John2189

Honda engine

John2189

I have a Honda gxv390 da23 that has pull start. I have a scrap gx340 qae with an electric start. I was going to put the starter on the 390, when I went swap flywheels , the magnet is about 1/4” out of line.  
I assume that would change the timing. Would it be different for the electric starter?  Would  it work?

john

slim67
6 hours ago, John2189 said:

I have a Honda gxv390 da23 that has pull start. I have a scrap gx340 qae with an electric start. I was going to put the starter on the 390, when I went swap flywheels , the magnet is about 1/4” out of line.  
I assume that would change the timing. Would it be different for the electric starter?  Would  it work?

john

If its a quarter inch before it passes the coil maybe but I would think if its on the other end then no. Put it together and try it.

Achto

A 1/4" would but the ignition way out of time. I don't think that it will work at all.

wallfish

Are the flywheels the same diameter? Maybe swap the ring gear on to the original flywheel?

I'm unfamiliar with those engines so just throwing this out there as an option

slim67
37 minutes ago, slim67 said:

If its a quarter inch before it passes the coil maybe but I would think if its on the other end then no. Put it together and try it.

Another thing to try is see what part numbers are for flywheels for gx340 and 390 with electric start.If they are the same then maybe your measurements off.

953 nut
54 minutes ago, slim67 said:

Put it together and try it

:text-yeahthat:    Is the 390 equipped with a charging system? May need to change over the bearing plate too, see how they look side by side. You already put the work into pulling the flywheels, may as well try.

JoeM

Sounds like the same story as the Kohler Twin that uses smart spark. The smart one flywheel is about 5 degrees different and advances through the smart box. Lining up the magnets you can see the keys are off some. I have not tried but they say if the engine will run with either flywheel, just might not have the same power. Some claim no difference. My Kohler kit came with a new flywheel and I went with it. If I would have had a second spare standard coil, I may have gave the odd one a try. Plus if it is out where you easily try it, all the better.

Worth a try.

slim67

From what I've seen the gx340 and 390 are the same flywheel.

John2189

I will put it on and try to pull start it.  I want to make sure it runs before I buy a starter. The 340 has a different mounting 

• Like 1

John2189

Ok I put the flywheel on and pull started it. I can’t tell any difference. It will run full throttle with blades on, sounds good. Now to buy a starter. 

thanks for your input 

John

• Excellent 2

slim67
4 hours ago, John2189 said:

Ok I put the flywheel on and pull started it. I can’t tell any difference. It will run full throttle with blades on, sounds good. Now to buy a starter. 

thanks for your input 

John

I'm happy to hear it worked out for you.