ebinmaine

BBT's next restoration project

lynnmor
1 hour ago, Mickwhitt said:

As we would say over here it looks a Reight Bobby Dazzler. 

We learned that over here from watching the show about Oak Island.

• Like 2

Mickwhitt

I could have said it was a Brammah. 

Now that's a quinticentially English saying. 

Mick 

• Thanks 1

oliver2-44
14 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

BBT has done a grand job on that stove.

As we would say over here it looks a Reight Bobby Dazzler. 

We have an inset Woodburner and cook jacket potatoes inside the fire box. They are the best jackets, skins as hard as a cricket ball. 

Sorry to get off topic, but I had to ask @Mickwhitt“ what are jacket potatoes”. 
Are the just potatoes wrapped in Aluminum foil and backed with the skin on? 

• Like 1

Mickwhitt

Oliver, great Scott no! Not JUST potatoes baked in foil with the skin on!

They are potatoes roasted in their skins, not necessarily, but sometimes in ALUMINIUM foil. Lol

It's a British delicacy.

When I was young we used to have bonfire night in November to remember the gunpowder plot of 1605 (that's the year, not five past four in the afternoon).

Every street lit their own communal bonfire and burned the ringleader, Guy Fawkes in effigy. A good old night's entertainment for the kids lol. 

Well potatoes would be rolled into the bottom of the bonfire and fished out after an hour or so. The outside virtually burned to a crisp and the inside cooked.

Served with butter and cheese they were part of my childhood. 

Mick 

• Excellent 3

oliver2-44
11 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

Oliver, great Scott no! Not JUST potatoes baked in foil with the skin on!

They are potatoes roasted in their skins, not necessarily, but sometimes in ALUMINIUM foil. Lol

It's a British delicacy.

When I was young we used to have bonfire night in November to remember the gunpowder plot of 1605 (that's the year, not five past four in the afternoon).

Every street lit their own communal bonfire and burned the ringleader, Guy Fawkes in effigy. A good old night's entertainment for the kids lol. 

Well potatoes would be rolled into the bottom of the bonfire and fished out after an hour or so. The outside virtually burned to a crisp and the inside cooked.

Served with butter and cheese they were part of my childhood. 

Mick 

Learn something on here every day. Some days even a little history and cooking class. 

• Excellent 4

ebinmaine

The beautiful old Clarion stove has been well tested and used for a couple months last year.  

Turns out it's even less efficient than one could imagine. It burns roughly TWICE the wood to keep the upstairs warm.  

The real issue though is that the body of the stove gets incredibly HOT and makes accessibility very difficult without burning oneself. 

Trina's been using wood stoves her entire life. Even she decided that as pretty as this one is, it isn't remotely practical as a heater.  

So...in goes the other stove she had restored before this one.  

No worries.  

She still really likes the look of the antique Clarion though so she repurposed it. 

20240210_115859.jpg.36e22d25819f890df54a002bc93b2174.jpg

There's now an electric scented wax burner in there!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1