Mike'sHorseBarn

LawnMaster by Moto-Mower

WHNJ701

Nice machine, that design was produced by several different manufacturers after Porter cable sold off its lawn garden division in late 1959

A good guess is 60 to 63.  I would try to put a date on the kohler.  Yours looks complete and has the belt guard on the muffler side which is a hard to find part

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Yep, built by Moto Mower. Similar to Massey Ferguson Executive and Porter Cable GT's.  The hood on each of these is different.  

Here's some moto-Mower info I've collected. it should be very close to identical for a LawnMaster  @new2horses has several.

I've seen some comments/speculation that the foot rest (which are also the brake and clutch pedals) are left over WWII aircraft foot pedals 

I have a transmission on one to overhaul, and boy do they make WH tranny's look simple. 

1140584918_motomowerchassispg1of2.jpg.2f38bd78966c79ffc663e394b40a4095.jpg653783628_motomowerchassispg2of2.jpg.18746c9d7f936ea814a205720deed4f9.jpg1534149812_motomowerdeckpg1of2.jpg.e70727b034dc8c8d38689521b3926d0b.jpg1825760644_motomowerdeckpg2of2.jpg.62f24c4bbe65d916ee54414a9ed03694.jpg1190438093_motomowermanualpg1of4.jpg.8ebea88183ce5d4147fa9537ae192f9e.jpg1258652901_motomowermanualpg2of4.jpg.c35044da7fedd84db4de5761fb14f499.jpg661770767_motomowermanualpg3of4.jpg.560d228f5a5214fed6f55e8887724305.jpg928900417_motomowermanualpg4of4.jpg.d1f2c0c88401278ec4843da09e3ccc4e.jpg1432274925_motomowertranspg1of2.jpg.7effabee04288c0045bf93162b26b692.jpg788705056_motomowertranspg2of2.jpg.1ca7306869d6b051e7125f4546a2d010.jpg

Moto-Mower_Sales_flyer_1964_mower_line.pdf

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 3

Mike'sHorseBarn

Well thanks to those pics I know where the battery is supposed to go now. Previous owner built that bracket on the back for it. Get this, he lived to be 100. Got this tonight from his estate yard sale. Sat in the corner of his garage for 20 years when he couldn't plow his snow on his own anymore. 

• Like 2
  • Heart 2

WHNJ701

Not sure if you saw it there was a great buy on a Porter cable with alot of original attachments for 350 bucks kinda between me and you in pa.  I think it finally sold.  They are fun little machines my 2 have pull start briggs, yours with kohler definitely a nicer option

Mike'sHorseBarn
6 minutes ago, jabelman said:

Not sure if you saw it there was a great buy on a Porter cable with alot of original attachments for 350 bucks kinda between me and you in pa.  I think it finally sold.  They are fun little machines my 2 have pull start briggs, yours with kohler definitely a nicer option

I missed that. I've never had a machine like this so it will be a learning experience. Definitely love anything with a kohler engine though!

• Like 1

WHNJ701

Pretty basic machines,  yours looks likes original survivor, not sure about the light.  Looks cool enough, the rear battery definitely helped with weight. You will notice driving they have very light steering, you can steer it all day with 1 finger

• Like 1

Mike'sHorseBarn
13 minutes ago, jabelman said:

Pretty basic machines,  yours looks likes original survivor, not sure about the light.  Looks cool enough, the rear battery definitely helped with weight. You will notice driving they have very light steering, you can steer it all day with 1 finger

I doubt the light is original, but I'll leave it there anyway. I'm just going to clean it up good, get it running and leave it alone.

• Like 2

wallfish
52 minutes ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

I doubt the light is original, but I'll leave it there anyway. I'm just going to clean it up good, get it running and leave it alone.

Totally agree. That's definitely a cool little machine and appears to be in very good condition.

The front of the hood pic reminds me of those 50s robots in the movies

th.jpg.9a88aac57c90cccb8f4a93b46f25768e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

WHX??
13 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

some comments/speculation that the foot rest (which are also the brake and clutch pedals) are left over WWII aircraft foot pedals 

How cool is that?!?!? 

Edited by WHX24

WHNJ701
13 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

Yep, built by Moto Mower. Similar to Massey Ferguson Executive and Porter Cable GT's.  The hood on each of these is different.  

@new2horses

I've seen some comments/speculation that the foot rest (which are also the brake and clutch pedals) are left over WWII aircraft foot pedals 

1140584918_motomowerchassispg1of2.jpg.2f38bd78966c79ffc663e394b40a4095.jpg

I highly doubt they are left over ww2 aircraft pedals, they would been cast aluminum not cast iron.  The style or maybe a modified mould, alot of 1950s marketing and design was to ww2 group.

Mike'sHorseBarn

Axle seals are leaking pretty good on this thing. Wonder if anyone has ever replaced them and knows a part #

tractornut86

The Lawn Master was a Dura-Corp built tractor not Moto Mower.  Dura  Corp built the tractors for Moto Mower, Porter Cable, Massey Ferguson, Lawn Master and I believe there were 2 other tractors also. It is odd that yours is built just same as the Porter cables. The other Lawn Masters I've seen had a pipe front axle instead of the cast axle. 

WHNJ701
2 hours ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

Axle seals are leaking pretty good on this thing. Wonder if anyone has ever replaced them and knows a part #

That's common on every single one, it's a napa

stevasaurus

My wife's Uncle gave me a Lawn Master Snow Blower way back in the late 70's.  It was probably for 50's or early 60's.  It was also made in Indiana.  It was a walk behind, but it had drive wheels.  The hubs were geared and fit on the axles.  That thing would run great in the summer or fall when you were getting ready for winter, but it would not start when it was cold.  I pulled that cord until I was blue in the face.  I finally put it on the tree bank and somebody else picked it up.  If I remember, it was the same white as above and the blower was a turquoise green.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

RandyLittrell

Wow, that's pretty cool! It looks really complete to me, I don't think you will need to find many parts. I bet that paint will really clean up well with some elbow grease. Have you ever used a clay bar? Might give it a try, can't wait to see it cleaned up!! 

Randy

Mike'sHorseBarn
On 12/18/2020 at 11:59 AM, RandyLittrell said:

Wow, that's pretty cool! It looks really complete to me, I don't think you will need to find many parts. I bet that paint will really clean up well with some elbow grease. Have you ever used a clay bar? Might give it a try, can't wait to see it cleaned up!! 

Randy

Never used a clay bar before, but I have heard of them. Any tips?

RandyLittrell
48 minutes ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

Never used a clay bar before, but I have heard of them. Any tips?

I would suggest a course one and you wet the paint with a little soapy water. Keep the paint wet ss you rub the paint, keep turning the bar and also squish it and turn the dirty surface inward. DO NOT DROP on the floor while using, it will pick up dirt and then can scratch the paint. Probably wouldn't be a big issue on an old tractor, but ruins the bar for working on a new car. They will take oxidized paint and surface rust off. 

Randy

• Thanks 1

WHNJ701

When I worked at the auto body shop, we would wash the car, then use the clay with spray wax, we did about 50 cars once because a contractor painter somewhere sprayed a 6' cyclone fence silver and over sprayed an employee parking lot.  Worked great to remove the over spray, took alot of time though

lynnmor

The paint on my car no longer felt smooth, so I took a clay bar to it and it became good as new..  The bar took on a reddish color, any of you guys have an idea where that may have come from?  :scratchead:

bds1984
11 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

The paint on my car no longer felt smooth, so I took a clay bar to it and it became good as new..  The bar took on a reddish color, any of you guys have an idea where that may have come from?  :scratchead:

Debris stuck in your car's paint?  Even on my silver Focus, the clay bar took on a red tint.  I just figured it was from all the touch up painting of Wheel Horses that caused that even though I was twenty feet away.  Clay bars are awesome, but take a bit of time.  

RandyLittrell
22 hours ago, jabelman said:

When I worked at the auto body shop, we would wash the car, then use the clay with spray wax, we did about 50 cars once because a contractor painter somewhere sprayed a 6' cyclone fence silver and over sprayed an employee parking lot.  Worked great to remove the over spray, took alot of time though

Worked at a Chevy dealer body shop before I went on disability and we used to use clay bars to get rid of railway brake dust on cars. The hot metal would stick to the paint and it would have little rust spots all over. Took it right off. 

Randy