ebinmaine

Lube for vertical shaft of floor model drill press?

ebinmaine

I have a drill press (no name) that was bought by my Grampa (new?) Sometime in the 60s or 70s, I think. 

I'll be moving it from the outdoor workshop to the basement workshop so it's more handy and a better temperate environment being heat and humidity controlled. Also, no @#$_&-+/!!! Mice in the basement. 

The main vertical shaft that holds the work table has a thin coating of rust. Just 3 or 4 years ago I removed all the rust and sprayed it with WD-40. Clearly that was not the correct thing to do. 

What should I use to coat that shaft that won't attract much dust and be a decent lubricant?

formariz

You can do the same thing I do on table saw top. After cleaning it I use paste wax. Let dry and buff it throughly. Material slides nicely through it, will not rust if something spills on it ( biggest problem here are coffee cups). I re wax it usually every month. All tool metal surfaces are treated like that.

Edited by formariz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Kenneth R Cluley

Good old paste wax, use it on all tool surfaces, table saw , etc. works even in FL with high humidity.

• Like 1

JAinVA

Paste wax for wood working machines is a must. Car wax has silicones that may cause issues if picked up by wood. A good car wax would do fine for protecting the column of floor mounted drill press.

• Like 1

roadapples

Had a friend who used paste wax on his guns instead of oil. Didn't have to whipe them down after every handling..

• Like 2

formariz

Paste wax is a much forgotten finish also extremely useful as a lubricant and for metal protection. It’s used here on a daily basis. From tool tops table saw blades, screw lubricant, plane sole lubricant,hand saw lubricant ,end grain sealant , you name it . I go through dozens of containers every year.

B66071AC-71ED-486E-9CF5-12E010417398.jpeg.c312d5b35c2b26cc974a423f8b48b0f3.jpeg

F3335817-2809-4BF4-96C1-82C521257AB9.jpeg

Edited by formariz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Mother's carnauba wax?

formariz
13 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Mother's carnauba wax?

For your purpose that should be fine.

• Thanks 1

lynnmor

I use Rustlick 631 on most any bare metal in my tool & die shop, it only takes a very light application.  Using anything, wax or oil, may be an issue for woodworkers.

formariz
36 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

I use Rustlick 631 on most any bare metal in my tool & die shop, it only takes a very light application.  Using anything, wax or oil, may be an issue for woodworkers.

As long as one lets wax dry and then buffs it out completely it is not an issue. It becomes an issue mainly when one uses sprayed on finishes and surface is contaminated with it creating unwanted reaction like "fish eye". However if all  necessary preparation is done correctly for the piece being finished such as correct sanding and cleaning it should never be a problem.

• Like 1

JoeM

I like garage door lube. It goes on wet and then drys and protects. I am pretty lazy when it come to wax on and wax off. 

273cea5c-a309-4d9a-9940-2ff7221226f6_1.cfa4ccd73079bf8f58214df9d3eeacf0.jpeg?odnWidth=undefined&odnHeight=undefined&odnBg=ffffff

• Like 1