Sign in to follow this  
Just Piddling

Memorial day for all

Just Piddling

With Memorial day right around the corner, I would like to remind everyone of heroes who were before my time. I'm talking about the Greatest Generation, from the men who volunteered for war at 16 years old to the women who went to work the plants to keep the war machine going. It was not only the will of the soldiers, but also the will of the American companies and employees to produce ships and tanks faster than ever thought of that won the war. Can you imagine today's companies stopping their production to make weapons of war?

These people had American pride and dedication that lasted through four years of war and would have lasted for as long as needed. In contrast, we were attacked Sept 11, 2001 much like Pearl Harbor. We all went and bought remembrance and flag shirts and were united for one cause for about 6 months. We then reverted back to a divided nation. People were more worried about the worlds view, pushing their political party, money spent, and not offending someone.

If the Greatest Generation had taken the same attitude of my generation, I wonder what language this would be typed in.

So I would like for everyone to remember not only the men who gave all, but also the people at home who gave everything they had to support those men.

:omg::drool::drool:

PS- this is my opinion, not something I copied / paste.

kpinnc

Can you imagine today's companies stopping their production to make weapons of war?

Do we still produce anything? :omg:

I do agree with you Chris. My Grandfather fought in WWII, and though he never spoke of it much, the medals we found in a small box after his death did. He was a humble man who'd seen much more than anyone should have ever seen. He spent the last 5+ years of his life on kidney dialysis, and his doctor said he'd never seen a tougher human being. He said he'd sent Pa-pa to intensive care 4 times- and every time was certain he would die there. Somehow the old fella just was just too stubborn to give up. He was just one of millions with similar values, and this country needs such people now more than ever.

He was the type of man that never bragged on anything but his grandchildren. He always made time for us no matter how much pain he was in. My oldest daughter was lucky enough to have met him. Although she does not remember much, she remembers sitting in his lap laughing with him, and his kind words. I often wonder how painful it must have been for the children to crawl all over him, even though you'd better NOT tell them to leave him alone. He was the strongest human being I have ever known. It's difficult to put into words how such a gentle giant of a man could draw so much respect from those who knew him.

To get back to the point- I agree 100%. This holiday isn't for burgers and pool parties. It is for reflection and humble appreciation of those who not only served, but gave everything because they believe in something larger than themselves.

But we should also remember those who serve today- regardless of our thoughts about the conflicts they had no choice in deciding in. They follow orders, proudly, and trust that the men and women appointed over them have made the right decisions. They receive no formal thanks, nor do they ask for it. What we all take for granted every second of every day is a luxury to them. Hugged your children and other loved ones today? These men and women go more than a year without even being able to touch theirs, and an unfortunate few will never see them again. They rise each day (or night) and perform duties that the majority of us would think was beneath us, and they do it with a sense of duty most of us will never know.

I think that's something we should remember Monday while we are relaxing. We are enjoying freedom given to us by people we will never know, and never see. I assure you- they will be thinking of you. I certainly will be thinking of them.

Kevin

Just Piddling

I agree completely and apoligize if I sound like I was deminishing todays soldiers. I respect and honor anyone who has defended this country and I could never repay their service.

My soapbox was the attitude of the average citizen and the country as a whole.

Sorry again for any confusion. :omg:

kpinnc

I saw NOTHING wrong with your post.

I simply believe that today's men and women in uniform now serve an ungrateful nation in some ways. It ties in 100% with what you said Chris.

They should be mentioned each and every day on every news station until the last of them comes home. Our children should be taught daily of the sacrifice that the uniformed services provide for them. If someone has children from another country who would be "offended" by such a thing- They can go back where they came from. Why would I say such a thing? Because those people who "another" may find offensive are now fighting for THEM as well. As I said before- You don't have to agree with the war, or the reasons they were started. God knows I don't. But we damn sure better appreciate those who were willing to go in our place.

I'll shut up now...

Kevin

HorseFixer

:drool: Happy Memorial Day To All :drool: I am Especially thankfull to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice that we all may live in a free country! :omg: Amen! :(