap because i too off too much.

Jeff-C175
10 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Look at the engine manual here and put a feeler gauge in between the tappet and the valve.  Note if they are tight it only takes a tiny bit of grinding to adjust..  i have a KT-17 with a nice tap because i too off too much.

Thanks again, I've got that manual already, that's what I've been looking at.

I'll look again.

Looking at the engine, I don't even see the access covers!

pfrederi

Top of the engine both sides...

Jeff-C175
21 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Top of the engine both sides...

I see them now, one has the breather tube on it.

Looks like all the tins need to come off to access the covers.

Wonder if gaskets are still available... Or if I have to make them.  Time to google!

Thank you my friend!

Jeff-C175

Found full gasket set, but not the rectangular cover gaskets individually but those should be easy to make... Or just use Honda Bond.

[edit: ereplacements has them for 5.67]

Edited by Jeff-C175

JohnD

Have you checked your compression?  My thought is that if your compression is still good your valves are still in good shape.  Just do it with the engine hot and the throttle wide open, not like I did (that's another thread).  I need to recheck mine. 

After I put new plugs in I found that when I have a high load on my KT-17 I get a bit of a growl, so I think the exhaust valve might be starting to leak.  You've got a good lead on my summer project! 

This is a great forum.  The wealth of knowledge from these guys is awesome! 

Jeff-C175
6 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Have you checked your compression?  My thought is that if your compression is still good your valves are still in good shape.  Just do it with the engine hot and the throttle wide open, not like I did (that's another thread).  I need to recheck mine. 

After I put new plugs in I found that when I have a high load on my KT-17 I get a bit of a growl, so I think the exhaust valve might be starting to leak.  You've got a good lead on my summer project! 

This is a great forum.  The wealth of knowledge from these guys is awesome! 

Hi John,  not checked compression in years.  (I've had this machine for over 20 years)

It runs fine and I would like to keep it that way so looking to do some PM in between plowing and mowing seasons.  Service manual says to check clearance every 500 hours and I know it's got way more than that on it!