DennisThornton

Sick trans in 4WD Cub with FEL for $3000

DennisThornton

This just went up on Vermont Craigslist.  I find it very tempting but it's further than I want to go, the trans scares me, don't need another project...

But I'd think someone with hydro skills might want it.

Edited by DennisThornton
  • Like 1

diesel cowboy

Run as fast as you can AWAY from that one if it has trans. issues.  That series and the bigger 6000 series were prone to major drive line failures due to poor designs and cheaply cast powdered metal gears in the rear end.  Plus Cub Cadet has now orphaned them with limited parts availability left.  If someone wanted a decent loader to put on a D series or the diesel that's in it, it would be a good one to pick up for parts 

• Like 1

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, diesel cowboy said:

Run as fast as you can AWAY from that one if it has trans. issues.  That series and the bigger 6000 series were prone to major drive line failures due to poor designs and cheaply cast powdered metal gears in the rear end.  Plus Cub Cadet has now orphaned them with limited parts availability left.  If someone wanted a decent loader to put on a D series or the diesel that's in it, it would be a good one to pick up for parts 

I had a gut feeling that you just touched!  I still think there's almost $3000 in parts though.

It was in no danger from me but thanks for sharing for everyone else!

diesel cowboy
5 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

I had a gut feeling that you just touched!  I still think there's almost $3000 in parts though.

It was in no danger from me but thanks for sharing for everyone else!

Definitely $3000 worth of parts there.  Don't know what the Daihatsu engine goes for new but it was kind of overkill for the tractor so unless it had a snow blower or tiller on it I doubt it got worked very hard.  Plus the loader would fit onto a lot of other similar sized machines without a lot of work and the power steering setup could be used on almost anything

DennisThornton
2 hours ago, diesel cowboy said:

Definitely $3000 worth of parts there.  Don't know what the Daihatsu engine goes for new but it was kind of overkill for the tractor so unless it had a snow blower or tiller on it I doubt it got worked very hard.  Plus the loader would fit onto a lot of other similar sized machines without a lot of work and the power steering setup could be used on almost anything

I think if it was just down the road it would end up just outside.

T-Mo

I looked at a 5000 series Cub Cadet last year, but passed on it due to a lot of negative feedback on them, mostly on the transmission issues.  From what I can gather, they were okay for mowing, but the loader was a bit too much for the drivetrain.  I would avoid them if I were you.

DennisThornton

Guess it's not quite the bargain I thought.  Wasn't for me anyway but if it was a great deal I'd rather see someone from this forum get it.