ebinmaine

Let's discuss sugar or beet juice tire fill. Homemade??

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, bds1984 said:

23x10.50s AND iron weights that are at least 55 pounds.  I'd say that has easily added 300 pounds to the back tires

The Rimguard chart shows that size should hold 7 gallons but more can certainly be added. 

So roughly 77 lbs per tire(??)

77+77+55+55 is 264, give or take. 

I've done similar 2 seasons ago and the tractor had AWESOME grip. 

bds1984

I'm not sure about the iron weights Eric since they were off a Bolens. I can say they are heavier than the plastic ones both my other tractors have and those are 55lbs each. 300 seems like a decent estimate though.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
29 minutes ago, bds1984 said:

I'm not sure about the iron weights Eric since they were off a Bolens. I can say they are heavier than the plastic ones both my other tractors have and those are 55lbs each. 300 seems like a decent estimate though.

Ahh. Those old cast iron bolens weights are 65 each in many cases. That's what Trina has on her Pig Pen. 

Bow_Extreme

Do you all use tubes and fill the tubes or no tubes?

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Bow_Extreme said:

Do you all use tubes and fill the tubes or no tubes?

I use tubes. 

Main reason is it's easier to set the bead on the tires. 

• Like 1

Bow_Extreme
3 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I use tubes. 

Main reason is it's easier to set the bead on the tires. 

Thank You

• Like 1

Pullstart

When I fill the 27x10’s I’m going to Bead Seal one bead, then break the other down and fill through the bead.  A ratchet strap will help the top bead seat, after sealer is applied to that side too.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, pullstart said:

When I fill the 27x10’s I’m going to Bead Seal one bead, then break the other down and fill through the bead.  A ratchet strap will help the top bead seat, after sealer is applied to that side too.

I've heard or read somewhere about putting the tire and wheel being filled on top of a rim of similar size. This lets the tire sag a little if it can thereby getting more fluid in. 

Please keep us posted as to how much fluid you're able to put in. I'd be curious to see if it's more than the Rimguard charts. 

My 6.70-15 rears charted at 7 gallons each so that's what I was billed for but the guy said it was "all o' that". 

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I've heard or read somewhere about putting the tire and wheel being filled on top of a rim of similar size. This lets the tire sag a little if it can thereby getting more fluid in. 

Please keep us posted as to how much fluid you're able to put in. I'd be curious to see if it's more than the Rimguard charts. 

My 6.70-15 rears charted at 7 gallons each so that's what I was billed for but the guy said it was "all o' that". 

because I can cheat and have the tire machine, I’ll bead seal the one side, seat the tire and wheel, then break down just the unsealed side.  It’ll be a process, but I feel like it’ll be well worth it.  Having 2 spare cases of RV antifreeze after winterizing the pool and camper, I have enough to play around with.  I still intend to do some water/sugar playing around and also RV antifreeze/sugar too.  My 27x7.50-12 tires took close to 9 gallons each.  As you mentioned, each gallon might have the ability to dissolve 8 more lbs of sugar within.  I will try with the antifreeze too.  Imagine about 18 lbs / gallon, and the possibility of fitting over 10 gallons per tire in.  That’s 360 lbs of traction adder.  With that said, I probably don’t need to worry about a limited slip differential in that machine, I’ll want to have some slip if the need arises.

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

I can guarantee you won't find me on a tractor at -20 degree's!!!!! 

My hat is off to you Eric!!

Randy

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

I can guarantee you won't find me on a tractor at -20 degree's!!!!! 

My hat is off to you Eric!!

Randy

Somebody gotta move da snow bub. 

:occasion-snowman:

• Like 1

RandyLittrell
On 11/29/2020 at 8:13 PM, ebinmaine said:

Somebody gotta move da snow bub. 

:occasion-snowman:

It melts eventually!!     :orcs-cheers:

Randy

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
55 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

It melts eventually!!     :orcs-cheers:

Randy

Oooof. 

YYYEEEAAAHHH. 

2 or 3 seasons ago now Trina and I went out the back door into the forest snowshoeing. There's a part of our backyard with a 2 to 3 foot recess and stone wall. 

We'd had a good solid season's snow at that point. 

As we came back in the house we saw a small black spot on the ground and stepped right over it. We figured out later it was the cover of our gas grille. It's 5 FEET tall. 

So yeah.... It'll melt eventually. Like in May..........

:happy-bouncyredfire:

• Haha 2

Pullstart

I recall that story, when it happened!  

• Like 1

Pullstart

So... sugar does take up some room.  RV antifreeze pretty much weighs as much as water.  It cannot saturate as much sugar.  1 cup water  saturates ALMOST all of 1 cup sugar.  RV antifreeze does not.

I’ll stick these both in the freezer for a few days and see what happens.

21FE8420-09B8-4BF8-A0EC-12D4C3C334C5.jpeg

60E21D70-1663-4345-94EB-C084F8FF02D3.jpeg

0FC0ECBA-D5AF-4DCF-A442-2074F40E221F.jpeg

6B57EB1B-2A39-465A-86AC-E8152C009651.jpeg

94D5E710-6593-4297-9BFC-06FA7B1CA154.jpeg

2EE60030-E40F-429D-A273-4C53776A8F1E.jpeg

4268B78E-04E7-47B3-9169-EE5ECEB5CC4A.jpeg

• Excellent 3

ebinmaine
49 minutes ago, pullstart said:

So... sugar does take up some room.  RV antifreeze pretty much weighs as much as water.  It cannot saturate as much sugar.  1 cup water  saturates ALMOST all of 1 cup sugar.  RV antifreeze does not.

Kevin if you haven't already got that stuff in the freezer it might not be a bad idea to put the sugar water in a blender or food processor type machine for about a minute and see if it shrinks. 

I say that because I know from past experience if you add SALT to water it isn't thoroughly mixed until the water goes back to CLEAR. I do NOT know if sugar does the same thing .

I do know that they are bonded in different chemical ways and that's why the salt water temperature freezing point is so much lower. 

The sugar according to what I was reading, should prevent the water from freezing until something in the area of 10° F above zero. 

Thanks for taking the time to do this experiment. Hopefully your kids are getting science credit for it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Kevin if you haven't already got that stuff in the freezer it might not be a bad idea to put the sugar water in a blender or food processor type machine for about a minute and see if it shrinks. 

I say that because I know from past experience if you add SALT to water it isn't thoroughly mixed until the water goes back to CLEAR. I do NOT know if sugar does the same thing .

I do know that they are bonded in different chemical ways and that's why the salt water temperature freezing point is so much lower. 

The sugar according to what I was reading, should prevent the water from freezing until something in the area of 10° F above zero. 

Thanks for taking the time to do this experiment. Hopefully your kids are getting science credit for it. 

I actually did this one myself, before the sleeping beauties arose from their beds... thank you very much!  :ROTF:

Great idea to better mix it!  For now, I am going to try to do this as back yard shade tree as I can.  In large scale, I’d like to do this in the shop, plus I’m sure Mrs. P would appreciate me NOT sticking RV pink in the Ninja blender :hide:

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
15 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Mrs. P would appreciate me NOT sticking RV pink in the Ninja blender

What she doesn't know won't hurt her....

I DID NOT SAY THAT

• Haha 3

Pullstart
On 12/1/2020 at 8:12 AM, pullstart said:

As the world turns.... these are the days of our lives!

I pulled these out of the freezer the other day.  

I have since thawed the slushy sugar water, mixed the two solutions and today put them back in the freezer.  The digital display in the freezer says -4.  I’ll check it again soon.

4570D0D9-A27F-476F-B5EA-D125129CC78E.jpeg

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Combining a gallon of RV antifreeze with a gallon of sugar gives a total weight of 15.45 lbs. I do realize the SIZE is no longer a gallon because the sugar adds volume to the RV antifreeze. I don't know how much. According to online sources it should be somewhere around 1.6 to 1.7 times the initial volume of the RV antifreeze. So 1 gallon AF plus 1 gallon sugar = approximately 1.7 gallons of solution. Which weighs the above 15.45 lbs. 

Again ... All approximate numbers. 

That figures to a little over 9 lbs per gallon of solution weight. 

For those of us not near a distributor of Rimguard it's a good alternative. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chestnut

I'm late to this party but I've been looking for a way to add weight to my snowblower tractor. Reading through the thread someone mentioned a shop that was filling tires with a "corn based product". Probably high fructose corn syrup. Found an online restaurant supply company that sells 5 gallons for $33.99. It's 71% sugar 29% water (similar to honey). I also didn't check for shipping costs. 11.14 pounds per gallon. 

I assume the rimguard has solved the problem of spoilage of the sugar solution. That probably makes it worth the $4 a gallon plus labor to get it done.

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Chestnut said:

I assume the rimguard has solved the problem of spoilage of the sugar solution. That probably makes it worth the $4 a gallon plus labor to get it done.

Go over to Sanford Maine (Central) to get your tires filled and it's a lot less with the Rimguard.

I just got the ones for Colossus done a month or two ago and they charged me $3 per gallon....

You know I don't think they charged me ANY labor....

Chestnut
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Go over to Sanford Maine (Central) to get your tires filled and it's a lot less with the Rimguard.

Another reason to take the route through Sanford. Everything seems to take forever because if the back and forth. Mother in law is staying with us for the winter. In Vassalboro last weekend for a medical appointment.

• Like 1

Pullstart

• Heart 1

TJ5208

so how would you fill a tube and fill the tire with air  i think maybe rv antifreeze would work it heavy and cheap and it does have a pretty good freeze resistance and then also washer fluid would work to so whatever you do will probaly work out