ohiofarmer

Wheel Horse tractor lift assembly and comments

ohiofarmer

image.jpeg.997e9f28eba74628d053e796024fe7d6.jpeg  So here is my favorite tool in the shop. i like it so much i just bought the third one. With a nice set of casters, This lift will lift your tractor twenty inches off the floor to the bottom of the wheels lifting right off the frame. The lift arms will lift 34" off the floor, which means you can stand comfortably while doing engine work. The first picture is the box. Harbor freight sells these things, but they do not display them, and usually stock only one in the back of the store. They list them at $199, but the coupons work and i used a 25% off. If the sales staff do not want to give you a coupon, use your phone to start buying it online and show them that online sales will give the discount and they need to do it as well. The box they come in is gonna be beat up every time, but fortunately, the product inside is not likely to be damaged. big tough parts and the hardware is in bags.The order of assembly consists of adding the base legs to the lift tower by using 4 bolts that thread directly to the tower. Once you mount the hydraulic cylinder to its base with two bolts, the rest is finished with only five heavy bolts and three snap rings.I bought 5" casters that are rated for #320 each. with the lift at 1100 pounds , which in Harbor Freight pounds being llke dog years is about 750 or so.  As you can see from the side view, those lift bars are higher than a Rubbermaid 32 gallon trash can The actual lift height from the floor mounted on casters is about 33 inches. in factory config, it starts at 2" and goes to 28" but is advertised at 30"                                       

I included a pic of the lift slid under the tractor With the 5" casters , there is about 2.5 inches of clearance under the frame. I also use the little lift for many things around the shop including as a direct lift to a pickup truck bed as the thing will slide right beneath the truck bed. i use it for a welding positioning table and also for it's intended use as a motorcycle lift. Its proper catalog name is Harbor Freight High Position Motorcycle lift  Sorry the pictures are all out of order. I forgot that the casters were not assembled while photographed in place under the tractor.. It is not really fun to get the second bolt that holds the caster, but with needle nose pliers and a bit of patience, the casters can be mounted last.

About the only thing that needs improvement is those cheezy lift pads on the lift bars. gas and oil makes them come loose pretty quickly. Also the holding straps are junk and I do not use them.

maksimage.jpeg.fb6535e446184377ea1c0740c05d38df.jpegimage.jpeg.f1e951ea88dc7566abc2116cccc4aba3.jpeg

DSCN1285.JPG

DSCN1286.JPG

image.jpeg

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 6
  • Excellent 2

DennisThornton

I just bought one this week.  Still in the box.

Please continue to share your thoughts!

• Like 1

Handy Don

Cool gadget. 'course I'd need more than one tractor plus room to store it (and the other tractors) to make it even remotely practical for me.  I do have a set of wheel dollies (a.k.a. "car skates") that make it easier to push the tractor sideways into its parking place.

• Like 1

Alex175

I also went with a motorcycle lift to work on my machines, they can be quite handy.  I went with a full sized drive on style with removable side wings that help widen it out for other machines.  I've had many brands of things on it and it works great for me every time, from Suzuki's and Honda's, Snow Blowers and 3 Wheelers, Walk Behinds and Ride-Ons...but most importantly, Wheel Horses!

20191006_140359.jpg.e346a551648701eed7c6a48096adafc9.jpg

20180604_191522.jpg.c5bd8477d70a9d62479b382aa22b7349.jpg

20170825_134822.jpg.e95a5eaa44add4ce8b95d6f02bec1391.jpg  20170409_202930.jpg.5efcc81e960222b201dd5434f725d344.jpg  545905510_20190413_080938(1).jpg.8a0ead99b1c1ec8aaac2f205cec27bea.jpg

• Like 6

ohiofarmer
26 minutes ago, Alex175 said:

image.jpeg.97c0c0e2e80e307aa0e2de757b3f25c3.jpegI also went with a motorcycle lift to work on my machines, they can be quite handy.  I went with a full sized drive on style with removable side wings that help widen it out for other machines.  I've had many brands of things on it and it works great for me every time, from Suzuki's and Honda's, Snow Blowers and 3 Wheelers, Walk Behinds and Ride-Ons...but most importantly, Wheel Horses!

20191006_140359.jpg.e346a551648701eed7c6a48096adafc9.jpg

20180604_191522.jpg.c5bd8477d70a9d62479b382aa22b7349.jpg

20170825_134822.jpg.e95a5eaa44add4ce8b95d6f02bec1391.jpg  20170409_202930.jpg.5efcc81e960222b201dd5434f725d344.jpg  545905510_20190413_080938(1).jpg.8a0ead99b1c1ec8aaac2f205cec27bea.jpg

ohiofarmer

I am so sorry that somehow My motorcycle lift went in with your pictures. I guess it happened when I hit "Quote"  anyway, i use this one for the bikes and since my heated shop is 30inches higher than the concrete floor garage, the table lift lives out there.and lifts projects up and down to the garage floor   the green monster came from a factory and i rebuilt it. Rated at #2000,with a 42" lift height, it does not wiggle with any bike. BTW, I like old hondas and the one up there is a CB750 --a 1979..  yours may be the same or similar??

A bike lift table can be a great choice, but the penalty is it takes up floor space. i just roll the little ones under a work bench. I also use a lot of caster based stuff to set my projects on. i advised a guy with a bike shop who was complaining about his bike lift being taken up with waiting for parts bikes to just build some heavy caster tables and roll long term stuff on to them.  Then when his customers do not come through with promised parts or payment, he charges storage fees for table space. the tables he builds are at his preferred height and he uses the motorcycle lift to load them on the level and it works great.  They rent for $5.00 a day as long as the bikes set on them and that motivates the customer to not use his shop space for storage Easy to build for a hundred dollars a piece.  So anyway, here is the lift during final stages of repair. you can delete the picture that posted on your space if you wish. Again, my apologies.image.jpeg.fa23219595ca14ed62573bbfaf59eb83.jpeg

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 2

ebinmaine

We use only a floor jack and "optional supports" (boards) when lifting a tractor. 

I've been eyeing the different types of things you folks use to raise the entire work area. 

Some good ideas. 

ohiofarmer

If you google industrial lift tables. or industrial surplus lift tables, you can get a lot of bang for your dollar.. i got the big 30"x96" from these guys. https://hgrinc.com/?all=1&view&aisle&from&to&markdowns&newarrivals&sort&kw=Rotating Lift Table&per_page=24&min_price&max_price&pn=2&search_type&last_chance

They were in Cleveland. I have heard of guys buying 48x48 tables in the 4000 pound capacity range and using them under their cars for mid rise lifts. You have to be aware of the electric powered ones  because they might be three phase.

Southworth and Bishamon are good quality, and Southworth manufactures them somewhere in your neck of the woods, Eric. My table would be in the three to four thousand range new. I have about ten cents on the dollar into the thing.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

Southworth manufactures them somewhere in your neck of the woods, Eric.

Soon as I saw the name it rang a bell. 

Made in Gray Maine. About 45 minutes from us.  

RandyLittrell

Eric, here is a platform I built to work on my tractors and I made it from scrap left over from a large crate plate glass comes in. The center of it is open with a lip and I have boards cut that fit in it and slide back and forth for using a jack or whatever but you can move them and get under the tractor to work on stuff which is handy.

Ignore the cub on there! 

Now if a guy used wheels on one end you could lift it up and roll it out of the shop when you needed the room, even with a tractor on it if you made a removable tongue for it. Just jack it up and hook it to another tractor. It doesn't go up and down, but it was cheap!! 

20171126_120608.jpg

• Like 2

Handy Don
39 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

Eric, here is a platform I built to work on my tractors and I made it from scrap left over from a large crate plate glass comes in. The center of it is open with a lip and I have boards cut that fit in it and slide back and forth for using a jack or whatever but you can move them and get under the tractor to work on stuff which is handy.

Ignore the cub on there! 

Now if a guy used wheels on one end you could lift it up and roll it out of the shop when you needed the room, even with a tractor on it if you made a removable tongue for it. Just jack it up and hook it to another tractor. It doesn't go up and down, but it was cheap!! 

20171126_120608.jpg

I guess it's ok to work on a Cub if you have those yellow DeWalt tools!  My WH likes Milwaukee M12s! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

I guess it's ok to work on a Cub ! :)

Most of us red tractor people are accepting of the yellow tractor people. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Handy Don
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Most of us red tractor people are accepting of the yellow tractor people. 

Indeed! Well said. 

• Thanks 1

RandyLittrell
6 hours ago, Handy Don said:

I guess it's ok to work on a Cub if you have those yellow DeWalt tools!  My WH likes Milwaukee M12s! :)

When I was still working, I had M12's at work and really like them, sold them when I went on disability. I have dewalt out to the shop and B&D 20V max stuff at home! 

Randy

• Like 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, RandyLittrell said:

When I was still working, I had M12's at work and really like them, sold them when I went on disability. I have dewalt out to the shop and B&D 20V max stuff at home! 

Randy

Hi Randy. All these recent tools are so much better than the original cordless. Night and day, right?

I had Craftsman 19v stuff for a long time but when the day came that I could no longer get the batteries, I knew I had too change. Waited for an excellent sale at the HD and then worked with the tool department manager to include two display models--surprisingly, some were dusty but functional! Drill/Driver/Hammer, Impact, Multi, Hackzall, and circular saw a pile of blades and hole-saws, carry bags, and extra batteries. I'm extremely pleased with the performance and battery life of the brushless "Fuel" models.

• Like 1

RandyLittrell
18 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Hi Randy. All these recent tools are so much better than the original cordless. Night and day, right?

I had Craftsman 19v stuff for a long time but when the day came that I could no longer get the batteries, I knew I had too change. Waited for an excellent sale at the HD and then worked with the tool department manager to include two display models--surprisingly, some were dusty but functional! Drill/Driver/Hammer, Impact, Multi, Hackzall, and circular saw a pile of blades and hole-saws, carry bags, and extra batteries. I'm extremely pleased with the performance and battery life of the brushless "Fuel" models.

Yes, I have the brushless drill and driver out to the shop and they rock! My first cordless was in the mid eighties and you had to leave it on the charger when you were not using it basically, but boy was it nice to not have to plug in the cord or air line!! 

@ebinmaine Sorry that we have hijacked your thread, but seems like they tend to get that way!! 

Randy

Edited by RandyLittrell

ebinmaine
21 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

ebinmaine Sorry that we have hijacked your thread, but seems like they tend to get that way

Never never ever worry about that.

I like learning different stuff!!

• Excellent 1

DennisThornton
On 12/11/2020 at 10:59 PM, ohiofarmer said:

image.jpeg.997e9f28eba74628d053e796024fe7d6.jpeg  So here is my favorite tool in the shop. i like it so much i just bought the third one. With a nice set of casters, This lift will lift your tractor twenty inches off the floor to the bottom of the wheels lifting right off the frame. The lift arms will lift 34" off the floor, which means you can stand comfortably while doing engine work. The first picture is the box. Harbor freight sells these things, but they do not display them, and usually stock only one in the back of the store. They list them at $199, but the coupons work and i used a 25% off. If the sales staff do not want to give you a coupon, use your phone to start buying it online and show them that online sales will give the discount and they need to do it as well. The box they come in is gonna be beat up every time, but fortunately, the product inside is not likely to be damaged. big tough parts and the hardware is in bags.The order of assembly consists of adding the base legs to the lift tower by using 4 bolts that thread directly to the tower. Once you mount the hydraulic cylinder to its base with two bolts, the rest is finished with only five heavy bolts and three snap rings.I bought 5" casters that are rated for #320 each. with the lift at 1100 pounds , which in Harbor Freight pounds being llke dog years is about 750 or so.  As you can see from the side view, those lift bars are higher than a Rubbermaid 32 gallon trash can The actual lift height from the floor mounted on casters is about 33 inches. in factory config, it starts at 2" and goes to 28" but is advertised at 30"                                       

I included a pic of the lift slid under the tractor With the 5" casters , there is about 2.5 inches of clearance under the frame. I also use the little lift for many things around the shop including as a direct lift to a pickup truck bed as the thing will slide right beneath the truck bed. i use it for a welding positioning table and also for it's intended use as a motorcycle lift. Its proper catalog name is Harbor Freight High Position Motorcycle lift  Sorry the pictures are all out of order. I forgot that the casters were not assembled while photographed in place under the tractor.. It is not really fun to get the second bolt that holds the caster, but with needle nose pliers and a bit of patience, the casters can be mounted last.

About the only thing that needs improvement is those cheezy lift pads on the lift bars. gas and oil makes them come loose pretty quickly. Also the holding straps are junk and I do not use them.

maks

DSCN1285.JPG

DSCN1286.JPG

I mentioned that I bought, later I assembled and recently I used it.

I like it a lot but there's a serious issue with mine.  Tilts.  Tractor leans a bit in the direction of falling off.  Usable as is but noticeable lean that I've got to fix.  I see nothing I've done wrong and nothing I can simply adjust.  The two main lift arms tilt downward a bit with a C-85, loaded rears and snow blade.  Looks like I'll have to weld up a hole in each of 2 lift arms to the jack and reposition them a bit.  Or build something to slide over the main lift arms to correct for the tilt.  Very handy to have the tractor up high but probably not so good to have it slide off.

Have you seen any issues?

Maxwell-8
On 12/18/2020 at 5:21 PM, RandyLittrell said:

Ignore the cub on there! 

20171126_120608.jpg

How do you get it on there?

ohiofarmer
On 2/6/2021 at 12:34 PM, DennisThornton said:

I mentioned that I bought, later I assembled and recently I used it.

I like it a lot but there's a serious issue with mine.  Tilts.  Tractor leans a bit in the direction of falling off.  Usable as is but noticeable lean that I've got to fix.  I see nothing I've done wrong and nothing I can simply adjust.  The two main lift arms tilt downward a bit with a C-85, loaded rears and snow blade.  Looks like I'll have to weld up a hole in each of 2 lift arms to the jack and reposition them a bit.  Or build something to slide over the main lift arms to correct for the tilt.  Very handy to have the tractor up high but probably not so good to have it slide off.

Have you seen any issues?

Dennis, here are the issues. First, it is wise to find the center balance point and balance the load end to end when possible. Yes, there is tilt, but it is also possible to shim the load, and i use ratchet straps to contain the loads that i push on there. Honda round pipe motorcycle frames with grease on them especially.

Actually, for a long term project, the lift table shown for that Cadet would be excellent for any long term project. The table by Maxwell8 could be built to a height that allows setting the tractor off on it so long as there is room in your shop.

There is a motorcycle repair shop guy down the road who is always complaining that his air lift gets taken up with customer bikes when there is extra work on a torn down bike sets there waiting for customer to pay or parts to come in. I suggested the moveable fixed height table and he thought it was a great idea.because he could be working on five bikes at a time instead of complaining about his customers not having money.  He could also charge $5 a day to rent the tables.

As far as what a balanced load can be lifted, i had a c-121 on a heavy postal cart and lifted the entire thing, so probably 900 pounds. Of course there is no reason you couldn't add some fish plate corners to the stock lift to beef it up and especially at the tilting lift arms. I have also made lift sticks that insert in the ends of the lift arms and turn 90 degrees to the floor. I always let it rest on the mechanical lock support as well

Hope this helps.....

i keep saying that I want to build a super size and super duty version of that little red lift. One that a fella could lift a c-series up on a high shelf, or lift one side of a car off the ground. i keep seeing a one ton engine hoist as the skeleton of the thing.

DennisThornton
43 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

Dennis, here are the issues. First, it is wise to find the center balance point and balance the load end to end when possible. Yes, there is tilt, but it is also possible to shim the load, and i use ratchet straps to contain the loads that i push on there. Honda round pipe motorcycle frames with grease on them especially.

Actually, for a long term project, the lift table shown for that Cadet would be excellent for any long term project. The table by Maxwell8 could be built to a height that allows setting the tractor off on it so long as there is room in your shop.

There is a motorcycle repair shop guy down the road who is always complaining that his air lift gets taken up with customer bikes when there is extra work on a torn down bike sets there waiting for customer to pay or parts to come in. I suggested the moveable fixed height table and he thought it was a great idea.because he could be working on five bikes at a time instead of complaining about his customers not having money.  He could also charge $5 a day to rent the tables.

As far as what a balanced load can be lifted, i had a c-121 on a heavy postal cart and lifted the entire thing, so probably 900 pounds. Of course there is no reason you couldn't add some fish plate corners to the stock lift to beef it up and especially at the tilting lift arms. I have also made lift sticks that insert in the ends of the lift arms and turn 90 degrees to the floor. I always let it rest on the mechanical lock support as well

Hope this helps.....

i keep saying that I want to build a super size and super duty version of that little red lift. One that a fella could lift a c-series up on a high shelf, or lift one side of a car off the ground. i keep seeing a one ton engine hoist as the skeleton of the thing.

End to end weight was good and the blade frame provided the near perfect lift points and really, if the load was strapped it wouldn't be a big issue, but still annoying and unnecessary if it had been done right to start with.  I did find a perfect fit to slide into the lift arms to extend them for lighter loads.  Not sure what I'll do at this point.  Might cut it right at the lift arms' lift and reangle.  Wouldn't mind seeing that point beefed up some anyway.  

Got any more pictures?  Or some coming later?

Thanks!

RandyLittrell
9 hours ago, Maxwell-8 said:

How do you get it on there?

I used a pair of ramps like you would use to load one in your pickup with. I don't load in my truck, but I have an enclosed trailer with barn doors I use them on. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-10-in-x-84-in-steel-loading-ramps-set-of-two-60397.html

Randy

• Like 1

Maxwell-8
35 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

I used a pair of ramps like you would use to load one in your pickup with. I don't load in my truck, but I have an enclosed trailer with barn doors I use them on. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-10-in-x-84-in-steel-loading-ramps-set-of-two-60397.html

Randy

Ahh, i tend to buy all my machines in a no running conditions, Whould need to use an extra winch then.

RandyLittrell
16 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Whould need to use an extra winch then.

I have a small 12volt winch mounted on a board and I just screw it to the table and use jumper cables to winch it up! 

I have also used a small hand crank winch too. 

Randy

Edited by RandyLittrell
  • Excellent 1

ohiofarmer
On 2/7/2021 at 3:13 PM, DennisThornton said:

End to end weight was good and the blade frame provided the near perfect lift points and really, if the load was strapped it wouldn't be a big issue, but still annoying and unnecessary if it had been done right to start with.  I did find a perfect fit to slide into the lift arms to extend them for lighter loads.  Not sure what I'll do at this point.  Might cut it right at the lift arms' lift and reangle.  Wouldn't mind seeing that point beefed up some anyway.  

Got any more pictures?  Or some coming later?

Thanks!

I have a few ideas on the tilt issue. i carefully looked at my lift and what repairs or adjustments could be made.

First would be the evaluation phase. take a four foot straight edge and see if the lift maintains level with the base with no load and then loaded with a tractor. do this twice since I have two active lifts. Dennis, you could do the same and report your findings.

Second, we could look at the easiest way to correct the tilt with a full load. I see three ways to accomplish that. First, move the top bushing and re-weld it,  Second, make the lift paralell arms shorter by moving the holes tighter  which may mean making new parallel arms or somehow plugging and moving a drilled hole. Finally, we could change the lift carriage angle by cutting and re-welding the lift carriage.

I could do the stress test pretty soon as I have two tractors and lifts in the shop right now..  In any case, the lift cradle could use some re-inforcement with at least one heavy duty angle iron bolted or welded on for extra strength.  I feel a bit guilty that you went on my recommendation to buy this lift, so maybe we can get it fixed for you. In any case, Harbor freight will take it back if you have the receipt less than 90 days old.