DennisThornton

Cab Heater

Tractorhead
6 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

Need to know a little more about this:

image.png.3cb1adfd73c84e727d0d77e1ba5cf32d.png

I understand what you are doing but I've never seen one of these.  How does it work?

I have anotherone in the shed, 

It is a nice heater from a older Alde Waterheater for RV.

You will find info‘s here

https://www.alde.us/alde-heating-system/

Take a closer Look on convectors

that are simple Aluminum pipes with a folden thin Aluminum foil as convector 

to enlarge surface for heat transmission.

you can work even in other direction, and with other media‘s

put it in your Truck water line and blow with one outlet of the heater on the convector.

i think that‘s your idea to prewarm the Engine.

you just have to have a signal to start an added Waterpump in line, to circulate the 

coolant thru the Engine to heat it up also.

Edited by Tractorhead
  • Like 2

wallfish

2 heaters arrived today. I saw the self contained type like Tractorhead posted AFTER the others were ordered or I would have got those. Think they were only about $36 more. But it shouldn't be a huge task to make something.

Not sure if time will allow or not but it would be nice to fire one up over the weekend

• Like 2

DennisThornton

I'm not sure what I will do with it when it gets here but I had to have one at that price.  Gets cold up here and sometimes the power goes out, too!  Always had a wood stove but the house is not the only building I need to heat.  Still thing I just might install in my pickup or minivan for camping.  So many options...

• Excellent 1

wallfish

Use it as part of your prepping plan. Having available heat is a good thing.

Played with some of the parts to get an idea of what is what. The biggest problem I noticed with their parts is the tank comes as just a bottle, no fuel outlet which was in parts inside the tank. To get the fuel port installed, a hole needs to be drilled in the bottom. Not a big deal at all but getting the fuel port to stick through that hole from the inside could be a challenge and no way to hold it to tighten the nut. Think I might just drill a hole up by the filler neck and send a tube down from the top with a chainsaw type filter attached to it.

I kinda pulled the trigger to quick on these because looking around, this one is 8000w, all self contained and minimal more money.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Warmtoo-All-In-One-12V-8KW-Diesel-Air-Heater-Car-Boat-Parking-Heater-LCD-Monitor/324336274618?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200520130048%26meid%3D7853af73b7aa4bd1985889db4a592e97%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dco%26sd%3D124458356133%26itm%3D324336274618%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithDarwoV3BBEV2b&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Tractorhead
7 hours ago, wallfish said:

Played with some of the parts to get an idea of what is what. The biggest problem I noticed with their parts is the tank comes as just a bottle, no fuel outlet which was in parts inside the tank. To get the fuel port installed, a hole needs to be drilled in the bottom. Not a big deal at all but getting the fuel port to stick through that hole from the inside could be a challenge and no way to hold it to tighten the nut. Think I might just drill a hole up by the filler neck and send a tube down from the top with a chainsaw type filter attached to it.

I kinda pulled the trigger to quick on these because looking around, this one is 8000w, all self contained and minimal more money.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Warmtoo-All-In-One-12V-8KW-Diesel-Air-Heater-Car-Boat-Parking-Heater-LCD-Monitor/324336274618?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200520130048%26meid%3D7853af73b7aa4bd1985889db4a592e97%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dco%26sd%3D124458356133%26itm%3D324336274618%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithDarwoV3BBEV2b&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Hey john, 
don‘t berate yourself cuz a too fast click, 😎

ya know my rules - it‘s allway‘s better to have than to need..  🤪👍

DennisThornton
12 hours ago, wallfish said:

That too is a hard to beat price but for some of my uses TOO many BTUs.  And I think for my current thoughts I'd prefer the kit with more installation options.  Either way, I think they are all bargains!

DennisThornton
On 12/11/2020 at 5:04 PM, wallfish said:

2 heaters arrived today. I saw the self contained type like Tractorhead posted AFTER the others were ordered or I would have got those. Think they were only about $36 more. But it shouldn't be a huge task to make something.

Not sure if time will allow or not but it would be nice to fire one up over the weekend

Mine came in yesterday but I've yet to open it.  Any tips so far? @wallfish

Edited by DennisThornton

wallfish
3 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Any tips so far?

Yeah, don't pull off the caps on the fuel pump barbs in the house. They obviously tested it with diesel fuel.

I had only gone through all the parts. Haven't got to start it yet. Maybe some real fuel line is a good idea to get some. It looks like a lot of parts to put together in the pic but it's actually a fairly simple little unit

• Excellent 1

DennisThornton
1 minute ago, wallfish said:

Yeah, don't pull off the caps on the fuel pump barbs in the house. They obviously tested it with diesel fuel.

I had only gone through all the parts. Haven't got to start it yet. Maybe some real fuel line is a good idea to get some. It looks like a lot of parts to put together in the pic but it's actually a fairly simple little unit

That smell wouldn't bother me but the complaints from the super smeller sure would!  Thanks! 

Toyotomi test fires each unit before shipping and I'm quite impressed if this manufacture does as well!

I'm not even sure what I'm going to do with it yet but I think I could use 2 or 3 so I'm not worried.  Please let us know what you think when you get to it.

Tractorhead

Have mine now longer times and if allway‘s fires right up on first Start.

The quality seems Top notch until now.

Just the Casing inside was a little Sharp and i protected sharp metal edges with protecting Material,

to don’t scratch or cut a Fuelline or even Wire insulation.

That is the only worse i have found on the Unit until several Weeks of using.

I measured the heat on the blower Side was last time with 85 deg at Maximum ( 5.5 on Display)

I reworked my Setup a little ( tape the 125mm Hose from the Big Fan with Aluminum Tape).

That increases the Heat i can suck with that Fan thru the Heater up to 45deg*C.

so i can increase the Warm airflow that it works much better.

After last testing i could reach at -4*C Outside to a 18*C inside the Airstream after 3 meters.

Not Bad at all.

Actual the Big Fan runs on 1/3 Speed, so about 600sqm/h thruput can be used easily with warm Air.

Curiouse of your Experiences 

• Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D
On 12/8/2020 at 5:26 PM, DennisThornton said:

Need to know a little more about this:

image.png.3cb1adfd73c84e727d0d77e1ba5cf32d.png

I understand what you are doing but I've never seen one of these.  How does it work?

Exhaust cooler.. actually good idea, radiates some oth the exhaust heat off the fins there and keeps it in the room rather than sending that heat energy out the exhaust.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Tractorhead

A short review about my experiences i got over the whole Winter.

I have some needs to fire it up to have a Warm envoirement where i have to work.

I‘m still impressed on this Unit, even after at least 50 refills it allway‘s start up at first Try.

No weakpoints are found except the sharp edges on the sheetmetal i reduces with a plastic edge border.

The used in silicone fuel pipe stay tight and don‘t have any hard sports even after several long term runs with

36h max. This heater works like a charme since i install it.

I attached an electronic regulated 1900 cbm/h Fan to it as a Workplace heater to increases my Workplace temps

up to 15-18 deg C even if outside is just -4*C or less.

The most times i run it in full throttle with my external Fan sometimes with 1/2 up to 2/3 Airstream.

The envoiremental Air i can get out as maximum temp i found that it is able to heat up from -10*C

up to 15*C at 800cbm/h Airstream in full throttle after 3 meters.

that may sounds that much, but i be ok with that.

Few day‘s i decided after get trust in this unit, to let it run over 2 day‘s continousely with reduced throttle.

It still works reliable, i just have to take care about the refilling the fuel.

The maximum power the unit needs to fire up, when it runs stable the power consumpt drops to 1-1,3A

For that than also my 60AH Battery is good enough to run it 2 Day‘s without recharge.

In the display are lot‘s of indicators in a separate menu.

You can display the actual Voltage, the litres/h consumption, the Air Temp and few other items.

My summary conclusion is

it is a Nice Heater that works very reliable.

The price is definitely a Steal for that Unit.

If a Shed is little thermal insulated, it will heat it up to a comfy temp range,

if not you get at least a warm working spot - not a compare to a 20KW diesel heat gun,

but while it have a separated combustion camber with external exhaust you have not to stay in the exhaust fumes.

My attached external Fan was a good solution to increases the Airflow with a little reducing the Outlet temps.

The exhaust pipe lenght i use was a maximal 8 metres, what have no negative relations to the Exhaust stream,

You just have to take care, that condense water can be easily flow out without a trap.

A gently planed exhaust piping in a falling line will support that.

• Thanks 2