GarySeever

Best way to keep snow from sticking to a front blade

GarySeever

Just painted a pusher blade for the commando 8 and was wondering what everyone uses to keep snow from sticking to it ?

stevasaurus

I have not tried this, but some use vegetable spray...Teflon spray is another option.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

Terry M

I wonder if some of these newer high tech car waxes would help...🤔

• Like 2

oldlineman

I have use a spray product called Snow Jet with great success. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Hey thanks for bringing this up. 

Trina wanted me to share with you all that she tried using MUSHER'S WAX on a plastic snow shovel. Mushers Wax is what goes on dog's feet to protect them from cracking and cold damage.

We had a wicked nasty cement resembling sticky snow last week and it worked EXCELLENT. 

• Like 4

Pullstart

Maybe some heat tape and a long cord?

• Like 3

pfrederi

Keep the plow in an unheated space.  Then more speed when plowing....

• Like 2

wallfish
29 minutes ago, oldlineman said:

I have use a spray product called Snow Jet with great success. 

:text-yeahthat:

But you have to let it dry.

Also works great for saw blades and hole saws!!!!! We drill 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 inch holes everyday through the rim joists of houses. Used to use a big 110v mixer drill because it had the power to brute through without stopping but it could throw someone to the ground if it catches. Some of those old houses used timbers so some holes can be as deep as 10-12 inches thick. Started spraying the hole saws with snow jet and now we drill them all using just a cordless drill plus it takes half the time. Works great for any other saw blades too! Keeps'm cool and slick so they cut faster. Probably rust protected too.  I found some expensive saw blade stuff online at $28-$35 a can but thought about using the snow jet stuff instead since I had some in the shed anyway for the blower, had nothing to loose.  I'll never use a hole saw again without it now, it made that much of a difference! We even use some old hole saws now that were retired because they got slow with the big drill and thought they were dull. Good thing I never got around to throwing them out. The snow Jet runs about $10 a can but now saves $50 - $60 in new hole saws per spray can use. It actually works better for the hole saw cutting thing then it does for keeping snow from sticking to the blower. LoL

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 2

peter lena

had success with snow jet , and a marvel mystery oil rub down , on the auger blades and chute area , anything that leaves a slick finish as opposed to a dull dry paint finish , will speed up the release of thrown snow , pete

• Like 2

ebinmaine

I saw some sort of (polycarbonate??) sheet for sale the other day that attaches to the whole front of the plow blade. 

Supposedly saves plow surface and is pretty slick. 

Anyone think that's worth trying?

pfrederi

20 years of plowing here never used any coating never had an issue of build up.  Angle the plow and go faster rolls right off.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

JCM
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

Maybe some heat tape and a long cord?

Wise guy.    :ROTF:        

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
9 minutes ago, JCM said:

Hey now...

• Haha 2

oliver2-44

Here's a surefire method to keep snow from sticking anywhere, Live in Central Texas, :ychain:

Now that I've said that, we'll have the once in a 100 year blizzard!

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 4

bds1984

Fluid Film and speed. :auto-layrubber:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
22 minutes ago, JCM said:

13 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Hey now...

Izzhe wrong?

• Haha 1

Pullstart
10 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Izzhe wrong?

that was my band name in High School!

Sorry Gary...  :hide: a bit (just a wee bit) off topic...

Edited by pullstart
  • Haha 3

JCM

I have had good luck with CRC   HD Silicone spray, red can. Apply it before the storm and let it dry.I use this on the 44'' 2 Stage.   :twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

DennisThornton
5 hours ago, bds1984 said:

Fluid Film and speed. :auto-layrubber:

I'm a big fan of Fluid Film for lots of things!  I'll have to try that too.  Lanolin you know.  Nothing hi-tech. But I think underappreciated!

• Like 1

bds1984
20 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

I'm a big fan of Fluid Film for lots of things!  I'll have to try that too.  Lanolin you know.  Nothing hi-tech. But I think underappreciated!

It is great stuff and can be used on nearly everything!  I go through at least couple gallons a year on everything I apply it to.  Well worth it for rust prevention on Wheel Horse's and vehicles.  When I put on my snow tires in a few days, the underside and body/frame cavities of my car will get a healthy dose of it.

• Like 2

DennisThornton

I got curious about Snow-Jet:

I read this to say that it could be mostly solvents but could be 40% silicone.

Snow-Jet Non-Stick Spray
Material Safety Data Sheet
Petroleum distillates, hydrotreated light 64742-47-8 60-100%
Naphtha (petroleum), heavy alkylate 64741-65-7 40-70%
Poly(dimethylsiloxane) 63148-62-9 15-40%
Carbon Dioxide 124-38-9 5-10%

Polydimethylsiloxane, also known as dimethylpolysiloxane or dimethicone, belongs to a group of polymeric organosilicon compounds that are commonly referred to as silicones. PDMS is the most widely used silicon-based organic polymer due to its versatility and properties leading to many applications. Wikipedia

https://www.amazon.com/MicroLubrol-Silicone-Polydimethylsiloxane-centistokes-viscosity/dp/B00ZM36ER8

Or Super-Lube or perhaps most any silicone

I hate paying crazy prices for nothing more than ordinary stuff in an expensive and perhaps misleading label.  

• Like 3

tom2p
On 12/16/2020 at 3:01 PM, ebinmaine said:

I saw some sort of (polycarbonate??) sheet for sale the other day that attaches to the whole front of the plow blade. 

Supposedly saves plow surface and is pretty slick. 

Anyone think that's worth trying?

yepper 

damp / wet snow will stick to metal much more than a plastic / plastic-like material (like polycarbonate or abs or whatever)

that is one reason plastic 'ski skins' were popular on metal snowmobile skis - and then snowmobile skis were later constructed of the material 

( HDPE plastic , UHMW plastic etc )

the difference on wet snow is significant 

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 2

tom2p
8 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

I got curious about Snow-Jet:

I read this to say that it could be mostly solvents but could be 40% silicone.

Snow-Jet Non-Stick Spray
Material Safety Data Sheet
Petroleum distillates, hydrotreated light 64742-47-8 60-100%
Naphtha (petroleum), heavy alkylate 64741-65-7 40-70%
Poly(dimethylsiloxane) 63148-62-9 15-40%
Carbon Dioxide 124-38-9 5-10%

Polydimethylsiloxane, also known as dimethylpolysiloxane or dimethicone, belongs to a group of polymeric organosilicon compounds that are commonly referred to as silicones. PDMS is the most widely used silicon-based organic polymer due to its versatility and properties leading to many applications. Wikipedia

https://www.amazon.com/MicroLubrol-Silicone-Polydimethylsiloxane-centistokes-viscosity/dp/B00ZM36ER8

Or Super-Lube or perhaps most any silicone

I hate paying crazy prices for nothing more than ordinary stuff in an expensive and perhaps misleading label.  

keep an eye on the shelves - they often mark down stuff like this ... end of season  ... etc 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, tom2p said:

yepper 

damp / wet snow will stick to metal much more than a plastic / plastic-like material (like polycarbonate or abs or whatever)

that is one reason plastic 'ski skins' were popular on metal snowmobile skis - and then snowmobile skis were later constructed of the material 

( HDPE plastic , UHMW plastic etc )

the difference on wet snow is significant 

Been reading about the plow shields. 

Looks like there have been issues with snow/ice/salt getting behind the shield and against the plow metal. Causes corrosion. 

BUT.... Not as much as literal scraping of the entire blade by the same materials. 

Jungle site sells a kit for 50 clams that would cover 2 plows 48" or less. 

Hhhmmmmmm.......

• Like 1

tom2p
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Been reading about the plow shields. 

Looks like there have been issues with snow/ice/salt getting behind the shield and against the plow metal. Causes corrosion. 

BUT.... Not as much as literal scraping of the entire blade by the same materials. 

Jungle site sells a kit for 50 clams that would cover 2 plows 48" or less. 

Hhhmmmmmm.......

if a snowmobile with metal skis would sit for a even a short period of time on wet snow it would often 'stick' to the snow ... could observe this when operation would resume - engine would race (rpms rise) before forward motion would begin ... there is a term for this - but can not recall 

could especially observe this when temps rose above freezing and / or during foggy damp conditions or light rain etc ... instead of nice powder snow the snow was damp 

with plastic skis not an issue 

could also notice difference when doing a lot of stream crossings etc - but often those crossings were almost void of snow and the improvement was due to less friction of the plastic skis on the surface (mud, grass, rocks etc) 

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 2