bottjernat1

Atco Brand!

bottjernat1

Anybody ever heard of this brand or own this brand of machine? Been around for a while. Anybody have any history on this brand?

FB_IMG_1607075125388.jpg

FB_IMG_1607075113350.jpg

FB_IMG_1607075161016.jpg

FB_IMG_1607075075255.jpg

FB_IMG_1607075136686.jpg

diesel cowboy

I've heard of them before but I have no knowledge of them beyond that I think they were made in England.  I think maybe someone on here might have posted about them or I saw an article in one of the magazines I get

• Like 1

DennisThornton

No!  And they look like they have been around since the Flintstones! But I think this is why we don't see them on this side of the big pond:

https://www.atco.co.uk/

FB_IMG_1607075113350.jpg

• Like 1

Stormin

Plenty of those over here. Atco was founded by a chap called, Charles Pugh in 1921. I think they are now owned by Stiga.

Google Atco. Plenty of info there.

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 3

DennisThornton

That ATCO Standard gas powered reel is just about the cutest mower I have ever seen!  And for a p lawn care company to be around for almost 100 yrs is awesome too!

And for those that didn't notice my earlier post:

https://www.atco.co.uk/

• Like 1

bds1984

I haven't seen an ATCO in person but I have seen a few Stigas while visiting family in Finland.  They seem like decent machines and very comparable to many Simplicity models here.  I definitely like the 4WD options of both brands but I would really like to know what model of transmissions they use.

• Like 1

Damien Walker
On 12/7/2020 at 4:52 PM, bottjernat1 said:

Anybody ever heard of this brand or own this brand of machine? Been around for a while. Anybody have any history on this brand?

FB_IMG_1607075125388.jpg

FB_IMG_1607075113350.jpg

FB_IMG_1607075161016.jpg

FB_IMG_1607075075255.jpg

FB_IMG_1607075136686.jpg

ATCO is probably the most famous UK lawn mower maker, certainly at domestic level and, as you can see on the crest on the front of the rotary are often badged with the Royal Warrant.

I grew up with a cast iron frame Viliers two stroke cylinder mower believed to be from around 1927 (came with the house) and the rotary shown in your pictures. That was a robust machine but its Aspera engine caused us considerable trouble. More recently I have been involved with an 8/36 tractor which was designed and built in house by Atco -  also a robust machine....the tractor shown above is not really an ATCO it's a clone...(but is probably very good never the less!). My current machine is a 30" ATCO  Royale complete with self steer seat - excellent piece of kit

Damien Walker

And yes, manufactured by Charles H Pugh and 'ATCO' is derived from the Atlas Chain Company which I think was Pugh's main company.