Maxwell-8

312-8 Lock or not

Maxwell-8
22 hours ago, pullstart said:

Something you might consider too, is a smaller rear pulley if you can find one.  It’ll increase wheel speed and keep those tires cleaned out.

What would be a safe top speed for an 8 speed? If you pulley swap a Tecumseh alloy trans they wear out really fast. Is this also the case with 8speeds?

Thanks!

ebinmaine

Not sure I could really offer a number. 

Stock top speed is 6 or 7 mph.  Given care, maybe double that?

Biggest issue I think is make sure to NEVER shift in motion. 

Choose a gear before movement. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

There are people who have built hot rods that go 30+ mph, over 4 times the stock speed.  Like EB said, don’t shift in motion (and of course keep 1.5-2 quarts of good lube inside it) and you’ll be just fine.

• Like 2

Zeek

@Maxwell-8 You certainly live in some beautiful country over there with some very interesting old architecture! That prompted me to look at Craigslist Belgium. I see there isn't much for sale. What other things do you use over there to buy/sell on the internet? Craigslist/eBay and Facebook Marketplace are the dominant domains here (unfortunately - I hate FB except for that feature).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maxwell-8
56 minutes ago, Zeek said:

@Maxwell-8 You certainly live in some beautiful country over there with some very interesting old architecture! That prompted me to look at Craigslist Belgium. I see there isn't much for sale. What other things do you use over there to buy/sell on the internet? Craigslist/eBay and Facebook Marketplace are the dominant domains here (unfortunately - I hate FB except for that feature).

We use " 2dehands.be" https://www.2dehands.be/ 

Riding lawnmowers: https://www.2dehands.be/q/zitmaaier/

We have an old history that is for sure.

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 3

Maxwell-8

Edited by Maxwell-8
no text

Maxwell-8
51 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Not sure I could really offer a number. 

Stock top speed is 6 or 7 mph.  Given care, maybe double that?

Biggest issue I think is make sure to NEVER shift in motion. 

Choose a gear before movement. 

I was already questioning that, wasn't sure if it was on all shifts or only down shifts. Thanks!

• Like 1

Maxwell-8
46 minutes ago, pullstart said:

There are people who have built hot rods that go 30+ mph, over 4 times the stock speed.  Like EB said, don’t shift in motion (and of course keep 1.5-2 quarts of good lube inside it) and you’ll be just fine.

It makes sense, cause they are straitcut gears, and if you have to choose your gear, the limit i would assume is what you feel comfortable with sending through your clutch system. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
56 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

It makes sense, cause they are straitcut gears, and if you have to choose your gear, the limit i would assume is what you feel comfortable with sending through your clutch system. 

With a modified tractor - using 3rd gear - you'll likely want to let out the clutch at idle. Get rolling a few feet then accelerate. 

Our acreage is so rough we almost never even use 3rd gear. Forest crawling is 2nd at 3/4 throttle. Plowing snow is also second with throttle at about 3300 RPM. 

• Thanks 1

mike67

I have an '87 418-8 with Carlisle x-trac 16x6.50-8 on the front, Kenda Bear Claw 25x10-12 on the rear (one inch fender lift for clearance), pulley swapped to a top speed of around 15mph, open diff for now. Goes very well anywhere I point it.  I plan on locking the diff at some point.

On YouTube, look up 'mud mowers'. Some of those guys insist on locking the diff, others not so much. Look for 'mud mowers from hell- hill climb'. A wheel horse named Stiletto is pretty impressive. (No, its not mine).

IMG_20201230_081014.jpg

IMG_20201230_080948.jpg

IMG_20201230_080826.jpg

Edited by mike67
  • Like 1