giddyap

Harbor Freight generator

giddyap

I understand these are very hard to get. I ordered mine last night and now have a confirmation email. I heard some guys were canceled as many a three times, never to get one. Keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck to all who wants one   10000 Max Starting/7200 Running Watts Generator Head 45416 alternate photo #1

• Like 4

Stepney

I'd be curious to know how they hold up in general, I've considered getting one for a long time. 

• Like 2

ZXT

What KW is that generator head? I've thought about building one up to mount on the front of a Horse.

I recently bought a 12kw generator for cheap, that was said to need a starter. Figured the engine was actually bad from the way it looked to have been treated, but it actually turned out to only need a starter. The generator head was going on a WH if the engine turned out to be bad. 

giddyap

Harbor Freight site has all the specs. The build was posted right here on Red Square  

• Like 1

wallfish

Think the HF gen is 10K

If you convert an engine mounted gen you would most likely need to add some bearings somewhere for the side load of a belt. A coupled unit wouldn't work or last long with a pulley and the side load. Some don't have any bearing there.

Had one I was going to convert for use on a WH and thought about using the engine block and crank for the pulley to have a bearing and also using it to make a compressor. A gen compressor unit all in one. Unfortunately I have more ideas than time so it never got off the ground

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 3

giddyap

wallfish, could the generator slide into a flange bearing secured to an upright of the mounting plate?

Handy Don
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

Think the HF gen is 10K

If you convert an engine mounted gen you would most likely need to add some bearings somewhere for the side load of a belt. A coupled unit wouldn't work or last long with a pulley and the side load. Some don't have any bearing there.

Had one I was going to convert for use on a WH and thought about using the engine block and crank for the pulley to have a bearing and also using it to make a compressor. A gen compressor unit all in one. Unfortunately I have more ideas than time so it never got off the ground

By jove, he's onto something. A compressor and generator together? Very neat. A one-way valve in the sparkplug hole and away you go!

As he and others noted, it is very important to understand that the common generators do have only one bearing at the end away from the motor. The other end has a socket that fits over the tapered shaft of the motor and relies on the motor bearing.

• Like 2

WHX??

Need to bring @Achto in here Giddy.... You know him.. our resident genny expert. Most motor coupled genny motors  have a tapered shaft to rely on the motor bearings to support the driven end of the genny. If that HF one is pto driven no worries. 

• Like 1

giddyap

wallfish
7 hours ago, giddyap said:

wallfish, could the generator slide into a flange bearing secured to an upright of the mounting plate?

Assume you're asking about an engine mounted gen, not that HF gen. An engine mounted gen will have a socket to accept the taper shaft of the engine. so it will require a shaft to attach a pulley.

The crank shaft can be cut off at the counter weight near where the rod connects but the taper shaft still needs to be held tight into the gen. So making a plate with a bearing will work but it needs to also hold that taper shaft in there tight. 

• Like 1

Achto

You should have no problems running a belt to that gen. Note that the gen has to spin at 3600RPM's to obtain the correct frequency. The engine should be at least 15hp to run the gen at it's full potential. (10,000 watts or 10Kw) Rated continuous load is only 7200 watts or 7.2Kw and could be maintained with an 11hp engine.

Standard "stand by" engine rating is (1.5 HP per Kw.)

Standard "prime" power engine rating would be (2HP per Kw)

These figure are at 500ft above sea level. Higher elevation will effect the HP of an engine and will alter these figures a bit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JoeM

Seen these on evil bay. someone is marking them up!

2135191342_CapturebeltdrivenGeneratorebay120420207200watt.JPG.45c4ca5d397fc3dd2bce31138bba961f.JPG

• Confused 1

giddyap

My genny arrives12/7, total cost $380 direct from HF. NOT for Sale because no one can afford my asking price. lol

Edited by giddyap
  • Like 1

giddyap

Just a fast comment to say it works. After I align it better I'll call an electrician to check everything and the main breaker interlock the previous owner installed  

DSC06880.JPG

DSC06883.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Holy crap Giddy that's one fine tractor ther.... you been holding out on us?!?!? :lol:

Details details  my man..... pullies used, voltage & frequency output, load on the motor, RPMs, amp draws .....the whole nine yards!

We wanna know what happens when you throw the moxie to her and start letting smoke out! :ychain:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

giddyap
2 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Holy crap Giddy that's one fine tractor ther.... you been holding out on us?!?!? :lol:

:ychain:

Krylon Cherry Red, painted the muffler silver, new seat, LSE type steering wheel, black Cub foot rests, reverse hood decal, and "front heavy" look, streamlined. It takes a good eye to appreceate the finer things in life. Thank-you 

DSC06803.JPG

Edited by giddyap
  • Excellent 2

Lane Ranger

Harbor Freighter use  to sell a smaller version of that generator that would be good for work out in the field.   I think it was about 3000 to 4000 watts at 3600 rpm.

I had a Wheel Horse  General version at 3500 watts.  The thing was pretty heavy.  Used it a few times but kept hitting g my shins with it on the floor of the garage and sold to another Red Square member!  

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

giddyap
15 minutes ago, Lane Ranger said:

The thing was pretty heavy....  and sold to another Red Square member!  

Heavy indeed! I saw one sold and the frame was not much different than the Cub Cadet frame I used. Adaquate but angle iron would have been more rigid. 

At one tenth the cost of a stand alone, how can I go wrong?

• Like 2

wallfish

Nice setup!

The "front heavy" mod is a nice touch for that hood and it looks much better now IMO.

For operating it during an extended power outage that small tractor fuel tank would require frequent filling. Adding a larger fuel tank attachment to go along with that gen would allow for a much longer run time. A T in the fuel line with a couple shut off valves would make a nice quick connect so the tank doesn't necessarily need to be there all the time. Maybe a basic frame over the gen head or one on the rear hitch to cradle a larger tank?. :twocents-02cents:

A quick search found this 5 gallon tank for short money

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Engines/Engine-Accessories/Fuel-Tanks-Caps/5-Gallon-Plastic-Fuel-Tank-28-1903.axd 

• Like 2

WHX??

They're dang near giving it away Fish....

Says NLA tho???? You get the last one??

5 Gallon Plastic Fuel Tank

ITEM NUMBER: 28-1903PRICE: $14.95Out of Stock - No Longer Available

Edited by WHX24

lynnmor

An outboard fuel tank with the appropriate fittings would give you quick disconnect and long run times.  Prices vary and with luck you might find one at a yard sale like I did.

• Like 1

wallfish
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

They're dang near giving it away Fish....

Says NLA tho???? You get the last one??

5 Gallon Plastic Fuel Tank

ITEM NUMBER: 28-1903PRICE: $14.95Out of Stock - No Longer Available

Well,

There were 5 available when I posted the link this morning but I didn't order one. Maybe it's a better idea than I thought. :dunno:

They have another just like it but no cap.. It's cheaper and you can probably buy a cap separately. $9.95 and 31 in stock at the time of this posting so hurry up!!!!! LoL

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Engines/Engine-Accessories/Fuel-Tanks-Caps/5-Gallon-Plastic-Fuel-Tank-w-o-Cap-28-1903-A.axd

Edited by wallfish
  • Haha 2

giddyap
4 hours ago, wallfish said:

For operating it during an extended power outage 

A quick search found this 5 gallon tank for short money

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Engines/Engine-Accessories/Fuel-Tanks-Caps/5-Gallon-Plastic-Fuel-Tank-28-1903.axd 

I removed a wrap around tank from a C-81 that will be a spring project and repowered it with a Predator that has its own tank. For me, the wraparound tank is "free". 

DSC06400.JPG

• Like 1